What else should I consider!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wsp443

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have read though many of the posts here to know that it really is never to late to consider medical school. I am 32 years old and would have to do some post-bac work to even think about applying. I have an undergrad in buisness and a masters in IT. So clearly I am missing the science. So figure another 2-3 years before I can apply. So 35-36 before I even start Med School!!!

What I am looking for is advice and other things to consider and what other things I should be doing. Also if anyone thinks that this is a good/bad idea then I would like to hear about that as well. Other information that might be helpful to know is that my wife is about to graduate with a teaching degree and we were talking about starting a family next year.

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing to consider is whether you really want to become a physician. It's very easy to answer with "of course I do," but much harder to say exactly why. If you really want it, all of the steps between you and med school will be relatively easy to swallow.

Well, I'll be repeating posts I've already made - but Wsp443's academic background is very similar to my own. I had my baccalaureate and masters in accounting - and had done a considerable amount of graduate work in IT before I decided to pursue medicine.

I agree with blee's post. If you've done graduate work in IT, you will probably have very little trouble with premedical science. 35 isn't too old to start medical school at all (I was accepted this month at age 44). If you're willing to work hard, 2 years is closer to the mark for premed sciences (I took a heavy load while working full-time, but for me it was 16 months from the time I started to the time I took the MCAT).

The only concern I have is that I don't hear where your passion for medicine comes from (and I apologize if you just chose not to discuss that part). I think you should go into medicine for only one reason: you can't imagine doing anything else with the rest of your life. It's entirely possible to demonstrate to an admissions committee that, although your background is in business and IT, you've decided to pursue medicine - but I believe that your story has to be compelling, perhaps much more so than a traditional applicant. If you have good grades and a good MCAT, the admissions committee will have one big question: are you doing this for the right reasons? The secondary question is: do you know what you are getting into? (Which is why shadowing and volunteering are very important to the non-trad applicant.)

The problem is, you won't have too much trouble with premedical science - but your life will become difficult. I assume that, if you have a family, you will be working while you do your prerequisites. It's a very tough road - I worked all day then I was in class and lab many nights until 10pm - and I would arrive home dead on my feet. Most weekends I had to devote a substantial amount of time to studying, lab reports, etc - because that was the only time I had to catch-up (I'm single, by the way). On top of everything else, you will have to devote a substantial amount of time to studying for the MCAT. The application process is expensive - I spent several thousand dollars before it was all over. And, although I very much enjoyed most of my classmates - the premed process is very competitive and can be heartbreaking.

Lots of people have gone down the premed road with a young family. I don't have a family of my own, but - from what I know - I don't think it's realistic to think that your family life won't be affected - as a premed and in medical school. Your family needs to share your vision in order to be willing to share the sacrifices with you. I believe that you need to have a real passion for medicine - that's what will carry you through the tough times that will inevitably come.

If you've developed a clear vision of your choice of medicine, I sincerely wish you good luck! SDN is a great resource that can answer many of your questions as you go through the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Blee and Non-TradTulsa I want to thank you both for for your responses. You both also questioned why I have begun thinking about this, not suprisingly this question is one that my wife has posed to me many times over the last few weeks. While I cannot honestly say that "it has been a life long dream", I have always enjoyed helping others. I was the head concierge at the Ritz-Carlton for four years and can honestly say that I was very happy during those years assiting others. As for medicine and becoming a physician, I have had a sort of emptyness to me for some time and believe that becoming a physician would fill that void. Recently my wife had to undergo a major surgery to investigate three tumors that were found on her liver three years ago, thoughout the entire process (test after test) I found myself spending countless hours researching the various possible conditions that were presented and finding myself reading about things that were not even related but engrossed like it was a best selling novel! I have always been amazed by the way the human body works (I was unaware that the 20% of my wife's liver that was removed would regrow). Also my grandfather had a very caring doctor contact him this past Friday before Christmas to address some very disturbing blood results at 9:30 at night to ensure that he received the proper medical treatment in a timely manner. Luckly both of these incidents turned out very well. I think that as a physician it can be one of the most rewarding occupations in the world. I would like to think that I could become one of those individuals that can sincerely make a difference in peoples lives. I hope that this conveys my desire and where it stems from!

As for what I am getting into, I am very interested in shadowing and volunteering. I am not exactly sure how to begin that process, but was planning on contacting various doctors in my area. Is this the right approach?

As for the "tough road ahead", I know that I would not be able to do this without the full support of my wife, who is the worlds greatest by the way. That is part of the reason for this post, we want to to be sure that examine all of the issues that will could be presented thoughtout the process. We would be kidding ourselves if we thought for one second that our lives would not be effected. So we are trying to discuss all of these topics up front. Thanks again for all of the encouragement and advice as always I welcome any additional comments and advice.

It sounds like you're off to a good start. You've got some school ahead of you before you take the MCAT and apply, but before spending too much money and spending too much time without a salary, I would highly recommend you get some shadowing and volunteering under your belt. (I did this while taking classes, which worked for me, but I already had a pretty good idea of what I was getting into.) I'm willing to bet that your idea of a physician's daily resposibilities is at least partly accurate, but there are probably other things you may not have considered. Don't expect to be turned off of medicine, or anything like that; just try to expose yourself to as much as possible. A good place to start would be a hospital or office linked to a local university or medical school. Some private-practice physicians are willing to have shadows, but you'll probably find it much easier going at a facility that routinely handles students.

As for non-academic challenges, there are quite a few. You'll run into them as you go along, of course, but expect to come across issues of money management, time management...all kinds of things. At the same time, I found that the hardest part was just deciding to do it in the first place. Everything else fell into place as we put our affairs in order.

:thumbup: Wsp443. Your wife's illness and your reaction to it can be a great start to the personal statement that you will write with your medical school applications - and I do recommend that you use your essay to answer the question - "why medicine now" - you won't get a chance to explain the story in person if you don't get an interview! I had thought about becoming a physician for a long time - but my Dad's death two years ago was my turning point when I realized that it was now-or-never for my dream - and that became the subject of my essay. I wish you the best of luck again (and I'm glad your wife had a successful recovery!) - and stick with the Non-Trad Forum - it was a **huge** help to me.

I am 32 now, have a degree in Business/Information Systems, and have gone down the road that you are contemplating, so I can empathize entirely. Your reasons sound nothing but genuine; all you can do now is start. Your wife and you will adjust accordingly or you will change your mind. Either way, you will never know if you don't give it a try. It took me three years of post baccalaureate work, and there were several times along the way where my wife and I questioned the endeavor; but ultimately our commitment and perseverence overcame the obstacles and we were blessed with an acceptance last week. As non-trad says, it is difficult and downright nasty at times, but it is well worth the effort to do what you are passionate about for the rest of your life. I wish you the best!

Wsp443 said:
Okay, I have read though many of the posts here to know that it really is never to late to consider medical school. I am 32 years old and would have to do some post-bac work to even think about applying. I have an undergrad in buisness and a masters in IT. So clearly I am missing the science. So figure another 2-3 years before I can apply. So 35-36 before I even start Med School!!!

What I am looking for is advice and other things to consider and what other things I should be doing. Also if anyone thinks that this is a good/bad idea then I would like to hear about that as well. Other information that might be helpful to know is that my wife is about to graduate with a teaching degree and we were talking about starting a family next year.

Okay, I'll join the echo chamber. If medicine is what you want to do, you should go for it. As others have said, I think the best possible thing you can to is shadow a physician. Take every opportunity you can find to see what it is like being a doctor. Then decide if that is what you want to do with the rest of your life.

If you are having trouble getting started, here a couple of ideas. Your local university where you want to do your post-bacc work will likely have a health sciences advisor. Make and appt. and go talk with that person. Ask them about shadowing opportunities in your area. There is likely a heath sciences club on campus. Contact the club and ask around about doctors and facilities that are open to having a pre-med student shadow. Check with your local hospitals. Most will have a volunteer coordinator. See if they have a volunteer program that will allow you to shadow a physician at least a little. Ask your own doctor. He/she might not want you shadowing but might know another doctor that would allow it. Ask your wife's doctors. If all else fails, just start cold calling physicians and ask if you can shadow and if not do they know someone who would allow it.

On the coursework side, since you haven't much science, I would recommend easing into your program. The courses tend to be pretty hard and the competition is pretty good. You can do it. I'm not trying to scare you but your previous study habits and expectations might need adjusting, and you don't want any bad grades! Since I'm now in charge of your life (yea right! ;) ), I'd probably get your shadowing going and maybe start your biology sequence. If you really enjoy your clinical experiences and the biology, that is a good sign to press on. If not, then you can start considering those other things.

I'm 41 years old and starting med school this coming fall. I've thought long and hard about other things. For me, nothing else compares. I wish I could find something that I want to do as much, because it is unlikely it would be as difficult a road as medicine is, but there you have it. Best of luck, and don't think you're too old, almost but not yet!