What does it mean to "sign out" a case?

Started by juddson
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

juddson

3K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read this phrase often on these boards. What does it mean? Do you really sign out slides for review?

Judd
 
juddson said:
I read this phrase often on these boards. What does it mean? Do you really sign out slides for review?

Judd
Signing out a case involves going over a case, as a resident, as an attending. In a more broader sense, signing out means issuing a diagnosis report for the case.
 
juddson said:
Do you really sign out slides for review?
It probably comes from the practice of having a pathologist's signature at the bottom of every "official" path report issued, attesting that they have reviewed the slides, read the report and deemed it true to the best of their knowledge.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I dont have electronic signature, so for me it literally means I sign the typed report....yes, Im low tech.
 
LADoc00 said:
I dont have electronic signature, so for me it literally means I sign the typed report....yes, Im low tech.

Buy a stamper man!
:meanie: :laugh: