What does it mean ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R.S

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ,

I have just finished my USMLE exams , and would like to apply for the 2016 match , but I have some inquiries about the meaning og preliminary year , and transitional year program .
are they residency program ?
and do we take salaries during them ? or we have to pay in order to participate in them ?
As an IMG , can I apply for these programs ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello ,

I have just finished my USMLE exams , and would like to apply for the 2016 match , but I have some inquiries about the meaning og preliminary year , and transitional year program .
are they residency program ?

Yes, they are residency training but only for 1 year; they are usually used as an introductory year into other specialties. Thus, they do not offer the full training.

Some programs require either a Preliminary year in Medicine or Surgery before moving onto advanced standing in a specialty. Others will accept a Transitional Year which has rotations in many specialties (i.e., not just medicine or surgery). The latter are often very competitive because they are widely considered to be easier on the hours and lifestyle.

and do we take salaries during them ? or we have to pay in order to participate in them ?

Yes. Residents, even in Preliminary or Transitional years are paid a salary in the US.

As an IMG , can I apply for these programs ?

Yes. You must be ECFMG certified to start training in the US; some programs require it to process an application: http://www.ecfmg.org

But bear in mind that these are NOT the final pathways to training and may not be what you need/are looking for.

Thanks for these explaination , but are these programs competetive and hard to get ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean , is it hard to get a position in a preliminary internal medicine program ? or easier than the three year internal medicine program?

I mean , is it hard to get a position in a preliminary internal medicine program ? or easier than the three year internal medicine program?

Surgery prelim spots are easiest to get of all the post graduate medical training in the states. Medicine prelim spots are usually meant for people who will go into other fields but need a year of general medical training.

To be an internist you must complete a 3-year internal medicine or family medicine categorical residency.