What happens if you do bad on the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bottlecap1990

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
but you have a GPA of 3.5 or above?
Do you still have a chance of getting into pharmacy school? I have taken Gen Chem I, II and Bio I. I am planning on taking the PCAT in January after taking Bio II and Orgo I in the fall. After looking at practice tests for Dr. Collins I felt like I am not going to do well. There are so many questions there that I have no idea how to do. I feel like my chem teachers did not go into great detail.
Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

If you do bad, then you won't get in pharmacy school. If you do good, then you may or may not get in pharmacy school. Retake it.

This isn't even close to being true. Not every school requires the PCAT and even some of the ones that do don't count it very highly. To say that if you do bad, you won't get into pharmacy school without any qualifiers is just bad advice. That said, obviously a high PCAT is preferable to a low PCAT. Some schools have cut-offs and some school emphasize the PCAT.

To the OP, you have time to correct your areas of weakness. If your profs didn't prepare you well enough you have to go out and learn it on your own. I suggest getting your chem text and doing the problems at the end of the chapters. Do it multiple times if necessary if that is what it takes to get comfortable. When you see a question on the PCAT, you want to be able to know how to attack it without having to think about it. The math on the chem section is super easy so the hard part is knowing how to set up the problems.