What does it take to match into a top neurology program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbrain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of scores do top neuro programs expect? Mostly looking at UCSF, Stanford, and northeast programs (Boston/New York). Also UCLA/UCSD.

Other than scores, what kinds of things are particularly important in an application for neurology? The residents at these places seem like they all have lots of research experience. Is it hard to match at one of these places without a PhD/research year/significant research involvement? Do people generally do away rotations at these places? Do people generally do away rotations in neurology?

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with Goro.

For the most specific advice, look at your school's match lists. Did anyone match at a good neurology program? Reach out to them, they'll have the best insight for someone in your shoes.

Places that have ridiculous research resources, like a Karl Deisseroth, Ed Boyden, or Eric Kandel on campus, might prefer people who would make the most of it, but I'm sure it's not a strict requirement.

Look up resident bios at these top places.

Reactions: 1 user
Step scores around 250 are standard and if you don't have a decent amount of research you need something else about your application that stands out. PhD definitely helps at research heavy places like Stanford, Partners, UCSF etc. But more than half of those residents don't have a PhD. I did a few away rotations in neurology and in definitely helped me match at my #1. That being said, a lot of these programs look for a good fit and if you don't have great board scores/stellar research it doesn't mean that your out of the running. Posting in the neurology specific forum will give you more specific answers.

Reactions: 1 user