What Does It Take To Become A Celebrity Psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMS29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be Dr. Drew nor Dr. Phil...I just want to move to Los Angeles after graduation and be a Personal Psychologist to a Celebrity. I know this is a bit unusual, but this is where my heart is at. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
let's make this a sticky

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Your heart needs a new place to go. Seriously. The work needs to be about the work, and not about being famous for treating famous people. Most "famous" clinicians are hacks, jerks, or a combination of the two.

Most psychologists have some level of aspirations, but it gets much dicier when you are in a treatment setting. There are a ton of ethical land mines around promoting yourself, using patient testimony, etc.

FWIW...celebrity types can be a nightmare to treat. I've treated/assessed various "famous" ppl/athletes, and it is more hassle than anything else. They are often out of touch with what is "normal", are resistant to feedback, and are non-compliant w treatment recommendations. Not all, but far more than the Average Joe/Jane.

**I also love my auto-correct bc my iPhone kept changing "treat" to "test"...which is actually far more accurate to my day to day work. Touché auto-correct! **

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to be Dr. Drew nor Dr. Phil...I just want to move to Los Angeles after graduation and be a Personal Psychologist to a Celebrity. I know this a bit unusual, but this is where my heart is at. Any suggestions?

It's a free country. Go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: Take an online degree course to get a Ph.D
Step 2: Move to Hollywood
Step 3: Hire an agent/promoter who will exploit your professional celebrity counseling services
Step 4: Tell clients what they want to hear

Follow these steps, and people will be recommending you to movie moguls in no time!

Reactions: 5 users
This is an interesting question. Well, let me start by saying you would need to compromise everything you learned in ethics class and your subsequent ethical principles to be a true celebrity psychologist (like Dr. Phil - who is no longer a licensed psychologist...and Dr. Drew is an internist so I'm not sure why he chooses to practice any bit of psychotherapy on his shows).

That said, you have to focus on your training, then a population (like adolescents) or cluster of disorders (like depression or anxiety), and after this so-called specialization, I would gather that you'd have to do some pretty profound research in order to put your name and reputation on the map (which is the only way to get referrals).

I certainly don't think there is a training model for celebrity patients...seems like you have to be particularly sensitive to discretion and perhaps what it may feel like to be isolated and no longer in the mainstream (due to celebrity status)‎. One of my former supervisors (here in NYC) treats people in the arts (some actors, some writers) but his private practice was established and those artists were referred to him by word of mouth...plus he's a doctoral program professor, excellent clinican/supervisor, and well-published researcher (in the past---he's more clinical now) so it was not an easy road to achieve all that he has.

Plus imagine...if you are Bill Gates and your family member was traumatized, wouldn't you want to hire Edna Foa (does she even see patients anymore!?) or Nancy McWilliams to consult on you‎r family member's issues? Thinking about this more, there are many reality TV show "stars" that could use anyone's help. Those folks may be more accessible as patients by anyone...sounds like Pro Bono work there.

You will need to reframe your goals...with keeping this idea in mind...but focus on the profession first, then the desired population ‎you want to serve IMO.‎

P.S. DO NOT ENROLL IN AN ONLINE PROGRAM‎ (our SDN friend was being facetious).

Last edited:
Step 1: Take an online degree course to get a Ph.D
Step 2: Move to Hollywood
Step 3: Hire an agent/promoter who will exploit your professional celebrity counseling services
Step 4: Tell clients what they want to hear

Follow these steps, and people will be recommending you to movie moguls in no time!

You beat me to it. That's pretty much the list I was going to give, especially Step 4.

Gosh..I'm sorry I made this post here. Most of you, with the exception of a few, have such negative answers.

Anway...I'll do my own research, and forge my own path to where I want to be in the end. Thank you to those who were actually genuine with their response. I won't be posting here anymore.

Gosh..I'm sorry I made this post here. Most of you, with the exception of a few, have such negative answers.

Anway...I'll do my own research, and forge my own path to where I want to be in the end. Thank you to those who were actually genuine with their response. I won't be posting here anymore.

If negative feedback bothers you that much, you wont make it through grad school. You'd quit...or perhaps be booted for being "unreceptive/resistant to supervision."

Sorry if you didn't like the answers, but I think JoePianist's post was exactly right... except for going online to get a degree. lol.

1) It probably doesn't matter where you get your degree because of the next 3 steps.
2) Gotta move to Hollywood. That's where your celebs are
3) Gotta get a publicist. California is saturated with psychs. You're likely not going to stand out unless someone gets you into the sweet parties. That's just how it works.
4) Celebs are used to being surrounded by "Yes men". You'll likely have to get used to telling them what they want to hear... even to a point that's against your training. One bad recommendation by the celeb that's paying you megabucks may ruin your dream of working with other celebs... more so than if your interest is working with the public. So, you'll likely have to compromise your training and your ethics to deal with that clientele. Think of Conrad Murray, propofol, and doing one-handed CPR to someone while they're on a bed. Such a disgrace. ...but he got to work with that celebrity!!!

Having said that, I think you're doing the right thing. Screw us. Follow your dream! I wish you all the luck in the world! Don't let anyone discourage you from chasing your dreams! But when you come to a board for information and opinions, don't be surprised if it's not exactly what you want to hear.

Last edited:
This conversation made me think of this

PBF037-Bear_Boy.gif

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how dare you all not support jms. I'm sure he or she is a VERY special snowflake. His/her mom said so!

Op, please watch this inspirational piece:

Reactions: 4 users
Following MCP's video, which is pretty spot on. I know the OP ws deeply offended by the response given to that question. I would look at it as an opportunity to examine why some of us responded in the way we did. I expect some of you were deeply offended by the question, as I was. The question implies that someone want to get clinical training, a huge time investment through many instructors teaching you didactics in the area, even more clinical supervisors training you throughout years in grad school, internship, possibly postdoc. This is a huge time commitment and investment in a person. All so that someone can go and try to get a famous friend. If that's your goal, become a life coach, it's a far easier road to that end point.

I would urge you to read the APA Ethics code, especially the aspirational goals.

Following MCP's video, which is pretty spot on. I know the OP ws deeply offended by the response given to that question. I would look at it as an opportunity to examine why some of us responded in the way we did. I expect some of you were deeply offended by the question, as I was. The question implies that someone want to get clinical training, a huge time investment through many instructors teaching you didactics in the area, even more clinical supervisors training you throughout years in grad school, internship, possibly postdoc. This is a huge time commitment and investment in a person. All so that someone can go and try to get a famous friend. If that's your goal, become a life coach, it's a far easier road to that end point.

I would urge you to read the APA Ethics code, especially the aspirational goals.

I think the very aspiration hits most of us oddly. I would guess that the med forums on here get kids saying "I want to be a Beverly hills plastic surgeon and only give face lifts and foot lifts to rich desperate housewives on my reality tv show." I can't imagine they're any more warmly received.

It's interesting that treating celebrities is where the OP's "heart is." Sounds more like making a lot of money for the minimum possible amount of work is where their heart actually is. I should probably become more cynical, but it amazes me that anyone could be that mercenary and actually act as though this were some deep, meaningful, inner goal.

Oh my, WisNeuro...what a morbid cartoon. And MCParent, your video was hilarious & made a relevant point.

I won't be posting here anymore.

Oh, Shucks, why do you have to be so absolute? You should post here again with no hard feelings IMO.

JMS29, seems like you've been a member of this forum for some time, so you should be familiar with the flurry of responses not always being favorable to the OP. But we always make the point that if criticism cannot be received (whether mocking or otherwise), then you have to soul-search whether grad school/clinical training is for you because (as previously stated) you get plenty of it on the receiving-end throughout training. But it is constructive criticism, not malicious. These comments weren't malicious (maybe exaggerations to make a valid point, but not malicious – or why would they take the time out to reply?), merely addressing a goal which needs some fine-tuning.

Believe me, when Jon Voight publicly announced that his daughter, Angelina Jolie, needed psychiatric help...or when I heard Brittney Spears holed herself up in a bathroom with her young son, I fantasized about being that clinician who could definitely treat those individuals in an empathic, effective way and could help instill hope when all was lost. But did you ever read in the tabloids that they were being treated by CheetahGirl, PhD (soon to be ABD)? Hell no! A girl could dream, right?

My goals have changed, and unless Angelina or Brittney is a U.S. Military Service Veteran (as I am currently on internship at a VAMC), I really have no interest in treating them now. Beginning-goals and end-goals can be quite disparate. This is why I encouraged you to hold your idea in the back of your mind (or you said, your heart) and see where the chips may fall...after you've been through training and get a more realistic dose of what is and is not attainable (with your current/future resources).

Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Befriending Dr. Oz seems to be a good way to go lately. Or Dr. Phil or Dr. Drew.

Step one: Get trained.
Step two: Befriend Oprah.
Step three: Success!

Oprah is so yesterday, I'd be looking to catch on with Ellen these days. She'll be the next one to elevate some young, untethered with ethics, pseudoprofessional to stardom.

Oprah is so yesterday, I'd be looking to catch on with Ellen these days. She'll be the next one to elevate some young, untethered with ethics, pseudoprofessional to stardom.
Ellen? You mean the person that danced with candidate Obama? She's so last presidency. I'd suggest getting down with reality TV. Get on Hoarders or Ru Paul's Drag Race. See if you can intern on SVU/CSI. Profit.

I've been around here for years and let a few usernames go by the wayside. I've rarely posted because of the nonsense seen here. The VAST majority of responses (especially by you old pros around here) just cynical and usually very unhelpful. You all were sarcastic and mean spirited then tried to lump "if you can't take it you can't handle grad school" bs. If you were a supervisor and were caught mocking trainees on a regular basis, you'd be out and be lucky to keep your licenses.

If OP is still around and is as altruistic as I'll give them the benefit of assumption they are, 1.become highly educated on typical presenting problems of your target population. Specializing in personality disorders might be helpful, but I'm not sure so...2. find a mentor who does what you want to do or something close. 3. Move to LA or NY (probably linked to step 2) or where you'll come into contact with your target population. 4. Do good/honest work and get referrals.

I know many psychologists in LA and most in private practice said they've treated celebrities, some more than others based on referrals. Good luck, it's certainly a population that is clearly suffering yet seems like a difficult population to treat. You just might be who many celebrities need to live fuller, healthier lives.

I've been around here for years and let a few usernames go by the wayside. I've rarely posted because of the nonsense seen here. The VAST majority of responses (especially by you old pros around here) just cynical and usually very unhelpful. You all were sarcastic and mean spirited then tried to lump "if you can't take it you can't handle grad school" bs. If you were a supervisor and were caught mocking trainees on a regular basis, you'd be out and be lucky to keep your licenses.

If OP is still around and is as altruistic as I'll give them the benefit of assumption they are, 1.become highly educated on typical presenting problems of your target population. Specializing in personality disorders might be helpful, but I'm not sure so...2. find a mentor who does what you want to do or something close. 3. Move to LA or NY (probably linked to step 2) or where you'll come into contact with your target population. 4. Do good/honest work and get referrals.

I know many psychologists in LA and most in private practice said they've treated celebrities, some more than others based on referrals. Good luck, it's certainly a population that is clearly suffering yet seems like a difficult population to treat. You just might be who many celebrities need to live fuller, healthier lives.

Dude...The person flipped their wig because they were bluntly cautioned that this was not a very good plan, and seemingly not a very appopriate motivation for becoming a licensed healthcare professional. If one of my students posed this and then freaked out when I expressed a bit of cynisim about the plan and the underying motivation, I would respond with the exact same advice. Knowing the local DC, I doubt she would have much issue with my "mocking" of this.

Regarding "lucky to keep your licenses"-patently ridiculous. Licensing boards have more pressing matters to worry about than psychologist who provide trainees with blunt feedback. Providing supervision that validates every ill concieved clinical endeavor is unethical.

Last edited:
What about becoming a "psychological consultant" for The Bachelor/The Bachelorette? That's kind of my dream job (only mostly kidding....)

What about becoming a "psychological consultant" for The Bachelor/The Bachelorette? That's kind of my dream job (only mostly kidding....)

I'd love to do consulting work for Sesame Street one day. Do Muppets count as celebrities?

I think that requires screening out.... normality...

That can be very iffy work (in regard to ethics). I know someone who was a consultant for a network, and what is best for the show is rarely best for the individual. However, in that position you need to recognize who is the client (network), your purpose (evaluation based on certain criteria), and then decide if what you are being asked to do falls within the ethical standards and parameters of your licensure. If not, you (not the network) is on the hook.

If you were a supervisor and were caught mocking trainees on a regular basis, you'd be out and be lucky to keep your licenses.
What ethical principle or legal statute is the supervisor violating that would warrant sanctioning and/or loss of their license? If providing pointed feedback violated licensure, very few supervisors would still be in practice. It isn't all puppy dogs and rainbows, and often times trainees are hypersensitive to everything (particularly in the beginning), so the "mocking"/harsh feedback is actually just feedback.

Last edited:

I also noticed during the extremely fast and small Survivor credits that there are 2 psychologists listed. Now, to counsel & help contestants or to counsel & help the show create psychologically disturbing situations?

I'd love to do consulting work for Sesame Street one day. Do Muppets count as celebrities?
Miss Piggy's obsessive isses... Cookie Monster's eating disorder. Oscar the Grouch's schizoid personality disorder? They all need help, man. Get on that.

Edit: Oh wait, the cookie monster's has substance abuse issues. I think that was the allegory right? We need to find Mrs. Fields and find what she's cutting her chocolate chips with.

Last edited:
I also noticed during the extremely fast and small Survivor credits that there are 2 psychologists listed. Now, to counsel & help contestants or to counsel & help the show create psychologically disturbing situations?

I know that finalists for Survivor must undergo a psychological assessment before being considered for the show. Not sure what makes people get excluded, since there are a lot of questionable characters on the show. Also when each person gets voted out, there is a psychologist in the "jury house" or wherever they go until the season is over.

I completely understand the backlash - interesting post nonetheless. To some degree, most careers involve navigating human hierarchies to attain positions of greater status, prestige, and responsibility. I have a few friends in the entertainment industry, and my impression is that success relies much, much more on popularity, and much less on talent. Realistically, people will be entertained by whatever is put in front of them, so the people who get to be involved are the ones with the machiavellian diplomatic skills to be "liked". Frankly, I think it would come down to getting licensed, moving to LA or New York, and making the right friends. I'm sure it won't take long to assess how easy that is once you get there.

I've spoken to someone who has been used as a screener for reality shows. It's not a full-time career, she's called in during casting to give assessments to finalists. The 1 I spoke to used MMPI, MCMI, and Rorschach and said most of the time the producers want someone disturbed enough to be interesting but not disturbed enough to act out violently. She made a lot of money but really dodged questions about how fulfilling it was.

The 1 I spoke to used MMPI, MCMI, and Rorschach and said most of the time the producers want someone disturbed enough to be interesting but not disturbed enough to act out violently..

None of those tests are validated for that clinical question/purpose? Did you happen to point that out?

It's not a clinical population. She was consulting, not treating.

It's not a clinical population. She was consulting, not treating.

So, you're saying the positive predictive power of these tests for this behavior is changed based on this context? Based on what studies?

I dont even understand the second part of your response. Consulting as a psychologist, no? He/she is still bound to the ethics code, no. Code 9 in particulary, right?

So, you're saying the positive predictive power of these tests for this behavior is changed based on this context? Based on what studies?

I dont even understand the second part of your response. Consulting as a psychologist, no? He/she is still bound to the ethics code, no. Code 9 in particulary, right?

it's possible she was not an LP...hence Dr. Phil

She was/is a doctor, I assume. I ran across her in a hospitality suite and became quite interested in her work. You bring up good points, but I don't see how this violates our ethical code, you might. The tests assess personalities and that's what the producers wanted to know. "Are these personalities interesting. Is there information that suggests violence or impulsive behavior that might be more than we'd like to deal with?"

She was/is a doctor, I assume. I ran across her in a hospitality suite and became quite interested in her work. You bring up good points, but I don't see how this violates our ethical code, you might. The tests assess personalities and that's what the producers wanted to know. "Are these personalities interesting. Is there information that suggests violence or impulsive behavior that might be more than we'd like to deal with?"

No. You stated producers wouldnt to rule out potential for violence, did you not? Essentially a risk evaluation in a non-clinical sample. I can think of 5 specific empirically validated tools to assist with this. None are any of the instruments you mention. Do you think this is in the spirit of code 9.02?

Buddy, I'm drawing from a conversation I had with a professional in a hospitality suite to give as much relevant information about the topic that I can. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she new exactly what the producers referral questions were and how to best address them and gave me what I needed to know for that context. Now can you add to this conversation or will you just continue to use it to try to show an anonymous group of how superior you are?

Buddy, I'm drawing from a conversation I had with a professional in a hospitality suite to give as much relevant information about the topic that I can. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she new exactly what the producers referral questions were and how to best address them and gave me what I needed to know for that context. Now can you add to this conversation or will you just continue to use it to try to show an anonymous group of how superior you are?

Please refer to my post to you in another thread about continued unecessary perosonalizing of topics. Stop. This is not productive.

I think questioning someone who regularly responds negatively and cynically to many people is extremely productive. So, in turn, I request that you stop responding in ways that are meant to detract from genuine conversations particularly in ways that are meant to invalidate people's goals or values.

I'm with erg here, seems ethically problematic in relation to some of the 9 codes. And he's right, those instruments are terrible at addressing potential for violence. There are some other validated instruments, which still don't predict very well, but are miles better than those.

Predicting violence, instability, etc…all very murky to begin with, let alone those assessment measures, which I don't believe are very sensitive or reliable for the referral question needs. Most likely the company wants a CYA in case someone hurts/kills themselves or someone else. As described, that is ethically dubious by the clinician and probably not sufficient if reviewed by a board of psych. Just my 2 cents.

I'm assuming that the producers were/are more interested in colorful personalities, what kind of people would draw ratings and that would be the emphasis of the referral question and that ruling out potential violence would be CYA. Our conversation was more about personality assessment.