What does constitutional mean in review of systems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
in the review of systems part of a SOAP note, what does constitutional mean?

Members don't see this ad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_symptoms

Constitutional symptoms refers to a group of symptoms that can affect many different systems of the body.

Examples include weight loss, fevers, fevers of unknown origin, hyperhidrosis, generalized hyperhidrosis, chronic pain, fatigue, dyspnea, and malaise.[1]

Other examples include chills, night sweats, and decreased appetite.[2]

Generally, they are very nonspecific, with a vast number of diseases and conditions as potential cause, thereby requiring further evaluation for any diagnosis.

In general, you should google these types of things. For starters, it is much faster. Second, the habit of relying on others to answer simple queries that are easily findable on your own is a fairly negative quality.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is worth noting that likely this idea entered medicine back in the old days, like, before this century.

You could read some work by Charles Dickens and it would say something like, "He was of a strong constitution." Made up of strong stuff.

A lot of the verbiage in the notes has this sort of old-fashioned feel, I call it the voice of the "gentleman scientist."

When I think of constitution and the "humors' in this way, it's a bit easier for me to remember what the constitutional symptoms are and to ask about them.

It's when you ask patients if they've ever had their freedom of speech infringed upon, been subjected to cruel or unusual punishment, or been made to quarter soldiers.

Reactions: 10 users
Nobody knows... That's why we check all systems reviewed and are otherwise negative and move on to the next click box. Yay charting!

Reactions: 2 users