what does DO stand for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

????????????????????????????????

Members don't see this ad.

are you joking? if you don't know what DO stnads for you shouldn't be applying.

DO=doctor of osteopathy

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are links to descriptions of Osteopathic Medicine

Check the sticky thread for informative answers! :)

Don't be a DO unless you want to be a family practioner in the middle of Kansas.

daveswafford said:
Don't be a DO unless you want to be a family practioner in the middle of Kansas.

And don't say stuff like this unless you want to get punched in the face.

i think he was being sarcastic and joking. maybe.

daveswafford said:

Thats where I'll be. Popping pelvis' and cracking crotches. I'll give old fashoned carbonated elixers and blood lettings to excise the demons of sickness from my patients.

Catch me fishing and planting corn on the weekends...Hell, I may even go over to dairy queen on a Sunday or two!

(nicedream) said:
And don't say stuff like this unless you want to get punched in the face.

Someone should manipulate the somatic dysfunction causing your mean streak.

It was a sarcastic comment. My goals are to become a DO and then become a family practitioner in or around my hometown -- which is right in the middle of Kansas.

Chill, people.

1) Never threaten people with physical violence for the statements they make. There's really no chance to fulfill that threat, and it really is a disproportionate response to internet posts.

2) If you are going to employ sarcasm, make sure that it's readily apparent, as it may backfire when it doesn't work.

3) I think the OP is really asking this question. Look at his/her past posts - a *lot* of questions are asked and they range all over the place.

Members don't see this ad :)
littledoc2be said:
are you joking? if you don't know what DO stnads for you shouldn't be applying.

DO=doctor of osteopathy
They changed it to be Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine which I think describes the degree better.

Do you know that MDs killed George Washington. Yup, blood-letted him because of a fever. He died. If DOs were around, maybe good ol George would have served another term. Hmmmm........interesting.

tkim6599 said:
Chill, people.

1) Never threaten people with physical violence for the statements they make. There's really no chance to fulfill that threat, and it really is a disproportionate response to internet posts.

2) If you are going to employ sarcasm, make sure that it's readily apparent, as it may backfire when it doesn't work.

3) I think the OP is really asking this question. Look at his/her past posts - a *lot* of questions are asked and they range all over the place.

I will beat the piss out of all of you....that's right, I'm comin through the wires with my black belt in tae kwon do. I am being sarcastic.........no really, I am, being sarcastic that is, for real.

HoodyHoo said:
I will beat the piss out of all of you....that's right, I'm comin through the wires with my black belt in tae kwon do. I am being sarcastic.........no really, I am, being sarcastic that is, for real.
:scared:

:thumbup: :smuggrin:

normalforce said:
Do you know that MDs killed George Washington. Yup, blood-letted him because of a fever. He died. If DOs were around, maybe good ol George would have served another term. Hmmmm........interesting.

I bet he would probably still be alive today if he had just gotten a little OMT.

Did you know that MDs killed Kenedy? Im serious.

Did you hear that an MD can spell Kennedy? I'm serious. :)

(Note: This is a sarcastic comment)

HoodyHoo said:

Except for those of us who hold multiple black belts and instructor ratings in various martial arts and have been training since we were 6 years old, right? :D ;)

Hey, I think it would be way cool to be that small town country doctor with the little black bag who gets the calls at 0-dark-30 to roll out and assist.

I'll never forget the picture I saw as a kid of a Special Forces medical sergeant swabbing a kids mouth in Vietnam while the rest of the village lined up for medical care. I thought to myself," That would be way cool"......

ad_sharp said:
Did you hear that an MD can spell Kennedy? I'm serious. :)

(Note: This is a sarcastic comment)

That is too funny...... :D

HoodyHoo said:

Heh - the first rule of gunfights - bring a gun.

Adapt said:
They changed it to be Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine which I think describes the degree better.

I like it. DOM. Has a dominatrix/S&M kinda feel. Screw laughter, whips and chains are the best medicine.

normalforce said:

awww come on, that's taking it a lil toooooo far lol

NDESTRUKT said:
awww come on, that's taking it a lil toooooo far lol

The modern medical practices at the time was what made Dr Still, MD, look for an alternative practice route and that is why he started the DO profession. He didn't think the practices were correct, so he might have been able to save Washington if he had lived during his time. :) :D

Amy B said:
The modern medical practices at the time was what made Dr Still, MD, look for an alternative practice route and that is why he started the DO profession. He didn't think the practices were correct, so he might have been able to save Washington if he had lived during his time. :) :D

sigh. now i know how nathaniel hawthorne felt like when they accused his grandfather of not performing his duties as a judge right (his grandfather was one of the members on the court judging the salem witch trials).

NDESTRUKT said:
sigh. now i know how nathaniel hawthorne felt like when they accused his grandfather of not performing his duties as a judge right (his grandfather was one of the members on the court judging the salem witch trials).

So you think bloodletting, arsenic and calomel (mercury) were appropriate treatments? How about treating opium and alcohol addiction with cocaine? Still realized that they weren't doing things right back then and changed his philosophy of medicine to match his discontent.

This arguement is a waste of time. Comparing Medicine as it exists today with what it was in the 1800's is like comparing modern chemistry with the alchemist who wanted to turn everything into gold. Did MDs mess up--you bet. But, the fact is that DOs were not around to mess up themselves. As stated above, the history of the DO is dependent upon the practice of MDs. The DO school is as closely related to old school medicine as is the allopathic counterpart. I just find it interesting that the DOs are so intent on being considered as equals to their MD counterparts while at the same time claiming they are better. My point: DOs are equals, no worse and no better than MDs. Everybody needs to stop trashing on each other and get over the initials.

ad_sharp said:
My point: DOs are equals, no worse and no better than MDs. Everybody needs to stop trashing on each other and get over the initials.

Best line I have read on here in a while.....good point.

WannabeDO said:
So you think bloodletting, arsenic and calomel (mercury) were appropriate treatments? How about treating opium and alcohol addiction with cocaine? Still realized that they weren't doing things right back then and changed his philosophy of medicine to match his discontent.

OMG ok now I'm irked. I have been pro-DO from the f-ing beginning. If you have read ANY of my posts, you would know that. Where did I EVER diss DO's? My gosh what the hell is wrong with you? You have your DO superior mentality coming out your ass just like those other MD elitists do. You're not any better than them.

For you f-ing information, my uncle is a DO and I have no problem with them. I was just saying from the posts how ludicrous it is to make MD's today analogous with the MD's of yesterday. My posts were all lighthearted. Ask any of the members on here about my view of DO's. Search my previous posts. Do ANYTHING but assume, you ass.

It's people like you that give the DO profession a bad name. Hands down.

Damn NDESTRUKT, you sound pissed. Somebody strike a nerve? Remember that this is an internet post site, and its nothing to get worked up about. Its just the internet!!! I agree with you in what you are saying, but maybe lighten up a bit. Take a breath, and calm down... everything will be alright.

RR

Dude, calm down. I never attacked you I never made any comparison of today's MDs to the MDs of the nineteenth century. I was just backing up Amy's earlier statement about why AT Still founded osteopathy. I never personally attacked you nor did I ever put down modern MDs. Get a grip.

NDESTRUKT said:
OMG ok now I'm irked. I have been pro-DO from the f-ing beginning. If you have read ANY of my posts, you would know that. Where did I EVER diss DO's? My gosh what the hell is wrong with you? You have your DO superior mentality coming out your ass just like those other MD elitists do. You're not any better than them.

For you f-ing information, my uncle is a DO and I have no problem with them. I was just saying from the posts how ludicrous it is to make MD's today analogous with the MD's of yesterday. My posts were all lighthearted. Ask any of the members on here about my view of DO's. Search my previous posts. Do ANYTHING but assume, you ass.

ad_sharp said:
The DO school is as closely related to old school medicine as is the allopathic counterpart.

I agree with you about the rest of this argument having delved into the ridiculous. I just have to correct you on the above statement.

In fact, osteopathy in the 1870s was a very radical break from "old school medicine", and was truly not at all related to the allopathic school of thought at that time. AT Still and his early students caught a lot of flack. He was run out of a number of towns, called a quack, you name it...until...his patients started getting better. People who were not improving under the care of an allopath came to him and were treated for any number of ailments--without drugs, bloodletting, arsenic, etc.

At the time, this was nothing short of miraculous for many people who left his clinic cured or improved of their ailments. Of course there were those who still looked down upon his techniques because they were so different from the status quo at the time, but many recognized his successes and praised his work (among them, a number of MDs who were subsequently trained in osteopathy).

I'm not saying that this is the case today. The two schools of thought have effectively, if not practically, already merged. OMT is the only thing that DOs can truly say makes them unique, and many of us don't even practice it.

Just make sure you know your history before you go making sweeping statements as though they were fact. That's a good rule to have as a physician, too--know your history! (patient history, that is).

NDESTRUKT said:

Calm down and please refrain from cursing. :scared:

We are really just light heartedly chatting here. I really don't think any of us here have been attacking the MDs. I mean, we said if a DO treated Washington he would still be alive.........obviously he wouldn't be alive, we are just having fun and feeling proud of the DO heritage.

Don't take things so seriously, we are all just having fun.

DO=MD=Doctor=cool bunch of people :thumbup: