What happenes If you don't get accepted into any Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spaz0ut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, assuming you were planing on a 2+4 program, finished your second year, apply for 5 pharmacy schools, get rejected by them all (either by bad grades or bad luck), then what? Change fields? try again next year?

Just trying to plan my future for the worst :p

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering, assuming you were planing on a 2+4 program, finished your second year, apply for 5 pharmacy schools, get rejected by them all (either by bad grades or bad luck), then what? Change fields? try again next year?

What is YOUR back up plan? No one can really determine YOUR future or what YOU want to do... It's all up in the air. I'd say the chances of you applying to five schools and getting denied by all five is pretty slim. Your state school would at least consider you... if not accept you. When in doubt ADD more schools to the list so you DON'T get denied..... lol

Members don't see this ad :)
What is YOUR back up plan? No one can really determine YOUR future or what YOU want to do... It's all up in the air. I'd say the chances of you applying to five schools and getting denied by all five is pretty slim. Your state school would at least consider you... if not accept you. When in doubt ADD more schools to the list so you DON'T get denied..... lol
Well, I'm trying to plan my route out right now.
1st- Im trying plan my backup plan to fit in with my credits (prereqs for pharm school.) Don't know what yet...
2nd- My state school has no Pharmacy program.
3rd- I might not be able to afford sending 5+ admissions.

I'm kind of dealing with the same situation. Due to a ridiculous amount of general education requirements for one of my pharmacy schools (the school I'm at now; 85% accepted applicants are from my school, so its a priority to apply), I could only apply to 2 other schools.

As of now, if I am denied from both schools, I plan on either A. going one more year to take more pre-requisites and apply again, or B. earn a Bachelors degree and re-apply... I realize holding a degree makes an applicant much more competitive, but 2-3 years of Pre-pharm is definitely less time and money spent than 4...

Well, I'm trying to plan my route out right now.
1st- Im trying plan my backup plan to fit in with my credits (prereqs for pharm school.) Don't know what yet...
2nd- My state school has no Pharmacy program.
3rd- I might not be able to afford sending 5+ admissions.
1. What interests you. I know optometry has the same pre-reqs of pharmacy.... Maybe you could look into that? Of the five pharmacists I shadowed, one of them said he applied to opt. school & pharm and got accepted to pharm so it just so happened he became a pharmacist by default.

2. Okay... so a minor road bump... Look into your state having alliance programs with other states. I know a few schools have deals w/ other schools out of state where tuition is cheapened. UIC has one with UT (someone mentioned here in an earlier thread).

3. That's no prob. PharmCAS has a form so you can get 1 free app sent on their behalf (then you'll only have to pay for four ... that could be something to look into). You could also look into getting a sponsor to sponsor your app fees and airlines. Maybe a really philanthropic pharmacist who you've done a lot for or something?

1. What interests you. I know optometry has the same pre-reqs of pharmacy.... Maybe you could look into that? Of the five pharmacists I shadowed, one of them said he applied to opt. school & pharm and got accepted to pharm so it just so happened he became a pharmacist by default.

2. Okay... so a minor road bump... Look into your state having alliance programs with other states. I know a few schools have deals w/ other schools out of state where tuition is cheapened. UIC has one with UT (someone mentioned here in an earlier thread).

3. That's no prob. PharmCAS has a form so you can get 1 free app sent on their behalf (then you'll only have to pay for four ... that could be something to look into). You could also look into getting a sponsor to sponsor your app fees and airlines. Maybe a really philanthropic pharmacist who you've done a lot for or something?

k thanks for the info!

My back-up plan: I would stay in school and continue my education in the same area after confirming my strong desire for becoming a pharmacist. However, that's only because I would only be on the Stafford loan. Or I could work on trying to pursue a different profession within a similar field (where I already have my pre-req's completed from my previous years hopefully) so as to be able to LIVE (not reside but LIVE) and pay off my loan at the same time.

Also, I would keep everything from all my previous years of college education in anticipation of being denied from all pharmacy colleges that I applied to. This would be to learn what I did wrong and/or what went wrong so as to be prepared and not repeat the same mistakes or fall for the same potholes. I would transfer if I had an issue with the teaching staff or the school in general that directly or indirectly led to my denial.

I would certainly NOT take a break because I've come too far to take a break from school after I was denied from all of my options.

If worse comes to worse, I would salvage what I had and try to find a way to finish what I had already started and then move back into the working world (finish bachelors, finish pre-req's for future career and return to college in pharmacy or another area). I am someone who HAS to finish whatever I start or I can't function properly if it becomes a life-long lingering regret. Are you the same? Or can you let go of the past and live as it is feeling good about what happened? I would certainly make plans and preparations to come back to school if this was the case though. I want to become a pharmacist too much to not care and settle down if something like this were to happen to me. Personally, I'd regret it from the depths of my heart if I had a heart :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:! BUT I would plan to go back and erase that regret completely sometime in the future. :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks folks,

that's a practical issue! Applicants sometimes spent much money on applications and travelling for interview either.

If you are young, it might be ok. If youhave family and not young, it's tought. Any input here would be encouragement or a piece of advice

Thanks

Well my school of choice only had 2 years worth of prereqs, and my entire undergrad career I was unknowingly taking all sorts of extra classes because my current schools catalog is set up for a 3 and 1 program to go to our state school. I ended up figuring out at the beginning of this year that I would be able to apply this year (my 3rd year in undergrad) to my school of choice and I did and got in. My back up plan before then for next year if I didn't get in was to finish my bachelors and apply again. So my advice is if you dont get in this year...look at other classes that would look good to pharmacy schools (and also go TOWARDS a bachelors) and do a third year. Then apply after that year. If your trying to get into pharmacy school without spending the extra money to get a bachelors degree, then why not try the next year instead of giving up and assuming you HAVE to get the bachelors degree? Then, if you still don't get in at the third year, your already on the track to your bachelors degree, and once you get that you can apply again and probably by three tries surely if your a good candidate you will be accepted. :)

Take MCAT and try to get into Medical School :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)

doesn't seem statistically difficult to get into pharmacy school...

I would go back to school get more education have really good grades to begin with so that wouldn't be the reason the denied me,and then reapply until I got in or became a doctor.

2+4 is going to be difficult, especially if you are not at at school with a pharmacy school. I would personally not attempt this unless I was in a program that guarantees acceptance given certain grades (I'm thinking of a program like Purdue has) after two years.

2+4 is going to be difficult, especially if you are not at at school with a pharmacy school. I would personally not attempt this unless I was in a program that guarantees acceptance given certain grades (I'm thinking of a program like Purdue has) after two years.

I think you are mistaken about Purdue's program. The pre-pharmacy students are not guaranteed admissions if they have a certain gpa. The ADCOMs still look at the total package like leadership, volunteering, work experience and all that jazz. A person with a 3.9 and a 4.0 can still get rejected and there are true cases where people with a 4.0 got rejected while somebody else with a 3.4 got in.

2+4 is virtually impossible to accomplish today (and it will be completely impossible when the new pre-reqs start hitting all the schools in the next few years)

But to answer your question, I'd drown my sorrows in some beer for a night and come back fighting harder than ever.

I'm currently going for the 2+4 thing...I just had two interviews in the last month, and I'm waiting on the two PharmCAS schools to send out their invitations. 2+4 is, indeed, rather difficult, given that most schools are increasing their pre-requisite requirements. I came into my freshman year with so many AP credits that I was technically a sophomore academically, making the 2+4 possible and more attainable. I still had to go to summer school, and my course load this year has been ridiculous. I figure that if I don't get in to any schools this time around, I'm going to start taking classes to work towards a major of some sort (not sure in what field), and probably apply again next year. Many people re-apply, so it's not really a big deal if you don't get in the first time. I'd say just keep taking classes in what interests you as a back up plan if pharmacy school doesn't work out.
Yet, ultimately, it's up to you and what YOU want. Bravo for planning ahead though.

doesn't seem statistically difficult to get into pharmacy school...
pharmacy schools only take about 10% of all applicants...

2+4 is virtually impossible to accomplish today (and it will be completely impossible when the new pre-reqs start hitting all the schools in the next few years)

But to answer your question, I'd drown my sorrows in some beer for a night and come back fighting harder than ever.
really? virtually impossible? can someone confirm this so i can start applying for my truck driver license?

I love you phat... but come on. It is possible. I don't know any 2+4 applicants, however it is feasible if you stick to maybe a few schools plans and really etch out those pre-reqs. I'm on a 2+4 plan....... :idea: but I'm also taking 20 credits each semester and 11+ in the summers.... IT CAN BE DONE. But maybe I'm superwoman???? :p

EDIT: and this all ties back to schools considering 12 credits full time..... 12 credits is no where NEAR full time. An associates degree is typically 60+ credits. Well at Fall/Spring 2 semester/a yr rate, there's not way 12 x 4 is going to = an associates in 2 YEARS. lol.... that's why schools want to etch in people's minds that 12 credits is full time.... lllllol

Try more like AT LEAST 15 and you'll have the degree on time. hahaha

Last edited:
All I'm saying is that with many schools it is very very difficult to get pre-reqs done in 2 years. For instance say they require biochem?

You have to take 1 full year of gen chem and 1 full year of o chem before you can take biochem. Unless you have AP credits, that's not very likely.

Also, while trying try to cram in all of this, you have to maintain an extremely high GPA because most schools favor, or require, a 4 year degree.

And, as said, pre-reqs will becoming even greater in a few years. 5 years from now, it will be impossible to complete everything in two years.

If you're applying to multiple schools, they will have different pre-reqs you need to complete as well which further complicates things.

Finally, no pharmacy school considers 12 credits full time. That is the classification namely for financial aid. Pharmacy schools pretty much want you to maintain, a minimum, of 15 credits a semester during your career.

pharmacy schools only take about 10% of all applicants...

Source?

From what I've heard (talking to a few admissions offices) the biggest blanket cut made in the application cycle is eliminating the files that were never completed. For one school, they might receive 1,000 applications competing for 90 seats. They said that they remove a hefty chunk of them due to not finishing the pre-reqs (or being able to), not meeting a minimum GPA, PCAT score, etc.

So that 10% isn't entirely accurate. There's a lot of "fluff" due to people who opened an application but never completed it. Also keep in mind that people receive multiple acceptances. If 300 people interview, but only 90 get seats at school A, that's less than 30%. But if some of those 90 also got seats at school B and decided not to go to school A, then those poor souls on the waitlist are granted redemption and the percentages go up.

I love you phat... but come on. It is possible. I don't know any 2+4 applicants, however it is feasible if you stick to maybe a few schools plans and really etch out those pre-reqs. I'm on a 2+4 plan....... :idea: but I'm also taking 20 credits each semester and 11+ in the summers.... IT CAN BE DONE. But maybe I'm superwoman???? :p

EDIT: and this all ties back to schools considering 12 credits full time..... 12 credits is no where NEAR full time. An associates degree is typically 60+ credits. Well at Fall/Spring 2 semester/a yr rate, there's not way 12 x 4 is going to = an associates in 2 YEARS. lol.... that's why schools want to etch in people's minds that 12 credits is full time.... lllllol

Try more like AT LEAST 15 and you'll have the degree on time. hahaha

That only applies to lower division classes :rolleyes:, if you were to get to upper division classes your senior year of college or even graduate classes, you'd know that 12 units of those intense senior/graduate classes can be a death mill.

That only applies to lower division classes :rolleyes:, if you were to get to upper division classes your senior year of college or even graduate classes, you'd know that 12 units of those intense senior/graduate classes can be a death mill.

Correct, that's one of those things you don't realize when you start out. Its amazing how much time one 4 credit class can consume of your life.

All I'm saying is that with many schools it is very very difficult to get pre-reqs done in 2 years. For instance say they require biochem?

You have to take 1 full year of gen chem and 1 full year of o chem before you can take biochem. Unless you have AP credits, that's not very likely.
then its not a 2+4 year plan is it?

And, as said, pre-reqs will becoming even greater in a few years. 5 years from now, it will be impossible to complete everything in two years.
is this true? source?

Which is why he said that 2+4 is getting to be more difficult. A number of factors conspire to reduce the possibility of 2+4 being viable, elucidated above.

That's all he's sayin', broski.

is this true?

It is true if you consider the last two years or so of expansion of pre-requisites, although I slightly disagree with his premise in that I think the true death of the 2+4 will be the eventual requirement of a Bachelor's degree. Many schools, especially in CA, but also elsewhere, virtually require it (With more than 50% of matriculants with them, closer to 99% in California) and that's a trend that will continue to be upward, instead of reversing, as that's the direction progress goes.

Last edited:

It is if you're maxing out your course-load. If you take AT LEAST 15 hours each semester (but probably more) + summer courses + accelerated courses (we have May-mester and winter break short courses), it's possible to get the work done for some schools. Of course, as mentioned above, some schools require more pre-reqs than others.

Some Texas medical schools require Biochem I, but the public pharmacy schools don't. Since it's a junior level course, it'd probably be hard to get it done in the 2 year window (summer after sophomore year would probably be best). But if you don't need any junior level courses, you can probably get things done in the 2+4 time frame.

Edit: what the guy above me said :cool:

My advice? Here are a few options:
-See if there is a school whose deadline hasn't past yet, and apply there
-Improve your application and try again next year (join clubs, volunteer, get pharmacy experience if you don't have some already)
-Reevaluate the reasons you want to be a pharmacist. If you still have the determination to do it, it will be there next year.

It is true if you consider the last two years or so of expansion of pre-requisites, although I slightly disagree with his premise in that I think the true death of the 2+4 will be the eventual requirement of a Bachelor's degree. Many schools, especially in CA, but also elsewhere, virtually require it (With more than 50% of matriculants with them, closer to 99% in California) and that's a trend that will continue to be upward, instead of reversing, as that's the direction progress goes.

It will actually be the combination of both. I talked with the dean of two of the schools I'm applying to, quite in depth, about this during my interviews. They both said that they're anticipating adding several more pre-req classes in order to increase the amount of pharmacy material you learn in school.

2+4 will be dead in five years, I can promise you that. Hell it's almost dead now, but I do give props for the people who can pull it off today.

2+4 will be dead in five years, I can promise you that. Hell it's almost dead now, but I do give props for the people who can pull it off today.
you, sir, have successfully destroyed my hopes and dreams :(

btw did you know that the average truck driver salary is 30k? but you won't have to worry about house mortgages because you won't need a house:D!

btw did you know that the average truck driver salary is 30k? but you won't have to worry about house mortgages because you won't need a house:D!

How have I destroyed your hopes and dreams? You'll be a better all around student the more undergrad you have.

If you're that impatient on getting into pharmacy school, you probably need to reevaluate things a bit.

And if you're a truck driver, you get a wicked cool hat and truckers tan!

It will actually be the combination of both. I talked with the dean of two of the schools I'm applying to, quite in depth, about this during my interviews. They both said that they're anticipating adding several more pre-req classes in order to increase the amount of pharmacy material you learn in school.

Sure, I mean, it's a natural progression of things. Once everyone is out of "shortage mode" and starts looking more at quality and how to make the process harder, it's the only way to go. It certainly won't be getting any easier!

Sure, I mean, it's a natural progression of things. Once everyone is out of "shortage mode" and starts looking more at quality and how to make the process harder, it's the only way to go. It certainly won't be getting any easier!

They're not trying to make the process harder, its that there is a growing amount of material that they want to be covered and that they know will need to be covered.

The curriculum of pharmacy school ten years ago will not mirror the one we see. The same could not be said for medical school, dental school, etc.

One of the interesting aspects of pharmacy, its still changing.

Dammit, I'm supposed to be the one destroying dreams around here.

btw did you know that the average truck driver salary is 30k?

Well above the poverty line. For everyone but us folks with six-figures in our eyes, 30 thou isn't that bad.

I think you are mistaken about Purdue's program. The pre-pharmacy students are not guaranteed admissions if they have a certain gpa. The ADCOMs still look at the total package like leadership, volunteering, work experience and all that jazz. A person with a 3.9 and a 4.0 can still get rejected and there are true cases where people with a 4.0 got rejected while somebody else with a 3.4 got in.

Fair enough. UIC has a GPPA program which does guarantee admission given certain GPA, etc (and completion of a BS degree), I assumed Purdue had something similar.

If I don't get into pharmacy the first time, I will just try again. If it doesn't happen, I will try medical school. If that doesn't happen, I will go for physical therapy!

please, with the amount of pharmacy schools that are opening up 2+4 will never die. I thought that way when I first started my 2+4 school....4 years ago..and look nothing has changed.

one thing you learn in pharm school is Pharmacy bureaucracy moves slow. It took a bazillion years just for the pharmacy boards in pa...to allow needles to be bought without rx.

Fair enough. UIC has a GPPA program which does guarantee admission given certain GPA, etc (and completion of a BS degree), I assumed Purdue had something similar.

actually no. they don't. I think you are thinking about Butler University..or a school such as that.

actually no. they don't. I think you are thinking about Butler University..or a school such as that.

Nope.

http://www.uic.edu/ucat/catalog/PM.shtml#g

Read under "Guaranteed Professional Program Admissions (GPPA)"

Guaranteed Professional Program Admissions (GPPA) The GPPA gives highly motivated and academically outstanding senior high school students an opportunity to be guaranteed admission into the College of Pharmacy. Students must demonstrate superior academic performance prior to their application and continued academic success prior to enrollment in the College of Pharmacy.
Students must meet the following minimum requirements to be considered for GPPA pharmacy admission:a

• have a minimum ACT composite score of 28 or SAT score of 1240;
  • rank in the top 15% of the high school class; and,
  • agree to meet College of Pharmacy Conditions of Acceptance.
College of Pharmacy GPPA Conditions of Acceptanceb
Students must:

• earn a baccalaureate degree at UIC prior to entry into the College of Pharmacy [Students may choose to apply to the College of Pharmacy with-out completing a baccalaureate degree, but forfeit their GPPA status when doing so.];
  • complete pre-pharmacy course work at the University of Illinois at Chicago within five years from the beginning of the freshman year;
  • complete a minimum of 12 semester hours each term;
  • receive a grade of C or better in every prerequisite course [Courses in which a grade below C is obtained must be retaken. Both grades will be used in the GPA calculation.];
  • achieve a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.50/4.00 to remain in the GPPA pharmacy program [Students who achieve a first-semester GPA below 3.50 and at/above 3.25 will be put on probation and given until the end of the semester to raise their cumulative GPA to 3.50.]; and
  • complete all pre-pharmacy course work by the spring semester of the year of matriculation into the college [i.e., no prerequisite courses taken during the summer prior to matriculation into the college will be accepted.]
In addition, students must:

• enroll in the Honors College and fulfill all requirements for continued membership;
  • take the Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT) and submit scores to UIC by December of the year prior to matriculation into the college [These scores are used for evaluation and tracking purposes.]; and,
  • complete an application into the College of Pharmacy prior to the year of matriculation using the PharmCAS and supplemental applications.
Every semester, students must:

• request that transcripts be sent to the Office of Student Affairs, College of Pharmacy, including for summer sessions [Transcripts should be directed to the attention of the GPPA Coordinator, College of Pharmacy MC 874.]; and,
  • meet with a College of Pharmacy admissions counselor or the GPPA coordinator to discuss progress.
Upon satisfactory completion of these conditions and all College of Pharmacy requirements, a seat will be reserved at the UIC College of Pharmacy’s Chicago campus. Requests to attend the UIC College of Pharmacy’s Rockford campus will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis in the academic year prior to matriculation.

Here's my advice.

Be a McDonald's manager.

Why?

Because when you see a pharmacist come in to order a big mac, you will get that thing out ASAP, because you know how important their job is.

If you seriously do not have any back up plans what so ever, you can try swimming with the fishes in the ocean and build your super empire to conquer the land.