What GPA is considered safe GPA for dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJAAJA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What overall GPA and science gpa are good enough from undergrad that don't need post bacc or master?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I would say the average for matriculating students or above. So, somewhere 3.5 - 3.6.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your DAT and ECs are good I would say that you shouldn't consider a masters 3.3 and above. Then again there are always exceptions. I know someone who got into school with a 2.9 science, 3.1 overall, and a 20 DAT who did not do a masters or post bacc.

It all depends on your application. I know someone with 3.3 gpa and 17 AA got into one in missouri. But again, I know a person with 3.6 and 20 AA who did not get in

yeah if you have a 3.5-3.6, you definitely don't need a postbacc, and if someone doesn't get in with that GPA, its most likely due to other aspects of their application. But a lot of people also get in with GPAs lower than that, especially if they have high DAT scores.

yeah if you have a 3.5-3.6, you definitely don't need a postbacc, and if someone doesn't get in with that GPA, its most likely due to other aspects of their application. But a lot of people also get in with GPAs lower than that, especially if they have high DAT scores.
It all depends on your application. I know someone with 3.3 gpa and 17 AA got into one in missouri. But again, I know a person with 3.6 and 20 AA who did not get in

Does certain ethnicity have to have higher gpa than others because its majority? Does Asian have to get higher gpa than others?

Does certain ethnicity have to have higher gpa than others because its majority? Does Asian have to get higher gpa than others?
Some questions are head scratchers.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope what I said still applies for Asians, if you have a 3.5-3.6, you are considered to be academically qualified by most schools, other than Harvard, and what will separate you from the rest of the applicants is the rest of your application.

Honestly, I feel like its a crapshoot. I had a 3.25 overall GPA, but my science was just below 3.0. My DAT was a 20 AA, but my sciences were 22. I also worked for about 2 years in the dental field. So I think it depends on your application as a whole. Community outreach, letters, grades, DAT. It's a full culmination along with a strong personal statement. There is not just an exact number.