what goes up must come down???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xdianaax

In memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So looking at these scores, and reading numerous threads and posts about how competitive last cycle was, has anyone heard anything about it becoming a little easier??? I mean honestly, how much higher can it get??? I just want to know what you guys think. I personally think it's going to reach it's high soon, and then level off, maybe slip a little. Any thoughts????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So looking at these scores, and reading numerous threads and posts about how competitive last cycle was, has anyone heard anything about it becoming a little easier??? I mean honestly, how much higher can it get??? I just want to know what you guys think. I personally think it's going to reach it's high soon, and then level off, maybe slip a little. Any thoughts????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Haha... don't get your hopes up. Dentistry is becoming more and more popular everwhere = more competitive

med school stats are still higher, so there's still room for going up. In certain countries in europe for example, dentistry is now more competitive than medicine. we could be seeing things move in that direction.

you really need to push for the best you can be as an applicant and hope it's good enough. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, the pendulum has to swing the other direction, but I get the impression we still have a few more years before things even peak.

I've always told my friends that 2010 will be the peak year. Let's wait and see.

I think that saying only works for things like the stock market, prices, and men's private parts.

LOL, that's funny. No but seriously the reason I say it was because every year i hear this was the most competitive cycle...so how much MORE competitive can it get??? And plus i have a good friend that's in good with admissions, and they're suspecting that it is going to level off soon, they think the scores they're seeing are getting to the highest they can possibly be. My stats aren't horrible or anything, I have a good gpa but I have yet to take my DAT. He also told me that no matter how competitive it gets that they dont always want all perfect students, they want well rounded students. So i guess there will always be hope...i hope....lol

you'll be fine

The trends of competitive/not competitive are always around. They go up and down. Dentistry will always be a great career, but going into it will not always be hot.

Study hard and you won't have to worry about it:D

Healthcare is a pretty hot area whichever you do, whether dentistry, medicine, pharmacy, podiatry, etc. Overall, it has the best paying jobs with additional benefit of "helping" others, and will remain competitive each year (w/ some +- of course), assuming no changes in our healthcare system. The quality of the dental school applicants this year is definitely pretty strong, especially SDN addicts:rolleyes: . Don't let us dissuade you. We are not representative of the applicant pool.

LOL, that's funny. No but seriously the reason I say it was because every year i hear this was the most competitive cycle...so how much MORE competitive can it get??? And plus i have a good friend that's in good with admissions, and they're suspecting that it is going to level off soon, they think the scores they're seeing are getting to the highest they can possibly be. My stats aren't horrible or anything, I have a good gpa but I have yet to take my DAT. He also told me that no matter how competitive it gets that they dont always want all perfect students, they want well rounded students. So i guess there will always be hope...i hope....lol

overachievers tend to whine a lot. SDNers are overachievers, therefore they whine all the time.
Every year SDNers are crying about how things are going to be 100x tougher this year, but things don't change that fast. Yes it is more competitive but it is not "dramatically" more competitive. If you look at the trend for the people who got accepted for the past 3 yrs, their GPAs and their DATs do not increase that much. Buy that ADA handbook and see it for yourself. By the way, you should have that book because it is important.

thank you guys, i'm feeling better...lol...as for this ADA handbook, I kind of wanted to wait till the 2007 comes out, does anyone know when that is? Thanks a million!!!

Unfortunately the laws of physics don't apply to the dental school admissions process...and there will be times when it feels like the Geneva Convention doesn't apply either.

Just 4-7 years ago, was the end of a downswing in the # of apps, we're in an upswing now and that doesn't always change so quickly. Remember, in the 70s, there was a peak of over 15,000 applicants for about 4,750 spots. True...several schools closed in the 80's dropping the # of spots available to just under 4000 and that number has risen again in the last few years with new school opening, but we're not even close to 15,000 applicants a year yet, so there is precedence for more applicants still.