What does doctor mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robotman

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does the word mean?

Members don't see this ad.

The original Latin term meant "to teach/teacher" and eventually came to mean "a learned person."

According to google, used as a noun it can mean a qualified practitioner of medicine/physician; a person who holds a doctorate; an artificial fishing fly.

Who knew?

Nothing. Everyone and their mom is a "doctor" now

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's said that in the middle ages, in the first universities you could study theology, law or medicine, and people who graduated from those places were called "doctorated", hence the modern custom of calling physicians doctors and also in some parts of the western world it's common to call attorneys and lawyers doctors as well, by addressing them with "Dr." before their names. And of course nowadays the most correct and formal usage is calling someone who holds a Ph. D a doctor.

You mean noctor right ?

It's said that in the middle ages, in the first universities you could study theology, law or medicine, and people who graduated from those places were called "doctorated", hence the modern custom of calling physicians doctors and also in some parts of the western world it's common to call attorneys and lawyers doctors as well, by addressing them with "Dr." before their names. And of course nowadays the most correct and formal usage is calling someone who holds a Ph. D a doctor.
PhD is most correct usage? There's more than one way to call yourself "Dr."

My favorite is N.D. I'm not going to poison my patients with medications and vaccines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doctoral_degrees_awarded_by_country#United_States

doctor
proctor

troll thread
roll bread

Reactions: 1 user
A physician's assistant in New York State who went to a 2 Year program, wear's a white coat and practices independently. (sarcasm implied)

A $300,000 piece of paper that is worthless without 3+ years of additional training.

Nothing. Everyone and their mom is a "doctor" now

This is a fact.

One time I fell asleep on my keyboard and when I woke up I accidentally had my phd from the University of Phoenix

Reactions: 1 user