What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctormo24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted your opinion about the courseload.

Organic 2 + Lab (4 Credits)
Physics 1 w/o Calc + Lab (5 Credits)
Calculus 1 (4 Credits)
Human Anatomy Lab (1 Credit)

I plan on doing at least 8-10 hours of research. Math hasnt always been my strongest subject and im nervous about physics. Should I just leave Calc 1 for next semester after I finish Organic 2 and take another upper division science course?

Members don't see this ad.

\I plan on doing at least 8-10 hours of research. Math hasnt always been my strongest subject and im nervous about physics. Should I just leave Calc 1 for next semester after I finish Organic 2 and take another upper division science course?

No, I think you'll be fine with this load.

If you're worried about calc and physics, I'd drop one and take something else this semester. It's not worth it to squeeze everything into one semester if your grades will suffer. If you think you can handle it all, though, then by all means go for it. You could always cut down the number of hours of research if you had to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you be working any during the semester?

I did 25 hours/week working and
Organic1
Calc1
Bio1
and... some other mildly difficult course

All in a semester and it turned out fine. I'm not that smart compared to other SDNers either... It's do-able.

How was Organic I? I found Organic II to be more challenging so it ate up more of my time. Otherwise your load is manageable. My only concern would be it's all math/science...sometimes one of those silly humanities courses can be a nice change of pace.

Also, what year are you? You may consider switching out one of those sciences for a humanities requirement course and then completing that science over the summer. This also depends on your school and the difficulty of courses, etc. Do some research on the courses and how other students in the past have found them to be. I believe there is a site called ratemyprofessor.com that may be helpful in evaluating the difficulty of the courses.

Good luck!

It is my Junior year. I ask because I've got an opportunity to do research at a medical school and I need to give a minimum of 10 hours, taking Organic 2, Physics 1 and Calc 1 would give me only 8 and the director said that if thats the case we may need to hold off until next semester. If I drop Calc 1 and take another class such as medical terminology that will clear up a lot of time and give me about 12-15 hours for research allowing me to work in the lab.

Is dropping Calc to leave it for another semester and doing the research worth it?

Just wanted your opinion about the courseload.

Organic 2 + Lab (4 Credits)
Physics 1 w/o Calc + Lab (5 Credits)
Calculus 1 (4 Credits)
Human Anatomy Lab (1 Credit)

I plan on doing at least 8-10 hours of research. Math hasnt always been my strongest subject and im nervous about physics. Should I just leave Calc 1 for next semester after I finish Organic 2 and take another upper division science course?

That seems like a nice schedule, I'm surprised Organic 2 is only 4 credits at your school, at mine it's 5 total (lecture + lab). About your dropping Calc, you should check to see if the drop in total credit hours will still leave you as a full-time student, but other than that I think there's really no need to rush taking the class since you're not taking calc-based physics. Just take it when you feel most comfortable taking it.

How'd you do in Orgo I? If you struggled, you may want to consider dropping one of the other classes (i've found it helpful to keep classes in sequence), but if you were able to take it on pretty well, i'd say you're good to go.

I did very well in organic. My plan is to not take Calc this semester so that I have time to do research so my final schedule would be.

Organic 2 + Lab
Physics 1 + Lab
Medical Terminology
Human Anatomy Lab
14 Credits Total

Research 12 hrs/week

i think you're good either way, it sorta comes down to the kind of workload you can pull and still get a 4.0.