what goes into a LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullishMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts?

LOI = letter of interest

why you want to go to the school...anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it take away from the LOI if it's sent through e-mail as opposed to regular mail, or are they considered equivalent.

(this is my personal opinion)
At this point in the admissions cycle, LOIs are essentially worthless. It's easy to come up with some reasons you like the school. Until you've interviewed, you can't adequately speak to WHY you want to go to the school compared to any other school, which is what you need to be able to say. LOIs must be strongly worded without being hyperbole, which is of course tricky.

And never, ever, ever email anything important to a medical school. Mail that sucker. And use decent paper and sign the thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Letters of interest after secondaries are in aren't going to help you very much; at least I assume you mean post-secondary. It's good to keep the adcoms informed if anything major happens (i.e. you win a nobel prize, researcher of the year, change your address), and it's always best to send info via snail mail. I've also heard of letters of Intent; letters sent to a med school you receive an acceptance from that you intend on entrance. For right now you've got to wait, and for me that's the hardest part about admissions. You do everything at 100mph getting all your LORs, essays, stats, mcats on file and then you hear absolutely nothing for ~3 months.

You do everything at 100mph getting all your LORs, essays, stats, mcats on file and then you hear absolutely nothing for ~3 months.

This is the most accurate statement on SDN about the admissions cycle that I've heard in recent months. :thumbup: patience, young grasshoppers.

I've also heard of letters of Intent; letters sent to a med school you receive an acceptance from that you intend on entrance.

I think a letter of intent is sent to a school that you have interviewed at but have not yet received an acceptance from.

If you have submitted your secondary to the school and haven't heard anything then don't send a letter of interest - its too soon.

If you've been put on hold for interview or something then it might be a good idea to send a letter of interest or appeal for interview.

Basically any information you can update them with (new jobs, promotions within current activities, new activities, major awards, etc). Then address some additional reasons why you fit their school and they fit your goals. Pretty simple, but make sure you have some information of substance to add to your file. If you really have nothing to add then don't bug them.

I think a letter of intent is sent to a school that you have interviewed at but have not yet received an acceptance from.

Eh its just semantics. But I think the general consensus around here is a letter of interest can be sent to multiple schools, a letter of intent is sent to one school that you know you would attend if accepted to and you say as much. Not very ethical to say that to multiple schools.

But you are right that they are usually sent after interview - not very smart to be telling a school you definitely want to go there when you haven't been to the interview yet. But emphasizing your interest before the interview is ok.

I'm sweating the interview phase when/if I get some hopefully. If I were interviewed right now, it would go something like this:

Interviewer: So, why do you want to come to this medical school?

Me: I don't know... It's close to home?

any thoughts?

LOI = letter of interest

why you want to go to the school...anything else?

"To whom it may concern:

Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.

Thank you.

Devoted Applicant.

P.S.> You are sunshine dipped in love."