What does your documentation look like in 2022?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beamseyeview

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With new time billing rules, has anyone streamlined documentation? All my med oncs write insanely short notes. Meanwhile mine are still fluffed up with past medical history, side effects, etc… essentially a carryover from residency and never bothered to change my templates (essentially what my attendings wanted way back before new time billing became a thing)

Saw this recently on twitter and got me thinking that maybe I should really shorten stuff up.

1667443379846.jpeg

What do y’all’s notes look like these days?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know who came up with BEAM-IT, but I hate it with the force of a thousand fiery suns. It's not how any of us trained in medical school.

I like having some PMH on there for my future reference, so I've kept it in there. I've ditched the ROS. PE is a template so it's stayed the same.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know who came up with BEAM-IT, but I hate it with the force of a thousand fiery suns. It's not how any of us trained in medical school.

I like having some PMH on there for my future reference, so I've kept it in there. I've ditched the ROS. PE is a template so it's stayed the same.
I have kept mine very similar. Just less superfluous. I don't repeat myself like 5 times in the note. I also dont perform or document a comprehensive ROS or PE. It is much more tailored now.

I do have a question. Is there any point in laying out potential toxicities in the note? I could keep my plan much shorter and cleared if I didnt have to use the template saying i talked about risk of xyz.

Reactions: 1 user
I have kept mine very similar. Just less superfluous. I don't repeat myself like 5 times in the note. I also dont perform or document a comprehensive ROS or PE. It is much more tailored now.

I do have a question. Is there any point in laying out potential toxicities in the note? I could keep my plan much shorter and cleared if I didnt have to use the template saying i talked about risk of xyz.

From a medicolegal standpoint I think documenting discussion of risks and benefits of treatment has value.

Reactions: 3 users
In order:
HPI, which includes all pertinent positives/negatives from ROS in HPI. Also includes all relevant diagnostic data (labs/imaging)
auto populated PMH/PSH/Meds/Allergies/Social/Family history
PE - I still use a baseline template with edits
A/P

I'm sticking with A/P at the bottom the way that we all learned to document in medical school. Either the A/P is at the top or at the bottom of everyone else's notes, and we all know the middle is all fluff.

From a medicolegal standpoint I think documenting discussion of risks and benefits of treatment has value.
I don’t know that it does

Don’t think a single lawsuit decided based on this

Reactions: 1 users
I've wondered about that.... Esp if we have them sign a consent where it is all spelled out
Even the consent. Every thing is listed, and yet people still get sued

My philosophy on notes to is fill them with as many non-stop smart phrases, templates, and official labs/radiology reports as possible. There are usually 3-5 sentences of that are actually put in by me explicitly by me regarding the patient specifically.

When the run of the mill auditor sees the note, they see such a tremendous wall of text that they are usually satisfied without delving further.

"If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bull****."

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Current Note consult

Header with name mrn dob age sex

Disease
Stage
Treatment up to this point

Focused history, exam, impression, plan

This is easy to read English narrative of what is going on, what we are going to do and why

MDM - how many minutes I spent

Signed

Then below - smart phrase for the rest - pmh, famhx, sochx, meds , allergies

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t like BEAM IT also. Don’t know why anyone would do anything other than APSO format. Referrings only care about what your plan is, not a regurgitation of the onc history or your physical exam. Might as well make it easy for them since that’s what we do in all other aspects of practice building. I hate having to scroll down to the bottom of a note for the plan.

Narrative should be really easy to read

58 yo woman w no fam hx of malignancy and no PMH with asymptomatic mammographically detected DCIS in left breast, +/+, grade 2. S/p segmental mastectomy, 1.5cm tumor, negative margins (3mm). Healed well from surgery, scar is well healed. Recommend 42.5/16 Fx. Discussed acute/late toxicity of breast RT. Patient will be simulated next week and start treatment shortly thereafter. Has seen medonc and will also receive endocrine therapy.

For pure aesthetics, I don't like the plan at the top of note. Sue me.
Metallica, you’re going to make me read all of that crap to get to the point - you’re gonna radiate.

The note isn’t for you, it’s for your readers!!

• Haha
Metallica, you’re going to make me read all of that crap to get to the point - you’re gonna radiate.

The note isn’t for you, it’s for your readers!!
When it comes to my medical notes, I radiate brevity and wit. When it comes to cancer, I irradiate. Boom.

Question isn't about getting sued, it's about whether your @$$ is covered when the eventual suit happens

How many rad oncs get sued? As a percentage, likely lower than other fields, no?

I don’t like BEAM IT also. Don’t know why anyone would do anything other than APSO format. Referrings only care about what your plan is, not a regurgitation of the onc history or your physical exam. Might as well make it easy for them since that’s what we do in all other aspects of practice building. I hate having to scroll down to the bottom of a note for the plan.

Click in the text. Hit end on your keyboard. Profit.

Last edited:
Plan has to be at the bottom! We as physicians are trained to skip everything and go straight to the bottom. The rest is just fluff for billing.

Narrative should be really easy to read

58 yo woman w no fam hx of malignancy and no PMH with asymptomatic mammographically detected DCIS in left breast, +/+, grade 2. S/p segmental mastectomy, 1.5cm tumor, negative margins (3mm). Healed well from surgery, scar is well healed. Recommend 42.5/16 Fx. Discussed acute/late toxicity of breast RT. Patient will be simulated next week and start treatment shortly thereafter. Has seen medonc and will also receive endocrine therapy.

No discussion of APBI? No discussion of observation? No discussion of 5Fx breast? No discussion of alternative options that are oncologically equivalent (dependent on which outcome patient may want).

Kinda paternalistic to literally just recommend one option without shared decision making in this space, no?

What are the acute and late toxicities of breast RT? Do you assume that when patient gets hot flashes or joint pains that their PCP won't think it wasn't a RT reaction?

When do you want patient to start endocrine therapy? Would you prefer they start it after RT, or during RT?

No discussion of APBI? No discussion of observation? No discussion of 5Fx breast? No discussion of alternative options that are oncologically equivalent (dependent on which outcome patient may want).

Kinda paternalistic to literally just recommend one option without shared decision making in this space, no?

What are the acute and late toxicities of breast RT? Do you assume that when patient gets hot flashes or joint pains that their PCP won't think it wasn't a RT reaction?

When do you want patient to start endocrine therapy? Would you prefer they start it after RT, or during RT?

We discussed APBI. Why does it need to be in note? We stuck with category 1.

Did not discuss observation. It's category 1 to treat with RT. I am not going over non category 1 treatments unless I'm choosing a non category 1.

I am very paternalistic. I am well trained and they have come for my advice. I have given it. I think I've talked about this. I'm not that into shared decision making. It got thrust upon us, without evidence.

Acute and late toxicities are well documented and have not changed in 30 years. So are the toxicities of ET. Not gonna save me in court. In 12 years, not one PCP has called me about RT toxicity. Not one!

I don't make any decision on the start time of ET. There used to be concern about S1 phase, but no one cares any more.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, I think we're going to pretty significantly disagree on the whole "shared decision making isn't something I value with my patients" thing... So you did discuss APBI, but didn't document it as an option? I will correct a resident who 1) documents something that was not done or 2) does not document something that was done and is clinically relevant.

Observation not an option for this low-risk DCIS patient as per RTOG 9804? Because of a LC benefit?
Do all of your 65-70+ T1N0 IDC patients get RT too, no discussion about observation?

How does anyone know you talked about side effects? The amount of times I've seen a patient in follow-up or covering and the patient has ZERO idea of what toxicities to expect is astronomically high. The PCPs are not calling you about RT toxicity because they're telling their patients it's because of it! This is like the entire reason we still have so many people in the current generation who as either laymen or even other physicians are so incredibly biased against RT.

If you write a barebones note in a paternalistic manner with zero description of the thought process and lack of nuance necessary for clinical situations, it makes you sound like a boomer rad onc. Now you and I both know that you're not a boomer rad onc when it comes to planning based on your post history, but how would you expect anyone who reads THAT A/P to think that you would do anything differently than a boomer?

Your note sounds like this to me: "Patient has L Breast DCIS. Got surgery. To receive radiation. Thank you for this interesting consult." Bill 99205.

Yeah, I think we're going to pretty significantly disagree on the whole "shared decision making isn't something I value with my patients" thing... So you did discuss APBI, but didn't document it as an option? I will correct a resident who 1) documents something that was not done or 2) does not document something that was done and is clinically relevant.

Observation not an option for this low-risk DCIS patient as per RTOG 9804? Because of a LC benefit?
Do all of your 65-70+ T1N0 IDC patients get RT too, no discussion about observation?

How does anyone know you talked about side effects? The amount of times I've seen a patient in follow-up or covering and the patient has ZERO idea of what toxicities to expect is astronomically high. The PCPs are not calling you about RT toxicity because they're telling their patients it's because of it! This is like the entire reason we still have so many people in the current generation who as either laymen or even other physicians are so incredibly biased against RT.

If you write a barebones note in a paternalistic manner with zero description of the thought process and lack of nuance necessary for clinical situations, it makes you sound like a boomer rad onc. Now you and I both know that you're not a boomer rad onc when it comes to planning based on your post history, but how would you expect anyone who reads THAT A/P to think that you would do anything differently than a boomer?

Your note sounds like this to me: "Patient has L Breast DCIS. Got surgery. To receive radiation. Thank you for this interesting consult." Bill 99205.
That's an opinion. Not one I agree with :) You can just call people Boomer that do things you disagree with, but true Boomers are the ones writing these long notes. This is like when people started saying "literally" when they meant it not literally.

I see a long note with all that stuff in it, and I see inefficiency, note bloat and inefficient communication. It really frustrates me. I'm board certified. I don't need to read about 9804 in your note. I see a lot of that from young docs, showing how recently they took their exams. It is ... something.

Observation is an option. RT is category 1. I was consulted for my opinion. I gave it :)

For stage I, I've tweeted about this and talked about it - if you can get a screening mammo, diag mammo, biopsy, lump +/- SLN, even think about ET for 5 years, you can get RT for 5 days. It is category 1. I bring up observation and then I say, "in my opinion the reduction of IBTR is worth it".

I said I talked about side effects. They are well documented.

It's interesting about PCPs - I'm setting up shop in one, 1/2 a day every other week starting this month. We have excellent relationships with them. If you talk to them, spend time in their office, they really get to learn about what we do. Most don't have time to read the long notes where the toxicity is listed in a paragraph 5 pages deep.

I like your last sentence. That is a good note! I would understand completely.

Sean McBride says his consult is tweet length. I don't think he's a Boomer.

Also: nuance for breast cancer? Have you not seen my algorithm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. My experience with boomers in academic is that they pretty much never actually write the note, and just sign off on whatever resident/PA did the note for them. The rare times they have to do their own note, it is usually incredibly short, deficient on history, and simply says "patient to get radiation" with no additional details. Never seen a boomer do a long note. They can't type or dictate sufficiently.

I'm not saying I'd cite 9804 specifically. Here is what I'd consider my A/P to be, although for mynotes, I write out all RT specific acronyms (WBI, APBI, etc)

"58 yo woman w/ asymptomatic mammographically detected DCIS in left breast, +/+, grade 2. S/p lumpectomy, showing 1.5cm tumor, closest margin 3mm. Has healed appropriately.

Multiple reasonable options in this scenario. WBI 40Gy in 15Fx vs APBI 30Gy in 5Fx QOD. These regimens have equal LC, better cosmesis w/ APBI. Would not recommend 5Fx WBI if APBI candidate. If patient wants, could consider observation (with HT adherence) for equivalent OS, but decreased local control at 10-years.

Toxicities of RT expected to be mild. *INSERT BREAST TOX TEMPLATE that is 3 sentences*.

Patient wants to proceed with WBI. CT Sim next week, start a week after. To discuss with Med Onc regarding timing of systemic therapy."

Is that too long of an A/P? Sure, my personal notes are generally going to be longer than that, but I am not advocating for people to be as wordy/in-depth as I am. Fortunately, the way Rad Onc works is, that your Rad Onc notes are very rarely read by another Rad Onc. And I strongly believe the surgeons/med oncs I work with appreciate the documentation of the thought process so that they don't have to call me about little details, because they'll read my note.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The amount of times I've seen a patient in follow-up or covering and the patient has ZERO idea of what toxicities to expect is astronomically high.
The amount of times I have extensively covered side effects with the patient and seen them in followup and [the patient] have ZERO idea of what toxicities to expect is still surprisingly high to me to this day!

Anybody still say "rib fractures" to breast cancer patients? (At this point, I do not; I feel it's fear-mongering.) I bet I have treated irradiated 2000 breast cancer patients in my life.

Rib fracture toxicity rate:

Last edited:
The amount of times I have extensively covered side effects with the patient and seen them in followup and [the patient] have ZERO idea of what toxicities to expect is still surprisingly high to me to this day!

Anybody still say "rib fractures" to breast cancer patients? (At this point, I do not; I feel it's fear-mongering.) I bet I have treated irradiated 2000 breast cancer patients in my life.

Rib fracture toxicity rate:

Fair enough - perhaps the amount that sticks is what I'm seeing.

In regards to the bolded - I say weakened bones - not spontaneous rib fractures, but that if they were to have a traumatic event in the irradiated region, they may be more likely to have a rib fracture in the irradiated area. Although, in fairness, that may just be voodoo that I have not thought to look up.

But of course, I don't treat breast patients with protons.

I used to write my notes like that, @evilbooyaa

I don’t have a problem with them

I don’t see surgeons or MOs going into any level of detail regarding this

If I choose a non standard treatment, I explain further.

If standard treatment, no need for me to get into details

I cannot imagine pcp going into why or why not giving antibiotic and referencing controversies.

But we are a special breed!

The amount of times I've seen a patient in follow-up or covering and the patient has ZERO idea of what toxicities to expect is astronomically high.

I see this all the time and I spend way more time with my patients than all my medoncs and surgeons
It almost doesn't matter how much you discuss with some people, at least in my patient population

Many patients don't listen or remember. Informed consent is entirely overrated. I just do what I can to help them understand.

My notes get shorter every year.

HPI is pertinent positives and negatives.

PE is practically nil.

Toxicity documentation is "common toxicities include, but not limited to..." Just so PCPs can reference if they wish.

I do some degree of shared decision, especially if there's no clear standard, but I agree more with Simul. Patients are there for your expert opinion, not a educational seminar where they have to synthesize complex or competing pros and cons. Pilots don't query passengers on what approach to take on a runway given a specific set of wind and precipitation conditions. Not sure why our elderly cancer patients should be burdened with this either. Tell them what you'd do yourself. That's what they actually want.

IDK, guys. I mean if they are sent to me to discuss options then I'd want to discuss options. Especially if there are multiple options within RT.

If they're sent to me because TB said they needed RT and there's like one option and that was one of the reasonable SOC, then sure. Like - patient has locally advanced lung cancer, not a surgical candidate, needs definitive RT to go along with chemotherapy. Yes, that is a short discussion in terms of treatment options.

Do you guys tell all your prostates that they need 9 weeks of RT (as opposed to 5.5 weeks), if that's what you'd want for themselves?
Do you guys tell all your 65+ yr old breast patients that they need RT?

Let's get to something we can all agree upon: How great it is to be able to do SOAP notes for OTVs. Mine:

s/p 11/21 fx
s nnc
o pe unchanged
ap tol rt well cont tx as planned

Capitalization and punctuation slows you down

Reactions: 3 users
IDK, guys. I mean if they are sent to me to discuss options then I'd want to discuss options. Especially if there are multiple options within RT.

If they're sent to me because TB said they needed RT and there's like one option and that was one of the reasonable SOC, then sure. Like - patient has locally advanced lung cancer, not a surgical candidate, needs definitive RT to go along with chemotherapy. Yes, that is a short discussion in terms of treatment options.

Do you guys tell all your prostates that they need 9 weeks of RT (as opposed to 5.5 weeks), if that's what you'd want for themselves?
Do you guys tell all your 65+ yr old breast patients that they need RT?
“After discussing all standard of care options we decided on XXX”

My philosophy on notes to is fill them with as many non-stop smart phrases, templates, and official labs/radiology reports as possible. There are usually 3-5 sentences of that are actually put in by me explicitly by me regarding the patient specifically.

When the run of the mill auditor sees the note, they see such a tremendous wall of text that they are usually satisfied without delving further.

"If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bull****."
Spot on!

it is really quite something, the intellectual fellatio, people in our field get from just regurgitating information in notes. You think a surgeon discusses the entire mound of literature on nonsurgical abx management of appendicitis citing percentages to patients and the recent metanalysis? Or do they say “to or” and sign their note? Your long notes dont get you the respect you think they get you. Our eyes just glaze over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
it is really quite something, the intellectual fellatio, people in our field get from just regurgitating information in notes. You think a surgeon discusses the entire mound of literature on nonsurgical abx management of appenditis citing percentages to patients and the recent metanalysis? Or do they say “to or” and sign their note? Your long notes dont get you the respect you think they get you. Our eyes just glaze over.
Main difference between our specialty and others. A rad onc dictating a surgical consult would dictate all the surgical options, and non surgical options, different scalpels or bovies that could be used, open vs laparoscopic vs robotic approaches, the various different surgical approaches and incisions, different anastomotic and reconstructive approaches and history thereof with mandatory Sabiston or Halstead name drop, advantages of various sutures and operative complication/infection rates, role of postoperative antibiotics, drain placement, closure techniques, need vs non-need of bouffant head coverings, risk of complications and mortality in high volume vs non high volume centers, role of preoperative cardiac clearance if a smoker, phase of moon...

Reactions: 8 users
it is really quite something, the intellectual fellatio, people in our field get from just regurgitating information in notes. You think a surgeon discusses the entire mound of literature on nonsurgical abx management of appenditis citing percentages to patients and the recent metanalysis? Or do they say “to or” and sign their note? Your long notes dont get you the respect you think they get you. Our eyes just glaze over.
Yes!! This is what I was trying to say.

Main difference between our specialty and others. A rad onc dictating a surgical consult would dictate all the surgical options, and non surgical options, different scalpels or bovies that could be used, open vs laparoscopic vs robotic approaches, the various different surgical approaches and incisions, different anastomotic and reconstructive approaches and history thereof with mandatory Sabiston or Halstead name drop, advantages of various sutures and operative complication/infection rates, role of postoperative antibiotics, drain placement, closure techniques, need vs non-need of bouffant head coverings, risk of complications and mortality in high volume vs non high volume centers, role of preoperative cardiac clearance if a smoker, phase of moon...
I think maybe had to do with transition to competitive specialty, and they felt that they had to intellectualize the field. I mean, for 5+ years they had to lie and say they wanted to be academic doctors, then suddenly they are out in Winter Haven, explaining the flaws of ESPAC study but finally just not recommending RT (and feeling quite smug about it)

• Haha
I think maybe had to do with transition to competitive specialty, and they felt that they had to intellectualize the field. I mean, for 5+ years they had to lie and say they wanted to be academic doctors, then suddenly they are out in Winter Haven, explaining the flaws of ESPAC study but finally just not recommending RT (and feeling quite smug about it)
Maybe this is why we canabalize on each other. I think once we start deflating our egos and realize our “stock price” isn’t worth as much it was 5 yrs ago, maybe we will start doing what needs to be done to advance the field instead of holding on to old habits and actions that are not that productive in today’s environment.

As a resident, I was taught to make my notes lengthy because that is what everyone was doing and my attendings loved it. I continued with my lengthy notes during my first few years as an attending. It didn’t take long for me to realize that nobody cared much about them.

Today, I may put up a Nccn guideline or a reference to remind myself what my plan is going to be but I’ve stopped “sharing my knowledge” to the world.

Make Rad Onc Great Again 2024!

Last edited:
I just have standard templates for A/P for most disease sites and can tweak them as needed. Only ones that tend to be long are prostate (mainly to ensure urologist or PCP or whoever understands we are not a send and zap place :)) or similar situations. Most notes take minimal time.

Maybe this is why we canabalize on each other. I think once we start deflating our egos and realize our “stock price” isn’t worth as much it was 5 yrs ago, maybe we will start doing what needs to be done to advance the field instead of holding on to old habits and actions that are not that productive in today’s environment.

As a resident, I was taught to make my notes lengthy because that is what everyone was doing and my attendings loved it. I continued with my lengthy notes during my first few years as an attending. It didn’t take long for me to realize that nobody cared much about them.

Today, I may put up a Nccn guideline or a reference to remind myself what my plan is going to be but I’ve stopped “sharing my knowledge” to the world.

Make Rad Onc Great Again 2024!

I realized the same thing. Plus patients don’t want to hear the 45 different ways to address unfav int prostate ca. they want direction so I give it to them.

Reactions: 6 users
I realized the same thing. Plus patients don’t want to hear the 45 different ways to address unfav int prostate ca. they want direction so I give it to them.
Imagine the number of trees lost by the time an engineer with prostate cancer has visited with a third radiation oncologist.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Imagine the number of trees lost by the time an engineer with prostate cancer has visited with a third radiation oncologist.

I’ve been there dude. The other 2 can have him.

I had one dingus who thought he was a lawyer. Trying to cross examine me. “Well that’s not what Dr X said” -

• Haha
I don't have the will power to deal with those people - if there are multiple decent options in the city to get treated please leave my center for the other guy

Tougher if you're the only option locally

I don't have the will power to deal with those people - if there are multiple decent options in the city to get treated please leave my center for the other guy

Saves you time and energy and the staff will thank you. Patients sometimes don’t understand that they can be their own worst enemy.

For sure... Some patients really would be better off undergoing treatment at the regional PPS exempt financially toxic NCI center

I don’t know that it does

Don’t think a single lawsuit decided based on this
Was a consultant in a lawsuit that revolved around this point. Patient had a surgery with a poor outcome. Sued bc patient said surgeon did not discuss alternatives (RT). No documentation that alternatives were discussed. Never saw a rad onc prior to surgery. Surgeon lost.

Probably enough to say you discussed alternatives without specifying, particularly if patient has seen other specialist.