What GRE prep course should I use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sgeramy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am preparing for the next admission cycle and need to write the GRE.

I have a few months off now (i plan to take courses in the summer) and would like to make my main priority my GRE preperation.

I looked into options such as Kaplan and Magoosh but I was wondering what worked best for PTs or pre-PT students?

Members don't see this ad.

I did magoosh and I thought it was pretty good. The math section helped a lot but I didn’t like their verbal that much. Look up gregmat on YouTube. His videos are really good especially for verbal.

Reactions: 1 user
I bought the GRE set put out by ETS because they make the actual exam. I also used Magoosh for practicing vocab! Doing this, I felt very prepared. I had a Princeton Review book too, but with the other things I don’t think it was necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely Magoosh! I can't really comment on the quantitative section because I focused more on the verbal section. But just using the Magoosh GRE Vocab App, I memorized the definitions of all of the common and basic decks and was able to get a score of 157. I could have gotten in the 160+ range, but reading long, boring passages is not my strong suit :whistle:. Anyways, you should be fine using the Magoosh App and the ETS prep books. Just remember to push on through the boringness cause studying for the GRE is quite the arduous task.

I bought the GRE set put out by ETS because they make the actual exam. I also used Magoosh for practicing vocab! Doing this, I felt very prepared. I had a Princeton Review book too, but with the other things I don’t think it was necessary.
Thanks for the advice! I did have it narrowed down between Princeton self study and magoosh. But how extensive was the ETS? Would it be better to choose magoosh and do ETS practice exams? Or is ETS good enough?

Definitely Magoosh! I can't really comment on the quantitative section because I focused more on the verbal section. But just using the Magoosh GRE Vocab App, I memorized the definitions of all of the common and basic decks and was able to get a score of 157. I could have gotten in the 160+ range, but reading long, boring passages is not my strong suit :whistle:. Anyways, you should be fine using the Magoosh App and the ETS prep books. Just remember to push on through the boringness cause studying for the GRE is quite the arduous task.
I just got the magoosh free trial. Thanks for the advice. I have it narrowed down between Princeton self study and magoosh but I might use some of the ETS material

Thanks for the advice! I did have it narrowed down between Princeton self study and magoosh. But how extensive was the ETS? Would it be better to choose magoosh and do ETS practice exams? Or is ETS good enough?
ETS was pretty extensive. I felt like it was definitely enough for what they covered and what was on the exact exam! It wasn’t pretty much identical, and ETS comes with online access codes so that you can practice online tests in the format of the actual GRE. I would still use the Magoosh app for verbal practice because it’s really good for memorizing vocab, but besides for that ETS is good!

So I am preparing for the next admission cycle and need to write the GRE.

I have a few months off now (i plan to take courses in the summer) and would like to make my main priority my GRE preperation.

I looked into options such as Kaplan and Magoosh but I was wondering what worked best for PTs or pre-PT students?

Hey there. I took the GRE prep provided by my school. It was put on by a person who consults (consulted) for ETS on their testing protocol and design. He gave us more tips and hints for time management and technique than formal instruction, which were helpful, but I found them not crucial. I found that taking the free POWERPREP exams provided by ETS were a really big help. They're virtually identical to the actual GRE test, and they walk you through what you got wrong at the end (for the V and Q only). I took the practice tests and got prettymuch the exact same score on test day, which were over 150 each. The written part was another matter ;).

Maybe take the practice tests and see wherer you might need to improve, if at all?

Good luck!

Magoosh was pretty sweet in my opinion. Get their flashcards app and just do an hour a day of that.