what do you think of my stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

favabean

favabean
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, you guys seem to know your stuff, so I will give you a little something about my academic history, and you give me your honest opinion.

I have an Honours BSc. plus I completed an extra year of undergrad courses to sprice up my GPA. 1st, 2nd and 3rd year of undergrad I averaged a 2.8 GPA. My fourth year I climbed up to a 3.50. My extra undergrad year earned me a 3.67. I have shadowed a dentist (still do), have a several volunteer activities under my belt, worked for 4 years in a helath related field and now work in clinical research. My Canadian DATs as follows: AA19, RC20, Bio20, Chem17, Perception18, Carving26, SciTotol18

Have I somehow made up for the first 3 years of undergrad? Will adcom see that I really improved the last 2 years?
I applied to many schools, mostly private. A straight up, realistic review of my chances would be much appreciated. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Favabean - I think that you have a good shot (and didn't you also major in art history? kudos). Yes, adcoms do look for a progression in you grades, and if everything is as you have stated in your post, then that should be very evident. Having experience shadowing a dentist and worked in a health related field are also items that bode well in your favor. If American dental schools give the same weight to Canadian scores as they do to the American DAT (i.e. a 20 = 20) then I think you have some solid scores. I aniticipate you being flooded with secondaries and eventually invitations to interview. Best of luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sprgrover - thanks for the reply, it was very encouraging. And congrats on your interviews (I just checked out the interview post) and best of luck.

Fruity - have you done the Can DAT yet? If I am not mistaken, you once asked whether or not UBC favours BC students. Well, I just spoke with admissions a couple of days ago, and I was told that as of this year, they are not favouring BC students and that everyone in Canada has an equal shot. They will not be accepting US students, however.

favabean said:
Sprgrover - thanks for the reply, it was very encouraging. And congrats on your interviews (I just checked out the interview post) and best of luck.

Fruity - have you done the Can DAT yet? If I am not mistaken, you once asked whether or not UBC favours BC students. Well, I just spoke with admissions a couple of days ago, and I was told that as of this year, they are not favouring BC students and that everyone in Canada has an equal shot. They will not be accepting US students, however.

I was there for the summer and about 32% of the class are from CAN.

favabean said:
Ok, you guys seem to know your stuff, so I will give you a little something about my academic history, and you give me your honest opinion.

I have an Honours BSc. plus I completed an extra year of undergrad courses to sprice up my GPA. 1st, 2nd and 3rd year of undergrad I averaged a 2.8 GPA. My fourth year I climbed up to a 3.50. My extra undergrad year earned me a 3.67. I have shadowed a dentist (still do), have a several volunteer activities under my belt, worked for 4 years in a helath related field and now work in clinical research. My Canadian DATs as follows: AA19, RC20, Bio20, Chem17, Perception18, Carving26, SciTotol18

Have I somehow made up for the first 3 years of undergrad? Will adcom see that I really improved the last 2 years?
I applied to many schools, mostly private. A straight up, realistic review of my chances would be much appreciated. thanks!

It's been said that one of the most important things as far as your grades are concerned is the grade trend. If you sucked at the beginning, but you have a positive grade trend, it shows you matured...especially if you are getting A's and B's in alot of upper-division sciences. I would say you have a good chance.

Thanks everyone! :)

I personally think nothing will make up for a lousy GPA, which you have. You can gain some ground by doing well at the end of undergrad and kicking butt on DAT, but it will be tough, no doubt about it. You have a good shot at admittances, but not for any particular school, not a chance in hell. What I am saying is to apply to many, many, many schools: 18+. Apply to all private and do not, do not apply to state schools for which you are not a resident. That is just foolish. Since your GPA sucks be on comparison to avg admittance do not concern yourself with the particular schools avg GPA. None of the school I thought valued DAT asked for an interview with me.

favabean said:

sorry, i'm just procrastinating now, searching old posts..and i just realized u had directed a post to me....
to answer, yes, i've done the Can DAT twice..didn't improve too much aside from carving and PAT...but my carving is no where close to yours :D

Thaxil said:
I personally think nothing will make up for a lousy GPA, which you have. You can gain some ground by doing well at the end of undergrad and kicking butt on DAT, but it will be tough, no doubt about it. You have a good shot at admittances, but not for any particular school, not a chance in hell. What I am saying is to apply to many, many, many schools: 18+. Apply to all private and do not, do not apply to state schools for which you are not a resident. That is just foolish. Since your GPA sucks be on comparison to avg admittance do not concern yourself with the particular schools avg GPA. None of the school I thought valued DAT asked for an interview with me.
3.5 and 3.67 are considered lousy? :confused: I agree that he won't have good chances at state schools, but his stats are solid.

the question is, what is your AADSAS calculated gpa's?

wow...old posts creep up and bite you in the ass, don't they? :oops:

ok, here is what AADSAS calculate: cumGPA 3.1, sciGPA 2.7 (all much lower than I expected!!!!) My last 2 years of undergrad courses were, according to aadsas, 3.5 and 3.83 (this one was higher than I expected!), but these 2 great years were not enough to bring me over the top. :(

no need to tell me how uncompetative I am ;) , I have a pretty realistic view. This forum has taught me alot. I just hope to get in somewhere :rolleyes:

Oh, and everyone keeps calling me a guy....i'm a gal!!!

favabean said:
Oh, and everyone keeps calling me a guy....i'm a gal!!!

i realized that! :eek:
but i didn't know if it was my place to say anything..lol :laugh:

u know who likes favabeans?....hannibal :eek:

fruity_trident said:
i realized that! :eek:
but i didn't know if it was my place to say anything..lol :laugh:

u know who likes favabeans?....hannibal :eek:

Yesss.....and a nice chianti!