Should I still consider medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwrightjr90

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am very psyched to continue on with my pre-med courses but something was brought to my attention that kind of has me worried. In 2014, I failed to withdraw from a class at my local community college and that has been annotated ion my transcripts. I did not think anything of it because I after I left my community college, I went to different, four year colleges and maintained an A or A- average in all my classes. I also took some pre requisite courses at that same community college, from 2018 to present, and the lowest grade I have received is an A minus. Even with maintaining an A/A- average at the school, that failure to withdraw brings my grade point average down to a 2.50 GPA. As for the four year college that I did graduate from, I earned a 3.93 GPA. I am also seven months away from earning my MBA and the lowest grade that I have received is an A minus. I am asking because I plan on applying to a POST Bac program and they are expensive. No reason for me to apply if I am already dead in the water, if I get accepted to a Post Bac program. I am very open to DO and MD schools.

TYIA

Members don't see this ad.

You only failed to withdraw from one class, correct? What is your overall undergraduate class GPA? If you graded w/ a 3.93 and got all A's in your post bac classes, there should be no problem even with one F. It clearly looks out of place and you can explain it as a lapse in logistics.

You only failed to withdraw from one class, correct? What is your overall undergraduate class GPA? If you graded w/ a 3.93 and got all A's in your post bac classes, there should be no problem even with one F. It clearly looks out of place and you can explain it as a lapse in logistics.
Yes, that is the only class that I failed to withdraw from. It was in 2014. I withdrew from another class, a criminal justice course, in 2016. I did that the correct way. But that is it. Everything else is all good to go and all As. I have a B in Psychology from 2009 when I was in 9th grade.

Yes, that is the only class that I failed to withdraw from. It was in 2014. I withdrew from another class, a criminal justice course, in 2016. I did that the correct way. But that is it. Everything else is all good to go and all As. I have a B in Psychology from 2009 when I was in 9th grade.
Then I wouldn't worry about it. When you apply to medical school you do not report your GPA by school but rather by year the courses were taken. The numbers that tend to matter will be your cumulative undergraduate GPA and your cumulative science GPA. Additionally, your postbac GPA is a will be on a separate line which should help make improvement that much more obvious. I don't see any reason why you should be worried. A single class will not make or break your medical career.