What does it really mean to be a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It would be like me going to Allo forum and beating off to OMM every other thread. If I did that, it would make me a loser. Therefore you need to become less of a loser and stop posting MD stats to people who clearly don't care about that, or you.

Members don't see this ad.

Why you mad tho?

I love the last line of this post, I think it says it all. :D Have a good night!

You like this line?? Get a ****ing life kid. Go talk to a girl (in person) or something...

How does that "say it all?"

Members don't see this ad :)
You like this line?? Get a ****ing life kid. Go talk to a girl (in person) or something...

Maybe (s)he was just saying that (s)he was going to take your advice and go talk to a guy/girl.

I also can't believe that someone, who is already in med school, is STILL worrying/talking about MCAT scores and undergrad GPA. Quit living in the past kid. Your in school now, no need to worry about the .2 gpa difference between MD and DO admission data anymore. Ive personally never met a doc that ever talks about pre-admission data. In fact, most of them don't even remember their MCAT score or GPA.

There's really no reason to blow up like this.

Why not? This kid is a loser. He always trolls pre-DO forum and literally ALWAYS starts a battle about MD and DO and how their pre-admission data. I've been on this forum for a long time and it helped me out a great deal. This kid brings absolutely nothing to the table

I will say that DOs do perform lower on average than MDs on the USMLE. Check my post-history for a link to a long debate in the past.

As I've said a million times. I don't believe DOs are inferior to MDs. DO is simply a back-up for a vast majority of people. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, although I do realize this hurts egos. But if your going into medicine for ego you're doing it wrong.

Instatewaiter has spoken numerous times about the differences between MD and DO residencies, I won't go into this. It involves the hospitals that each respective "field" is hooked up with. IE. MGH vs. Swedish in Chicago. Or UMich vs. Botsford in Michigan. Academic Hospitals vs. Community Hospitals.

Anyway, I'm very sorry I hurt some of your feelings. It is sincerely not my intention. But obviously, anyone who something that isn't lovey-dovey towards DOs has a godcomplex/trolling/no life/ego problem... amirite?

First of all, to make a statement as you did in the first paragraph means that there would be a much large population of DO's taking the MCAT. You might get lost in percentages and average scores but you have to think about the number of each population that takes it. I have had this argument before and while it may have some validity, I think it's only fair, due to the fact that DO's are trained for the COMLEX. Please don't argue that the tests are the same, that is a tired argument.

Again, the second to last paragraph is OPINION, give me a scientific paper that proves the residencies are better at one place over another. You can't, therefore your point is moot, so stop saying this as fact. As a medical student I would think you would have a little more intellegence then to come on a board that is mostly premeds and state opinions as facts to make a few premeds angry. Grow up dude. Take your MD ego back to the allo forums. There is no use for you here.

By the way, last paragraph really gets me to think you are a bad troll. Maybe if you spent as much time studying as you do trolling, you might be a halfway decent doc someday. Better get started.

Personal attacks now....

U mad. :)

So on a scale of 1 to Mad, I think you're at really mad.

I also can't believe that someone, who is already in med school, is STILL worrying/talking about MCAT scores and undergrad GPA. Quit living in the past kid. Your in school now, no need to worry about the .2 gpa difference between MD and DO admission data anymore. Ive personally never met a doc that ever talks about pre-admission data. In fact, most of them don't even remember their MCAT score or GPA.

True enough, but those stats are correlated with medical success and USMLE results. Strictly from a statistical and academic perspective, there is some value in examining these numbers.

True enough, but those stats are correlated with medical success and USMLE results. Strictly from a statistical and academic perspective, there is some value in examining these numbers.

My point is that this kid comes in here day after day with the same BS. His posts help nobody. He keeps mentioning the same thing over and over again and repeats the same drawn out arguments.

Do you know how many people don't pass and get their license once admitted (MD and DO)?

A very, very small percentage. Ye,s the statistics are significant for determining if someone can hack it in school, but quoting the matriculating averages means nothing because the vast majority of those admitted become docs. So I would have to agree with Mike on this one. The way in which they are being used is incorrect.

Personal attacks now....

U mad. :)

So on a scale of 1 to Mad, I think you're at really mad.

Anyone who actually states "Personal Attack" is no person I ever want to be around.

Am I mad? Nope. I'm a 6'4" man that doesn't have napoleon complex, one-upper syndrome, or an ego. I don't care or need someone to stroke my MD dick like you do.

Anyone who actually states "Personal Attack" is no person I ever want to be around.

Am I mad? Nope. I'm a 6'4" man that doesn't have napoleon complex, one-upper syndrome, or an ego. I don't care or need someone to stroke my MD dick like you do.

Big talk over the internet. I'm Sofia Vergara, that's just as verifiable. Mad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how many people don't pass and get their license once admitted (MD and DO)?

A very, very small percentage. Ye,s the statistics are significant for determining if someone can hack it in school, but quoting the matriculating averages means nothing because the vast majority of those admitted become docs. So I would have to agree with Mike on this one. The way in which they are being used is incorrect.

This is simply not true James. Your undergraduate stats and Mcat are correlated with USMLE/COMLEX preformance and thus your residency placement. Effectively a guy with a 3.6/27 will have a higher chance of passing their first than a 3.5/25 and if someone doesn't pass their first time they get screwed for residency placements. So your undergraduate numbers are prudent and are worth examining and analyzing if only for this reason.

Big talk over the internet. I'm Sofia Vergara, that's just as verifiable. Mad?

Come on mike, be the bigger man. Go study like I am sure you have to, and let this troll have fun getting his ass banned. Proof right there just because you were accepted to an MD school doesn't mean you're worth anything.

Have a nice life AndIWasLike, I hope you're never my doc.

This is simply not true James. Your undergraduate stats and Mcat are correlated with USMLE/COMLEX preformance and thus your residency placement. Effectively a guy with a 3.6/27 will have a higher chance of passing their first than a 3.5/25 and if someone doesn't pass their first time they get screwed for residency placements. So your undergraduate numbers are prudent and are worth examining and analyzing if only for this reason.

Don't get me wrong serenade, they are important, but if you have ever seen the reports of what the higher powers look for when they find residents, Step one scores are almost never top 3 on their list. Also, if that person with 3.6/27 wasn't liked very much and the 3.5/25 was well liked, I can guarentee you the one with lower stats (and an inferred lower step one score) would snag the position. So while they do play a role, it's not an end all role as it's being made out to be.

By the way, this is the way to make an argument for your trolls. You argue facts against your opponent to disprove their statements. FACTS that can be backed up like i know serenades' can.

Have a nice life AndIWasLike, I hope you're never my doc.

Burrett's law. If this was pre-allo and even if you were on the moral high road you'd be majorly burned and meme attacked for saying this.

And yah... this thread is lacking a lot of memes for the amount of mad in it.

Burrett's law. If this was pre-allo and even if you were on the moral high road you'd be majorly burned and meme attacked for saying this.

And yah... this thread is lacking a lot of memes for the amount of mad in it.

Lol, I don't care. This is the internet. The reason people burn you and meme you is because they have no retort. This is what the anonymity of the internet will do to people. I'm not new to the internet or it's culture.

Don't get me wrong serenade, they are important, but if you have ever seen the reports of what the higher powers look for when they find residents, Step one scores are almost never top 3 on their list. Also, if that person with 3.6/27 wasn't liked very much and the 3.5/25 was well liked, I can guarentee you the one with lower stats (and an inferred lower step one score) would snag the position. So while they do play a role, it's not an end all role as it's being made out to be.

By the way, this is the way to make an argument for your trolls. You argue facts against your opponent to disprove their statements. FACTS that can be backed up like i know serenades' can.

A lot of residents on here basically say:
Step 1,
Grades in rotations,
Connections,
are the biggest deciding factors for how residency programs choose their residents. Which makes sense when you look at residencies and how competitive ones tend to have higher step 1 scores. But meh...
And of course, I agree, I disregarding other factors would be wrong. However for the sake of things, a guy who's never failed a step and has a pretty good step 1 is going to have an easier time than a guy who failed or has a lower step score.

But yes, we should all try to be more respectful.

Lol, I don't care. This is the internet. The reason people burn you and meme you is because they have no retort. This is what the anonymity of the internet will do to people. I'm not new to the internet or it's culture.

This! haha

Things I'll never hear, as a DO, from an MD colleague: "You know, on average we have .2 higher GPA in undergrad than you do"

I know, but it's just funny. It's one of the things I like about pre-allo, it's memes cheer me up after a mediocre day of mediocrity :laugh:.

This! haha

Things I'll never hear, as a DO, from an MD colleague: "You know, on average we have .2 higher GPA in undergrad than you do"

You'll just be told by Columbia that you're not allowed to rotate at their hospitals. :smuggrin:

Excuse me, I'm going to bed. I pray this thread descends into happier times.

A lot of residents on here basically say:
Step 1,
Grades in rotations,
Connections,
are the biggest deciding factors for how residency programs choose their residents. Which makes sense when you look at residencies and how competitive ones tend to have higher step 1 scores. But meh...
And of course, I agree, I disregarding other factors would be wrong. However for the sake of things, a guy who's never failed a step and has a pretty good step 1 is going to have an easier time than a guy who failed or has a lower step score.

But yes, we should all try to be more respectful.

and just a newsflash for everyone: Not every med student wants the coveted/subjective/all mighty "competitive" residency. Only people on SDN want that.

You'll just be told by Columbia that you're not allowed to rotate at their hospitals. :smuggrin:

Correction: I won't be told anything by Columbia bc I never will go there and will never apply for a residency there. Plus, who the hell wants to spend 4+ yrs in the Bronx?

and just a newsflash for everyone: Not every med student wants the coveted/subjective/all mighty "competitive" residency. Only people on SDN want that.

Well, even then residency programs are a hierarchy. Remember, even some IM programs are more competitive than some neurosurgery programs. Simply for the experience and expertise, just my two cents.

Correction: I won't be told anything by Columbia bc I never will go there and will never apply for a residency there. Plus, who the hell wants to spend 4+ yrs in the Bronx?

I always assumed Columbia's hospitals were in Manhattan. Either way, arbitrary program is arbitrary.

I always assumed Columbia's hospitals were in Manhattan. Either way, arbitrary program is arbitrary.

Nope. And seeing as I just left a career working directly for the Dean at Columbia's closest competitor in Manhattan, I would never go there anyways :)

Excuse me, I'm going to bed. I pray this thread descends into happier times.

You know what the bottom ranked person in a class is called?

Doctor.

Not everyone wants to get into the roads specialties. Those who do are seeking money, respect, power, etc.

If you got into medicine for the right reasons, you will be happy in your specialty, whether it be here or in a lesser ranked hospital. You will perform the same procedures, etc. So you might not get the ONE ZEBRA CASE THAT MAKES HISTORY, but who cares? You might get a little better funding for research, but it's not like you can't get funding elsewhere.

I just want to be a doc, have my patients, maintain a good relationship with family and friends, and help the American health care system. Rotating at Columbia is not at the top of my list.

Doctor.
True, however you'll experience a lot more in a top ranked residency. You also might not get into the specialty which you love and end up in a residency which you horribly hate as bottom rank.
Furthermore, in certain specialties like Gas doing a lower rated residency or a DO residency will impede on your chances for employment ( DO anesthesiologists have expressed this as truth).

Not everyone wants to get into the roads specialties. Those who do are seeking money, respect, power, etc.
Really now? This is a horrible generalization. They likely are most happy in that specialty, and hell maybe you'll end up in ROADS because you love one of those specialties.

If you got into medicine for the right reasons, you will be happy in your specialty, whether it be here or in a lesser ranked hospital. You will perform the same procedures, etc. So you might not get the ONE ZEBRA CASE THAT MAKES HISTORY, but who cares? You might get a little better funding for research, but it's not like you can't get funding elsewhere.

Not doubt, however you'll doubtingly be better trained and experience a lot more and there are benefits including easier transition into a fellowship. What if you find your in love with a particular part of your specialty like sports med or immunology?

I just want to be a doc, have my patients, maintain a good relationship with family and friends, and help the American health care system. Rotating at Columbia is not at the top of my list.

Meh, I think the experience would be good. It's always good to dream big and aspire for the best opportunities for yourself.

Anyways why is that if you go into ROADs your suddenly a money hungry guy, and if you go into FP you're a pariah? That's a horrible generalization man.

Meh, I think the experience would be good. It's always good to dream big and aspire for the best opportunities for yourself.

I agree. It is important to dream big. I will def shoot for the top of whatever I want, but if i get into a great program that's not Hopkins or Columbia, I will be perfectly happy. Afterall, I have better things to worry about...like passing anatomy first!

Anyways why is that if you go into ROADs your suddenly a money hungry guy, and if you go into FP you're a pariah? That's a horrible generalization man.

Always shoot for the highest you can get, but at the same time, don't get an ulcer doing so. You're absolutely right, I shouldn't have made that generalization, it was a bad call.

I don't get your statement that you won't be able to do as much in a lower ranked residency. Do people have different diseases in lower ranked specialty areas?

I'm just going to add, I know that there will always be someone better out there than I. I wasn't born with the superpower of the John Hopkins student profile, and for that, I took a different route in medicine. Perhaps it's that choice that is influencing my debate.

Always shoot for the highest you can get, but at the same time, don't get an ulcer doing so. You're absolutely right, I shouldn't have made that generalization, it was a bad call.

I don't get your statement that you won't be able to do as much in a lower ranked residency. Do people have different diseases in lower ranked specialty areas?

I'm just going to add, I know that there will always be someone better out there than I. I wasn't born with the superpower of the John Hopkins student profile, and for that, I took a different route in medicine. Perhaps it's that choice that is influencing my debate.

Well, not to agitated the water again. But you do have to admit a top ranked program with a Trauma 1 or a specialty center for the discipline you're going into, is going to get a much more interesting assortment of characters with possibly more advanced conditions than a community hospital. But overall you're correct, don't get an ulcer over trying to be number 1.

Damn, Burnett's Law AND internet stats (6'4 man lol)! I missed a good fight...

Very successful troll is very successful.

but mommmmmmm, i want to ride the horsieeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps. no point arguing over this, if people want to be biased they will. if you want validation, take the usmle and stomp all over the average md/do student taking it

It may be a good idea to close this thread, since it's getting nowhere and the topic has been discussed a billion times elsewhere.

Doctor.

What is the O in road?

Radiology
Opthamology or Oncology or something else???
Anesthesiology
Dermatology

I've heard this was the road to success somewhere...