What have changed since this thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrisPDentDream

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read mostly all the comments about this thread : 37 reasons not to be a military dentist
37 reason not to be a military dentist.

It has been 13 years since then. What are the changes? I always liked the military life but at the same time I don't want to be feel like crap and regretting why I chose that.

Also, I haven't applied to the HPSP scholarship yet but in case I don't get accepted I don't have any problems having a huge loan but if I can avoid well great!.
Let me know your opinions. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I just skimmed it but here is what I gathered. The military isn't for everyone (obviously).
#1-6 It's deployment... what were you expecting? It's monotonous, not glamorous, but honestly some of my fondest memories are during deployment.
#8 HPSP is ABSOLUTLY worth it 1000% with the costs of schooling now plus the 20K sign on for 4 year contracts.
#10 For HPSP it doesn't count, HSCP it does, but wouldn't recommend unless you had prior years. It would be nice to have some more money each month, but whatever, you didn't join to make a crap ton. Most dentists don't stay for 20+ anyways so your really not missing too much there.
#17 You get 30 days of leave a year and you might be out at sea/deployed. No you can't take it all at once, but I have never had an issue until recently with COVID.
#18 Not true, Every Navy dentist that has a spouse(that I know) who is also dentist also works in their field. Don't expect buying a practice.
#19 is just stupid. Suck it up for 4 years and get out thankful you have no debt, oh and you have the GI bill now.
#21 Funny how getting Tricare for life and a paycheck every month for the rest of your life isn't a good retirement?? You can retire at 20 years, be 48 y/o and get 60+K a year. You could even put into TSP or invest in other means and be fine.... or don't and go fishing with your 60+K salary.
#24 I know lots of people that buy a home and then rent it out for passive income after they move.

Honestly, I cant read this anymore. Some of OP points are true, some are exaggerated. I'm getting out after 6 years and only one deployment. Overall my experience was well worth it. Dude must have had it really rough when he/she was in.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I just skimmed it but here is what I gathered. The military isn't for everyone (obviously).
#1-6 It's deployment... what were you expecting? It's monotonous, not glamorous, but honestly some of my fondest memories are during deployment.
#8 HPSP is ABSOLUTLY worth it 1000% with the costs of schooling now plus the 20K sign on for 4 year contracts.
#10 For HPSP it doesn't count, HSCP it does, but wouldn't recommend unless you had prior years. It would be nice to have some more money each month, but whatever, you didn't join to make a crap ton. Most dentists don't stay for 20+ anyways so your really not missing too much there.
#17 You get 30 days of leave a year and you might be out at sea/deployed. No you can't take it all at once, but I have never had an issue until recently with COVID.
#18 Not true, Every Navy dentist that has a spouse(that I know) who is also dentist also works in their field. Don't expect buying a practice.
#19 is just stupid. Suck it up for 4 years and get out thankful you have no debt, oh and you have the GI bill now.
#21 Funny how getting Tricare for life and a paycheck every month for the rest of your life isn't a good retirement?? You can retire at 20 years, be 48 y/o and get 60+K a year. You could even put into TSP or invest in other means and be fine.... or don't and go fishing with your 60+K salary.
#24 I know lots of people that buy a home and then rent it out for passive income after they move.

Honestly, I cant read this anymore. Some of OP points are true, some are exaggerated. I'm getting out after 6 years and only one deployment. Overall my experience was well worth it. Dude must have had it really rough when he/she was in.
So I'm married if I get deployed will my wife go with me? Where did you get deployed to?. So you had to serve for 6 years, are you planning to open your own practice? Thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm married if I get deployed will my wife go with me? Where did you get deployed to?. So you had to serve for 6 years, are you planning to open your own practice? Thanks for your response.
No your wife will not go with you. You can be stationed overseas. There is a chance your family can come, but that is not a deployment. You go where needed and very dependent on the branch, but Middle East most likely. I am going to civilian residency to specialize.

Reactions: 1 user
When you say there is a chance your family will come do you mean when you get assigned a new location (I was told they are for 3 years if married) it is possible your spouse will not be able to come for the entire 3 years?