What do you think of your life? (guaranteed spam-free)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basupran

ortho, study, cars, lift
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, how is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This post makes me want to kill hookers off of craigslist.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be better if I had a half billion dollars.

I don't see that happening.

So other than that, I would have to say my life is fairly sweet.

How's my life? I just keep thinking about how all these insanely craptastic things have happened to me over the last couple of years and how I'm still surprisingly OK. And then I feel old because I've had to deal with all this stuff (also because I'm turning 26 in a few weeks...and the idea of going past the mid-20's is freaking me out).

So, since coming to med school I've:
1) Lost my life savings in the financial meltdown...then ran up a rather hilarious debt trying to recoup my losses (don't worry, I won't start robbing people to pay my bills-I should be clear of non-academic debt in only a few months).
2) Lost one of my best friends from college to a genetic disease.
3) Lost my cousin (to one of the most unlikely things to kill you ever).
4) Found out that my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and had hidden this fact from me for half a year to not distract me from medical school. Of course, I only found out because my brother found out when someone messaged him on facebook.

Mostly I just feel really, really old. Like I've had to deal with 30 years worth of crappy things in a year and a half. The fact that I've started coloring my damned hair with hair dye because it's turned grey doesn't help (my hair goes grey whenever I'm stressed out, so essentially the last time it was all black was my last summer vacation in college). And the pressure of step 1 isn't helping with my stress either, I've been sleeping like crap lately-either crazy 5 hour nights where I wake up panicked about class or step 1 (this has never, ever happened to me before the last month) or I end up sleeping way too much. Right now I've been up since waking up waaay too late yesterday.

Thankfully I have pretty awesome family and friends. It'd be a lot harder to stay focused without them.

Last edited:
How's my life? I just keep thinking about how all these insanely craptastic things have happened to me over the last couple of years and how I'm still surprisingly OK. And then I feel old because I've had to deal with all this stuff (also because I'm turning 26 in a few weeks...and the idea of going past the mid-20's is freaking me out).

So, since coming to med school I've:
1) Lost my life savings in the financial meltdown...then ran up a rather hilarious debt trying to recoup my losses (don't worry, I won't start robbing people to pay my bills-I should be clear of non-academic debt in only a few months).
2) Lost one of my best friends from college to a genetic disease.
3) Lost my cousin (to one of the most unlikely things to kill you ever).
4) Found out that my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and had hidden this fact from me for half a year to not distract me from medical school. Of course, I only found out because my brother found out when someone messaged him on facebook.

Mostly I just feel really, really old. Like I've had to deal with 30 years worth of crappy things in a year and a half. The fact that I've started coloring my damned hair with hair dye because it's turned grey doesn't help (my hair goes grey whenever I'm stressed out, so essentially the last time it was all black was my last summer vacation in college). And the pressure of step 1 isn't helping with my stress either, I've been sleeping like crap lately-either crazy 5 hour nights where I wake up panicked about class or step 1 (this has never, ever happened to me before the last month) or I end up sleeping way too much. Right now I've been up since waking up waaay too late yesterday.

Thankfully I have pretty awesome family and friends. It'd be a lot harder to stay focused without them.
Not to sound insensitive, but I am intrigued...

2004042511484000_six-flags-trip-4-25-2004-078.jpg

AWASOME!!!! this is the happiest time in my life. And that's not just the manic episode talking.

scared%20to%20death%20on%20the%20roller%20coaster%21.jpg

I agree. Can't wait to get off the goddamn ride.

You can get through anything with great friends. Saying 26 is old is pretty silly, but otherwise- I don't envy you. Fortunately, for most people hard times yield to better ones. I hope happiness is around the corner for you, too.

(Sorry if this sounded like a greeting card... I really did mean it-)

I don't have time to go to the gym as often as I used to. If I go out to the bar it's once a week, and even then I'm home early so I can get up and study the next morning. I couldn't even tell you if American Idol is still on TV (but I will always manage to find time for 24). My friends are all settling down to get married and my girlfriend knows it's out of the question till med school is over. I don't have hobbies anymore because my hobbies are studying. I'm tired, exhausted, beaten, bruised, battered, and I haven't even started third year yet. But you know what, there isn't anything I'd rather be doing.

I don't have time to go to the gym as often as I used to. If I go out to the bar it's once a week, and even then I'm home early so I can get up and study the next morning. I couldn't even tell you if American Idol is still on TV (but I will always manage to find time for 24). My friends are all settling down to get married and my girlfriend knows it's out of the question till med school is over. I don't have hobbies anymore because my hobbies are studying. I'm tired, exhausted, beaten, bruised, battered, and I haven't even started third year yet. But you know what, there isn't anything I'd rather be doing.

Why? A lot of my classmates, including me, got married during medical school. Sure, nothing extravagant but still very doable. Why torture the poor girl and blame med school for it?

Why? A lot of my classmates, including me, got married during medical school. Sure, nothing extravagant but still very doable. Why torture the poor girl and blame med school for it?

Maybe he doesnt want to do it

You said it, not me. If that's the case, it should go into the plus category of "I have this excuse to postpone marriage for another 4 years, yay" rather than "woe is me, my friends are settling down, getting married but I have to deal with this first."

All in all, I'm pretty happy with life. I get to spend my time doing and learning things I find interesting. I'm doing pretty well so far, which is nice. For the most part I have a lot of flexibility in how I spend my time (obviously I'm not 3rd year yet). I've got friends in medical school and friends outside of medical school for when I need some distance.

Sure, I may be broke, but I am notoriously low-maintenance. I think I would be a lot less happy if 1) buying and/or owning things was a large part of what made me happy, and 2) I had to spend 60-80 hours a week studying as some people here claim to.

To be honest this is the happiest I've been in my whole life, even though things aren't perfect. I feel less uncertainty, which is good, and for all the studying and work we have to do I still get to sleep as late as I want. I enjoy most of the intellectual content of medical school and I'm starting to feel more and more competent clinically.

Also I recently achieved my goal of burning 2 consecutive miles in 12:40. Which, according to wikipedia, is faster than the slowest US middle school student in the top 100.

Those little bastards are fast.

Just surviving one day at a time, one day a a time, surviving just so we can live another day...