What exactly do top medical schools look for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skylar27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a community college student living in Florida and I plan to transfer to a university to finish up my bachelors and medical prerequisites. I have a 4.0 from starting over the summer and the fall semester but I haven't really taken any intense classes yet...and since I come from a low economic status and I was home schooled through high school, I'm taking remedial algebra classes until I can take College Algebra next fall and work up to Calculus. I am however taking Anatomy and Physiology this semester because I feel I should be taking more challenging classes to prove my self and it is the hardest course at the college from what I've heard.

I would really like to go to a top medical school...or at least have the chance to and I want to know exactly what it is the makes someone worthy of going to say Harvard or Michigan....

I already know that ANY medical school requires high GPA and MCAT...but what exactly sets you apart for the top schools?

At the moment I am aware that it might take me at least an extra year to complete all my pre-med and requirements for my bachelors degree and I worry that that would count against me in some way?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as your last question, I highly doubt that will hurt your application at all as long as you continue to do well.

As far as the rest of your questions, who really knows. Great experiences/activities, being an interesting person with a unique perspective on the world that is engaging, and being academically stout are good things to start with. But then again these schools get hordes of applicants like that each year and somehow cull the herd to a couple hundred that ultimately get accepted. Who knows how they do it.

I'm currently a community college student living in Florida and I plan to transfer to a university to finish up my bachelors and medical prerequisites. I have a 4.0 from starting over the summer and the fall semester but I haven't really taken any intense classes yet...and since I come from a low economic status and I was home schooled through high school, I'm taking remedial algebra classes until I can take College Algebra next fall and work up to Calculus. I am however taking Anatomy and Physiology this semester because I feel I should be taking more challenging classes to prove my self and it is the hardest course at the college from what I've heard.

I would really like to go to a top medical school...or at least have the chance to and I want to know exactly what it is the makes someone worthy of going to say Harvard or Michigan....

I already know that ANY medical school requires high GPA and MCAT...but what exactly sets you apart for the top schools?

At the moment I am aware that it might take me at least an extra year to complete all my pre-med and requirements for my bachelors degree and I worry that that would count against me in some way?
Some very top schools (I believe Harvard is one, though I am not 100% sure) will not recognize any CC credits, and many more do not like to see them. Keep this in mind, since you don't want to take pre-reqs at the CC level if your heart is set on "top" medical schools, or you will likely just have to take them over.

Any medical school requires good GPA and MCAT, but the top schools require excellent GPA and MCAT. You are looking at 3.8-3.9+ for GPA and 36+ for MCAT to give yourself the best chance.

Top schools are only top schools because they get the most research money. For that reason, they are quite interested in applicants with significant research experience. Get involved in some research at your university (when you transfer) and stick with it as long as you can. Getting a publication is ideal, but having long-term research that you did non-trivial work on is for all practical purposes required by the top schools.

Cookie-cutter EC's won't cut it for top schools. You should have multiple activities that show long-term commitment, matching each particular school's ideals and values, that include leadership, outreach, teaching, and obviously medical exposure.

Extra time to complete your degree shouldn't count against you, unless you are taking longer because you are keeping a very light course load due to being unable to handle a full load. If you are taking a full class load each semester, and keeping up with EC's, they shouldn't care that you took an extra year over the traditional 4.

Final point, GPA and MCAT are the most important factors, but the top schools have a bias toward top undergraduate schools. If you can get into a top undergraduate school, and keep a near-4.0 GPA, you will be applying from a stronger position than if you attended a state university. Obviously, if you get a lower GPA or MCAT, or don't have the EC's, your school name isn't going to get you anywhere.

One last thing, remember that ranking of medical schools have nothing to do with difficulty, how well they prepare you to be a doctor, or anything else along those lines. They are ranked based on research money. If you are set on academic medicine, have a huge desire to do a lot of research, or are set on one of the most prestigious residency programs out there, attending a top school can give you a boost. If you just want to be a doctor and practice medicine, the doors that being at a top school open for you may not be worth the extra cost or extra worry about remaining competitive for the top schools. Just something to think about, depending on the reason you want to attend a "top" school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this question mostly just to see what exactly are the standards that set 'top' medical school students apart from the rest...because I generally see all medical students as extremely high achievers. I suppose that having a stable background in the first place and already attending a top undergraduate school helps immensely.
I just think it would be "cool" to actually be one of the people who "stands out" and can get accepted into medical school. I know the difficulty of the program isn't any different, its just in a superficial kind of way I like the idea of one day saying to my family "I got accepted into Harvard Med!"

But my ultimate goal really is just to get into any medical school to become a physician, and due to my socioeconomic status and current location...its going to be difficult trying to find the time to volunteer and getting to a hospital to get in hours.

Everything I am doing in my life is for the future and I pretty much have no time for "now" and I figure since it is so early on in my education that maybe if I already have the direction now...I could get into a top school. Its just an idea though.

Another reason I'd want to strive for a top medical school is to get a good residency in a city like Boston or NYC...I'm not too aware of how that all works though.

I posted this question mostly just to see what exactly are the standards that set 'top' medical school students apart from the rest...because I generally see all medical students as extremely high achievers. I suppose that having a stable background in the first place and already attending a top undergraduate school helps immensely.
I just think it would be "cool" to actually be one of the people who "stands out" and can get accepted into medical school. I know the difficulty of the program isn't any different, its just in a superficial kind of way I like the idea of one day saying to my family "I got accepted into Harvard Med!"

But my ultimate goal really is just to get into any medical school to become a physician, and due to my socioeconomic status and current location...its going to be difficult trying to find the time to volunteer and getting to a hospital to get in hours.

Everything I am doing in my life is for the future and I pretty much have no time for "now" and I figure since it is so early on in my education that maybe if I already have the direction now...I could get into a top school. Its just an idea though.

Another reason I'd want to strive for a top medical school is to get a good residency in a city like Boston or NYC...I'm not too aware of how that all works though.

Slow down a bit...

You can get a residency in Boston or NYC from any medical school. Again, that is going to depend on your Boards, clinical evaluations, research, your appearance, what dimension the PD thinks you bring to the program, among other things.

Don't set your sights on top tier medical programs yet, or you will just be setting yourself up for a heartbreak. You need a firm MCAT score and (university) GPA in hand BEFORE you can even consider what medical schools you may want to apply to. Again, as was repeated before you never know what adcoms are looking for specifically. Remember, they are just trying to build a class, and at the end of the day it is not necessarily the brightest and best who go to Harvard, Hopkins, Stanford, et al....it's whoever helps build the best possible class.

To answer your question, you need:

1) Terrific number(s)

2) Something (not necessarily medically related) that no one else in the country can practically duplicate...a wow factor
It's commonly held that a Division I athlete gets the largest boost in the EC column

3) Pedigree always helps

Firstly, know that this is one of the most popular topics on SDN. If you search for other threads, you will probably find 30-40 times as much information as what you will ultimately receive in this thread.

Top schools want things that are difficult for us all to know exactly. However, high grades and MCAT scores are a typical start. In addition, they pride themselves on training future leaders, and thus you need to show this. Perhaps you show it by excelling in an activity of personal interest (ballet, violin, basketweaving) that shows you have a "winner" mentality. Perhaps you show it by becoming involved long term in a leadership capacity in various projects and activities. This shows that you are regarded as a leader by your peers--as they hope you will also be regarded when you are an accomplished doctor brandishing their name about. Perhaps you show your

Most top schools seek students who are intelligent and have the intellectual capacity to break new ground in research (or perhaps even policy). Participating (and excelling) in research is often a common demonstration of this intellectual curiosity and initiative. However, they also want students that have a commitment to advancing society as a whole, especially those that are the weakest in our society. Thus, they will value students that show a commitment to helping out the downtrodden in society and getting involved on a serious level.

Trying to predict which elements are most important to each school is difficult. However, a good principle to use is simply to know that they look for excellence. Thus, if you are volunteering, do you just volunteer at a hospital for a few months, or do you organize drives, raise money, recruit volunteers, and try to make a sizeable impact about a cause you care about? Do you just research for a summer, or do you research for multiple semesters, presenting your work at conferences and perhaps even being published? Do you join a bunch of clubs and maybe pick up a few leadership positions, or do you commit to a few long term and produce important advances and results as a result of your leadership? The cookie-cutter stuff is cookie-cutter, and these schools are looking for students that don't just participate in a lot of stuff, but excel at them.

What do you bring that is unique to the table? Because they certainly have their pick of 22 year olds with 1.5 years of research, a couple leadership gigs, a semester or two of volunteering, and a high GPA/MCAT. That'll get you into a medical school for sure, but it won't turn any heads at the top.

...but at the end of the day, what do we know? We're just students.

The med schools that have said they won't accept community college credits do not follow a pattern where the higher ranked ones say no, and the lower tier says yes. Some of the CC rejecters are bottom tier. People have reported here getting into Harvard, Yale and Hopkins with CC credits.

The profiles that get into the top 10 are the same as the average profile that gets in, but with more of everything. Take the average profile that gets in, and multiply it by 1.5, and that is the profile that gets into the top 10.

For every tier, cookie-cutter applicants get in. The idea that you need to come up with a creative, unique or personal way to not be a cookie-cutter applicant is not true.

If you took a "cookie-cutter" activity and multiplied it by 1.5, so to speak, you are no longer being cookie-cutter. For example, almost everyone has a semester or two of research. That's cookie-cutter. Publishing your research and presenting at international conferences...that's not cookie-cutter. You will not get into a top school doing cookie-cutter activities. Once you've taken a previously cookie-cutter activity and turned it into a display of excellence, you are no longer doing a cookie-cutter activity. You are now being unique.

The idea that you need to come up with a creative, unique or personal way to not be a cookie-cutter applicant is not true.

Agreed. I think it's okay to do the cookie-cutter things, but to do them on a higher level. Everyone does research, but how many actually design and carry out their own ethics-approved study? Everyone has community service, but how many create and lead new programs to meet the needs of their community? All this to say, I think there's a certain focus on being "unique" that I haven't encountered myself through meeting other applicants.

ETA: Just saw the above post now -- I suppose there is some confusion on what the term "cookie cutter" means. But in any case, I think schools are very much looking not only for accomplishments but for an overall attitude towards approaching things. If you want a "leader", you're not necessarily looking for just the head of your local premed chapter. You're looking for people who hopefully have a certain motivation to take things further in every domain of their work.

Here's an example of of someone who got into a top 10 medical school from a few years ago.
This young man came over to the US at 16 from south east asia. He and his family were destitute and lived in the ghetto in a large US city with family. Think 8 people in 2 bedrooms. He learned English here while in an urban public high school while working to support his parents and sibling. Off to community college, paid for by his full time job. 2 years 4.0. Transferred to great state school. Continued to work full time, nights and weekends, got a partial scholarship from the school and his church. 3 years double major 4.0. Not 3.98, 4.0. While in school, he started a charity drive for his oppressed village in Asia. Over 5 years it went from a club at his old community college to a foundation with heavy hitter support raising several hundred thousand dollars for food, vitamins and basic supplies for the entire country. MCAT was high 30's.
Result- full ride including living expenses to one of the best medical schools in the world.
He went from being a non English speaking destitute asian village teenager with no future to an inspiring pillar of the community with the world as his oyster in 5 years. Think about that.
100% true.
That's the competition at the top of the 1% club. It's not the norm, but when you're shooting for the stars the competition is extraordinary.
This guy will be a superstar, he already is.

In comparison to this guy, I feel like I crawled out of the gutter somewhere.. lol

I agree with the other posters who say that you don't need to be ultra-unique to be considered and accepted by "top" medical schools. You definitely need to excel at something and being able to bring in some interesting life experiences is definitely a plus. I would say that having truly great LORs is one of the more important things apart from GPA/MCAT.
I don't think I would get in now myself.;) Things were so much easier, and cheaper, ~20 years ago.

Last edited:
Where did this student end up going to? He should almost be a resident now? :)

It's one of those schools that most people would gladly go 2-300k in debt to attend. Top 10 now, then, and probably forever. A school that everyone would know.
He should be interviewing for residency now. I don't know how he's doing as I am no longer on the faculty.

Here's an example of of someone who got into a top 10 medical school from a few years ago.
This young man came over to the US at 16 from south east asia. He and his family were destitute and lived in the ghetto in a large US city with family. Think 8 people in 2 bedrooms. He learned English here while in an urban public high school while working to support his parents and sibling. Off to community college, paid for by his full time job. 2 years 4.0. Transferred to great state school. Continued to work full time, nights and weekends, got a partial scholarship from the school and his church. 3 years double major 4.0. Not 3.98, 4.0. While in school, he started a charity drive for his oppressed village in Asia. Over 5 years it went from a club at his old community college to a foundation with heavy hitter support raising several hundred thousand dollars for food, vitamins and basic supplies for the entire country. MCAT was high 30's.
Result- full ride including living expenses to one of the best medical schools in the world.
He went from being a non English speaking destitute asian village teenager with no future to an inspiring pillar of the community with the world as his oyster in 5 years. Think about that.
100% true.
That's the competition at the top of the 1% club. It's not the norm, but when you're shooting for the stars the competition is extraordinary.

Man do I feel boring and ordinary now lol. I suppose its safe to say I'm not necessarily shooting that high but I have defiantly found this all interesting. Even if the small opportunity gave me a chance to a top tier medical school...I would still have the problem of money, but I never had to experience the hardship of that dude so I would say he well deserves his full ride to medical school. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
They look for exceptional students. 4.0 GPA =/= exceptional. 34 MCAT =/= exceptional. Basic research =/= exceptional. Basic leadership (eg being an officer in an honor society) or other "standard" ECs =/= exceptional. Very high MCAT, being published in notable journals, pulling in large grants, extraordinary ECs, etc. all will set you apart.

With that said, unless you have a specific reason you want to attend a top program, like want to get into academic medicine, or you have grand plans for research, you should really rethink your reasoning for wanting to go to a top school. Ego stroking is not a good reason to shoot for a top 10 program.

Edit: I also think that your undergrad institution plays a role. One thing that was pretty obvious at the interviews at "top" medical schools is that the majority (I would say 70-80%) of interviewees come from ivy leagues. Usually there would only be one or two other people apart from me who didn't come from a ivy league background (and even then the non-ivy school list wasn't too shabby).
That's really interesting, because my experience has been the opposite. Most of the people I've interviewed with have been from public schools. Even at HMS, I'd say there were only one or two people from Ivy League schools on my date.

I was the only public university student on my day. I think the round-table introductions went something like:

Harvard
MIT
Stanford
Dartmouth
Yale
NYU
Public University
Small private LAC

Yeah, that'd have dispelled my visions of traipsing through the quad with my HMS white coat next year pretty quickly. Though I will say that all of the Ivy League applicants I've met have been amazing and friendly.

I think people are overselling this to a large degree. Students at top 10 schools aren't any different than other med students as a whole, although the overall level of proficiency may be a bit higher. I think the bigger differences are in training between schools. That being said, by far the most impressive med students I've worked with were at a top 5 program that I rotated at.

Someone who stands out in a good way. Have you done something extraoridinary in research, community service, music, performance, sports, etc? What can you contribute to the medical school class? How can you compliment your future classmates and how do you fit into the schools overall goals? Plus of course all of the prerequisites.

...That being said, by far the most impressive med students I've worked with were at a top 5 program that I rotated at.

I don't think the med school pedigree adds much to how impressive a doctor you will be. I've worked with some amazing folks from lower ranked places, and some pretty lousy doctors from very prestigious places, and vice versa. I think you guys give a bit too much credit to the med school for a battle that is largely won or lost at admissions.

In terms of what the top schools look for, they want good numbers, solid ECs, compelling essays, a great interview, decent research, and some aspect of the resume that has the "wow" factor. Really not much different than what other schools want. The only difference is that their prestige let's them pick first. It's basically like picking for a kickball team -- most teams want the same attributes, but only one gets to pick first. There is also the nebulous concept of "good fit" which shouldnt be underestimated. You can be perfect on paper, but there may be reasons a school still won't want you, ranging from not being enthusiastic enough at the interview to being the third applicant they saw who was a former navy seal and equestrian.

The short answer is that you put up the best numbers and ECs you can, be charming at the interview, and see what happens. The good news is that you might still get to end up at your target program again in residency or fellowship, which for career purposes is more important. Nobody will care where you went to med school if you did your "training" at a more prestigious place.

Med school name may seem important to you now, but a few years down the road it's meaningless, and everybody will focus on residency. And any US allo place will be a reasonable launching pad to get to the residency of your dreams. All it takes is crazy hard work and impressing a lot of attendings.

100% true.

Well, that's what they may be looking for, though they won't be able to fill the entire class with such super stars. Actually you should look at 90%tile of the students who get in rather than top 10%tile of the class if you are not a super star.

Last edited:
That's really interesting, because my experience has been the opposite. Most of the people I've interviewed with have been from public schools. Even at HMS, I'd say there were only one or two people from Ivy League schools on my date.

When I was interviewing last year, there were many cases where I was the only applicant not from an Ivy or other highly regarded institution. I think you lucked out.

One of the main things top med schools look at is the applicant's ability to hover above the ground using mental powers. A few of us in each group could always do it - during tours, we'd periodically float above the ground. Same thing in the interview room. There weren't many of us that could do it (maybe 15, 20%?) but it seemed to seal the deal.

I don't think the med school pedigree adds much to how impressive a doctor you will be. I've worked with some amazing folks from lower ranked places, and some pretty lousy doctors from very prestigious places, and vice versa. I think you guys give a bit too much credit to the med school for a battle that is largely won or lost at admissions.

In terms of what the top schools look for, they want good numbers, solid ECs, compelling essays, a great interview, decent research, and some aspect of the resume that has the "wow" factor. Really not much different than what other schools want. The only difference is that their prestige let's them pick first. It's basically like picking for a kickball team -- most teams want the same attributes, but only one gets to pick first. There is also the nebulous concept of "good fit" which shouldnt be underestimated. You can be perfect on paper, but there may be reasons a school still won't want you, ranging from not being enthusiastic enough at the interview to being the third applicant they saw who was a former navy seal and equestrian.

The short answer is that you put up the best numbers and ECs you can, be charming at the interview, and see what happens. The good news is that you might still get to end up at your target program again in residency or fellowship, which for career purposes is more important. Nobody will care where you went to med school if you did your "training" at a more prestigious place.

Med school name may seem important to you now, but a few years down the road it's meaningless, and everybody will focus on residency. And any US allo place will be a reasonable launching pad to get to the residency of your dreams. All it takes is crazy hard work and impressing a lot of attendings.

This is true. In the end, all practicing physicians are paid equally by insurance companies and patients could care less where you went if you're well-respected in a particular community. (However, if you're dead-set on an academic career, it might be a good idea to go to the very best medical school that admits you.)

Well, that's what they may be looking for, though they won't be able to fill the entire class with such super stars. Actually you should look at 90%tile of the students who get in rather than top 10%tile of the class if you are not a super star.

I think you'd be surprised how many amazing students there are at top schools. Even students who fail to graduate with honors still have drool-worthy resumes. I believe schools admit on their prediction of how much of a superstar you'll be in the future--if you have the personality traits that will lead to renown not only for yourself but also for the school.

Last edited:
Baylor IS a highly regarded institution, NickNaylor.

err...yep.

In Texas, Baylor has a "good" (and I use that loosely) reputation because it rides off of the reputation of the Baylor healthcare system and BMC. It's affiliated with neither. Outside of Texas, everyone thinks Baylor and BMC are under the same institutional umbrella. I had to explain the difference nearly every time someone found out I went to Baylor.

As an alum, I can say quite confidently that it certainly isn't deserving of any sort of great reputation. But it doesn't even have that to begin with.

One of the main things top med schools look at is the applicant's ability to hover above the ground using mental powers. A few of us in each group could always do it - during tours, we'd periodically float above the ground. Same thing in the interview room. There weren't many of us that could do it (maybe 15, 20%?) but it seemed to seal the deal.

I'M DYING! This is the funniest thing I've read on SDN. :laugh:

I'M DYING! This is the funniest thing I've read on SDN. :laugh:

:laugh: Was going to comment on the bumping of a two year old thread but lol'd too hard to even care.

You need great stats to begin with i.e. 3.7+ GPA/35+ MCAT for starters. I don't know how top schools will look at your CC credits--I am guessing not too fondly. But at least you haven't taken any pre-reqs yet...and i wouldn't until you transfer over to a 4 year institution! So transfer over to 4 year school, start taking pre-reqs and see how things go. I almost feel like you are jumping the gun here with having this desire to attend a "top" med school. You are at a CC and haven't taken any pre-reqs yet. So your 4.0 is almost irrelevant. I am not doubting you at all, but once you start taking the pre-reqs and these classes typically run averages in the 50's-LOW 60's you will get a good idea of if you are med school material, never mind top med schools. Best of luck!:thumbup:

I wonder what happened to varsity blue. She was truly the biggest gunner ever

100% true.

That's a very skewed and highly inaccurate description of the competition at the top 1% club.

My school sends several students to top schools every year consisently. Not just 1 or 2, but regularly 15 out of 170 or so applicants are accepted to Harvard alone every year. And many more to other top schools.

They rarely have anything near what you described and this is probably by far the extreme exception.

It sounds like a nice sound bite to describe the guy. But most acceptees to top schools are cookie cutter: 3.7-3.8+, 35+, published research, normal extracurriculars etc. So OP please don't believe you have to be like that guy to be admitted.

Signifier, you are my hero

Thanks for bumping this 1.5-year old thread to make the announcement. Signifier was sleepless for many nights, dying to know what you think.of him/her. I'll convey the good news.