What does 'titrate' mean in the context of medicine?

Started by Ezekiel20
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ezekiel20

Resident
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,


I remember back in highschool chemistry, to 'titrate' meant to try and find the concentration of an unknown solution by means of a chemical reaction with a solution of a known concentration.

Indeed, Stedmans' medical dictionary defines it as:

"To analyze volumetrically by a solution (the titrant) of known strength to an end point."

However, I've seen the word titrate being used in medical textbooks, and never really understood what it meant.

For example, this is a quote from a book I have, on the topic of analgesia in burns patients:

"Use morphine in IV aliquots and titrate for good analgesia."

I'm guessing that the word 'titrate' is used loosely in medicine, to mean 'adjust' (eg the dose of a drug).

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks in advance
 
When you're mixing acids and bases in chemistry, you titrate one with the other until the concentration of one matches the other in some way as measured by an indicator.

Medicine is no different. Match the dose with the proper response.
 
When you're mixing acids and bases in chemistry, you titrate one with the other until the concentration of one matches the other in some way as measured by an indicator.

Medicine is no different. Match the dose with the proper response.

Thanks, that makes sense 👍.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It also usually implies that you can't just load the patient up right away but that you need to "start low and go slow." You'll hear that phrase alot in medicine.
 
It also usually implies that you can't just load the patient up right away but that you need to "start low and go slow." You'll hear that phrase alot in medicine.

Made me think of my (required) month on Geriatrics.

I think I just threw up a little inside my mouth.