What else can I do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have 40 hours for an Internal medicine physician shadowing and I shadowed another 40 hours for an oncologist. Volunteering at our local hospital is very hard because they don't accept people unless you have connections. What can I do otherwise? I am also going to Peru for 14 days in the summer but I have no other clinical experience. Please help!
Do you have any local clinics or retirement homes?

I volunteered at a retirement/ nursing home but it was more about interacting with them and helping them in playing games and crafting. What would that count as?

Members don't see this ad :)
Patient contact experience! !

Look into clinics or hospice. Your mission trip won't count for anything, BTW. Go check out the trip to Haiti thread

I volunteered at a retirement/ nursing home but it was more about interacting with them and helping them in playing games and crafting. What would that count as?

Reactions: 1 users
I have 40 hours for an Internal medicine physician shadowing and I shadowed another 40 hours for an oncologist. Volunteering at our local hospital is very hard because they don't accept people unless you have connections. What can I do otherwise? I am also going to Peru for 14 days in the summer but I have no other clinical experience. Please help!

Try to find a hospice or long-term care facility where you can volunteer with patients. If you're dealing with patients directly, it's clinical experience.

Except the Peru thing, that won't count for much honestly.

Hospice, memory care unit, retirement community, homeless shelter, VA hospital, senior day care, school for disabled children, ESL night classes, food pantries, suicide hotlines, tutoring for disadvantaged students -- LOTS of volunteer opportunities if you're willing to leave the clean and safe suburban hospitals.