What else can I do? Is anyone doing Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So here are my stats:
30MCAT and a 3.4. My science GPA is kind of low because of an illness issue. I thought about re-taking the one class that brought down my average but I don't think it's worth it for one class! I have a summer of research and a lot of clinical experience (my dad's an emergency doc so I get to play with his residents). I got 4 interviews, 4 waitlists and 0 acceptances. I'm really depressed about it and can't think of applying now so I'm waiting until 2007.

I'm doing an EMT program so I can volunteer in Israel in January, and then I'm doing an internship with a hospital in Tel Aviv so I'll be there for a total of 4 months. Then I was going to work as an EMT in MI while I re-apply and I guess do a masters program either at Drexel or Wayne State. Do you guys think this is enough? Do you think doing the masters program is necessary I really don't want to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply to any osteopathic schools? Statistically you have a decent shot going that route.

I don't think the EMT thing will get you much farther since you already have "a lot of clinical experience." You already know this, but your GPA and MCAT are holding you back. Reapplying is all about addressing your weaknesses, IMO.

Personally, I think that your stats arent bad at all. A 3.4 BCMP gpa is not that bad, geez, you act like you have a 2.8. The other poster is right, though, EMT wont really get you really far, however, the fact that you are travelling to Israel stands out. And a 30 MCAT is decent enough for MD programs.

Did you apply broadly the last time you applied? If not, you should. Did you apply to where your dad went to school? Sometimes that helps. What if you took some more like upper division bio classes, i.e. microbio, genetics, physiology, evolution, etc????

I say, you apply to DO programs too. That is, if you arent against the philosophy. I still think though you have a decent shot at MD programs. Also, did you apply early last time? Sometimes, thats it too. Did you take the MCAT in April or August? If you took it in August that may have been another reason why your file was denied, it was a late application since MCAT scores dont come out till October.

Keep trying, your stats are not bad for MD programs. But thats my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Masters dont help as much in the year of application because the grades wont be on your AMCAS. I'm doing it, but from what I hear they are much better if done before AMCAS is filled out. I would go to israel, then come back and get a research job, u may want to look at www.training.nih.gov i've loved my time here and should get a few publications out of it. A few of my friends that have worked here say the adcoms love NIH on the resume at interviews. Guess i'll find out this year. My $.02.

Jim

I am kind of in the same boat but with weaker stats. It is unfortunate that you did not get in with your stats.
I have a 3.2 and a 25 on the MCAT (should have done much better). I am pursuing a masters degree in physiology and biophysics at U of Louisville. After taking the classes for a year...and taking the MCAT in 2006, I plan to apply for the 2007 class. I have an interview with the admissions counselor tommorow and a lot of my questions will hopefully be answered at that time. Many say that graduate GPAs do not matter as your undergrad GPA will be used to screen candidates. However, your 3.4 is a good GPA.
If I were you, I would either take some more classes and get straight As or do a masters program this year and by doing so you can prove that you can handle the intense science course load. I think your MCAT is a good score too...but if you think you can do better...as I do...study hard this year and take it in April.
The reason I am doing a masters is that I want to show that I can do well in my science courses....and also it is a department that is part of the medical school....perhaps I can make some connections, know people, and that may help me get into the connected medical school.

I am also planning to apply to DO schools next year as well the carribbean route. In the end...in my opinion...MD, DO, or FMG...you will become a physician and treat your patients. I have friends who have also done poorly as undergraduates and do not want to do the DO route because of the letters behind their name...I can accept that...it is all about personal choices.

I am keeping my head up...I will not make the same mistakes as I made as an undergrad...kick butt in my graduate courses, really start studying for the MCAT and kick butt in that too....and I will hopefully get in for the 2007 class somewhere....

Keep in touch as I will hopefully have more to write about after I talk to the admissions counselor tommorow. Good luck with everything and post or send me a message if you have any other questions...

P.S. I applied after the deadline to the masters program...if you ask the director/coordinator of the program they might make an exception and let you in to do a program this year....also...in my opinion...it does not matter if you do a one year program or a two year...even if the program I was going to do this year is a one year program....I will still have a lag year while I am applying....

In the same boat with 31 MCAT and 3.1 science gpa (much lower than yours). IMO, your stats are okay especially since had an illness. I suggest you call the admissions offices of the schools you were wait-listed at and try to get their take on what your weaknesses were and why you weren't able to get an acceptance.

If it's grades, take a few undergrad upper level science classes if you're dead-set against a master's. I understand the sentiment. I have a spot to go to Boston Univ's Master's in Medical Sciences but I'm thinking about giving it up in order to just work and take evening classes. It's a lot of money and if you think you can accomplish the same on your own, I don't see what the problem is. I'm aiming for 2007 matriculation too so if I change my mind and decide I want to do a more formal post-bacc, I'll apply early for the Georgetown SMP.

Best bet, call adcoms. Get their take. And go from there.

you should call up/go talk to ad com directors and ask if a post bacc or masters will do the trick....

that is what I am planning on doing...are you not even considering a traditional masters?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your stats unless you're shooting for competitive schools. Otherwise don't waste your money on a master's or post-bacc. Your money would be better spent taking Kaplan/PR/EK and improving your MCAT score, although that is fine too. Apply early and apply to a broad range of schools (use the money you saved from not doing a post-bacc and apply to a bunch of schools!). On the plane ride back from Israel, work on a killer personal statement!

-X

berry said:
Hi guys,
So here are my stats:
30MCAT and a 3.4. My science GPA is kind of low because of an illness issue. I thought about re-taking the one class that brought down my average but I don't think it's worth it for one class! I have a summer of research and a lot of clinical experience (my dad's an emergency doc so I get to play with his residents). I got 4 interviews, 4 waitlists and 0 acceptances. I'm really depressed about it and can't think of applying now so I'm waiting until 2007.

I'm doing an EMT program so I can volunteer in Israel in January, and then I'm doing an internship with a hospital in Tel Aviv so I'll be there for a total of 4 months. Then I was going to work as an EMT in MI while I re-apply and I guess do a masters program either at Drexel or Wayne State. Do you guys think this is enough? Do you think doing the masters program is necessary I really don't want to do it.

So is that 3.4 your cumulative or your science? It's difficult to make a recommendation without complete information.

My personal opinion is that master's programs are only worth it if you're GPA is extremely low. Otherwise, enrolling as a second degree student at a university to take additional upper-level sciences is the better option, but it all depends on your GPAs.

Thanks soo much for all your feedback! My 3.4 is both science and cum and personally I thought that was great but I guess med school didn't I just happen to be a lazy non-competitive student, whoops. I did apply to my dad's stupid alumni school and he's on faculty there and I'm still on the waitlist! Since orientation started Monday I think I can say it's over... I'm not dead set against doing the masters I will if I have to and even though they won't have grades when I apply I'll send them my December grades. I wasn't really concerned with bringing my grades up but I heard that a lot of the masters programs feed kids right into their med school. I feel like since I got 4 interviews I just need to resume build? I did NOT apply to DO school and I really regret it but I will the second time around for sure. The thought of retaking the MCATs makes me nauseous and I would love to not re-take the same sciences. I really only got 2 bad grades (B- and C during the MCATs oyy) do you think I should retake those 2 classes? I got all A's and B+'s besides those.
I know I should do the masters this year but it's more important to me that I spend time in Israel. That's why I wanted to train as an EMT so I can volunteer there and then when I come home work and make some money and get experience in emergency (I want to do EM anyways). I think it's good advice to make an appointment to see admissions directors so I will definitely do that.
If I do do the masters program which ones should I do?

Thanks guys and good luck to you all!

I forgot to mention one thing and see everyone's opinion.
I recently applied to Sackler SOM in Tel Aviv Israel. Apparently most get residencies (exp maybe not the top competitive), love the school and people and love living in Israel. Do you think that's too risky?

ATN19 said:
... I suggest you call the admissions offices of the schools you were wait-listed at and try to get their take on what your weaknesses were and why you weren't able to get an acceptance...

I would have to strongly agree with the above. I was a 3 time applicant and the first two times I applied I contacted the admissions office and got suggestions. I would have to disagree though with a previous resondent who said that EMT wasn't a good avenue to pursue. In addition to taking graduate level courses (but not a masters degree) I also volunteered in the hospital, became and worked as an EMT, and shadowed as many doctors as I could, especially ones I could get great LORs from. It was hard work but definately worth it!!! :thumbup:

PS. I had 30 MCAT and 3.125 GPA... and am over the age of 35 (well over!), so anybody can get in if they do the work. That't the hard part. The rest is gravy.

That's somewhat reassuring to hear, b/c I'm in the process of gearing up to figure out what I've gotta do for the app process. Applied my senior year of school, didn't have stellar grades with an MCAT of 28 GPA 3.0. Needless to say did not get in. Took a MPH in policy while working full-time in clinical pharma with travel involved (which I don't recommend particularly if you must commute a long distance to class), and am now hearing from the premed advisor at my undergrad that I need to take more science courses, b/c the grades are so old and not great.

Am curious to know when you took the higher level courses, did you enroll in a post-bac or were you doing them piecemeal? And how long did it take you to complete?

I feel the OP's pain. I went to a very competitive school and did very well in my opinion. (3.54 overall, 3.4 science, and 3.8 in bio) besides my one bad grade my first semester in bio I have tore it up. I took the MCAT last august and unfortunately due to a full time job and full time summer classes along with volunteering I only studied for the bio part of the mcat. I did that to make up for my poor bio grade from first semester even though I basically got straight A's since that. Anyway I got a 9-9-13 S with the 13 being bio. I applied to 12 schools last yr (Dartmouth, Wake, GWU, Tufts, BU, G-town, Jeff, RWJ, UMDNJ, UIC, and a few more) ... didnt get in anywhere. So now I am reapplying .. my question is do you think this enough: I rewrote my PS and now it is very very strong, I volunteered like a 100 hours for habitat for humanity, I have shadowed a Rheumatologist ( desired speciality) every wed for 7 months and he gave me a very good rec, I do research at a med school in rheumatology and submitted publications (can take up to a year to be published!), and am taking graduate level bio classes in non degree seking program. What more can I do? I have already been rejected by Wake this cycle and most likely SUNY - upstate. I did have an institutional action (minor one of alcohol violation though). Do you think that is holding me back?!

To the last few posters and the OP...

I am also curious to know if you guys are applying to top tier schools. Why were you not competitive with a 3.4 and a 31 on the MCAT? Those are really really good scores. Perhaps taking a few classes to up the GPA a little bit/take a few upper level classes or taking the MCAT again to up your already high scores should do the trick. There is nothing wrong with your stats in my opinion...

And to the above poster...all the extra work--shadowing, working, publications, etc. will definately pay off in my opinion. I would not be worried at all if I was in your situation.
I have a 3.2 and a 25. Look at me...I am doing a traditional masters, taking the MCAT again, and will be applying. Keep your heads up...I am sure you will get in soon...just my opinion.