What I did to score well on the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tofufob

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as a disclaimer, I will not post my scores. This is out of courtesy to those of you who wouldn't want to know. And I agree, as competitive as pre-health students can be, it may not be beneficial to know how well others did. It would only put unnecessary pressure on yourself.

Now, here's what I did, keep in mind that it should just be a reference to you. Everyone studies differently.

Even before step 1, I would suggest you call ADA.org and sign up for a test day. It is to your benefit that you work towards a certain deadline. Dont think you'll just take it when you are ready, the truth is, most people will never feel "ready." You just have to do it.

1. I gathered all the practice tests and questions I have.
2. Made a check list of all the tests and questions I have to go through before the test day. And I estimated how much time I would need to go through them at least twice.
3. I knew I had 3 months. I used the first 3 weeks to go through the ENTIRE kaplan review notes by figuring out how many sections I had to go through every day. To avoid anxiety and jumping between subjects, I followed Kaplan's class syllabus faithfully.
4. In the process of reading, I also started bugging instructors about the questions I had and memorizing stuff I was rusty on or felt was important.
5. By the 2nd month, I had a 70% solid understanding of the material. I started going over practice tests and timed myself everytime I did a full-length.
6. Spent about the same amount of time if not more reviewing the full-lengths. I made sure I knew exactly what I got wrong except for reading comp.
7. The 1st half of the 3rd month, I read the review notes one more time to make sure I get all the nitty greedy detail.
8. Went over some practice tests that I thought were the most difficult for the 3rd time.
9. Relax and did nothing on the very last day before the test.

Throughout the whole time, I ate as healthy as I could and exercised regularly.

I really feel I've explained all I could to you. I guess the best suggestion I could give you is to maintain focused and disciplined. Dont let fear overcome you. Just think that if there can be a dentist located every other block in LA and NYC, you can defintely hop on the band wagon too! AND STAY HEALTHY! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Good post, remaining healthy is a big part of your studies. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
tofufob said:
Just as a disclaimer, I will not post my scores. This is out of courtesy to those of you who wouldn't want to know. And I agree, as competitive as pre-health students can be, it may not be beneficial to know how well others did. It would only put unnecessary pressure on yourself.

Now, here's what I did, keep in mind that it should just be a reference to you. Everyone studies differently.

Even before step 1, I would suggest you call ADA.org and sign up for a test day. It is to your benefit that you work towards a certain deadline. Dont think you'll just take it when you are ready, the truth is, most people will never feel "ready." You just have to do it.

1. I gathered all the practice tests and questions I have.
2. Made a check list of all the tests and questions I have to go through before the test day. And I estimated how much time I would need to go through them at least twice.
3. I knew I had 3 months. I used the first 3 weeks to go through the ENTIRE kaplan review notes by figuring out how many sections I had to go through every day. To avoid anxiety and jumping between subjects, I followed Kaplan's class syllabus faithfully.
4. In the process of reading, I also started bugging instructors about the questions I had and memorizing stuff I was rusty on or felt was important.
5. By the 2nd month, I had a 70% solid understanding of the material. I started going over practice tests and timed myself everytime I did a full-length.
6. Spent about the same amount of time if not more reviewing the full-lengths. I made sure I knew exactly what I got wrong except for reading comp.
7. The 1st half of the 3rd month, I read the review notes one more time to make sure I get all the nitty greedy detail.
8. Went over some practice tests that I thought were the most difficult for the 3rd time.
9. Relax and did nothing on the very last day before the test.

Throughout the whole time, I ate as healthy as I could and exercised regularly.

I really feel I've explained all I could to you. I guess the best suggestion I could give you is to maintain focused and disciplined. Dont let fear overcome you. Just think that if there can be a dentist located every other block in LA and NYC, you can defintely hop on the band wagon too! AND STAY HEALTHY! :thumbup:

Sorry but I honestly dont believe you.

Ask me what I did 2-3 months ago and you will get a big I HAVE NO IDEA.

3 months of studying for this simple test? Thats crazy. Study 1.5 at most. AT MOST.

study 3 and you wont remember what you learned the first.

dental poopie said:
Sorry but I honestly dont believe you.

Ask me what I did 2-3 months ago and you will get a big I HAVE NO IDEA.

3 months of studying for this simple test? Thats crazy. Study 1.5 at most. AT MOST.

study 3 and you wont remember what you learned the first.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you poopie. I'm taking the DAT in mid-June, which gives me about 4 weeks after finals to focus solely on the DAT. I think 4 weeks of solid studying (4-6 hrs. per day) will leave me plenty prepared.

bosox_9 said:
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you poopie. I'm taking the DAT in mid-June, which gives me about 4 weeks after finals to focus solely on the DAT. I think 4 weeks of solid studying (4-6 hrs. per day) will leave me plenty prepared.

Everyone is different when it comes to the amount of time it takes them to learn the information. Just be sure that you don't cut yourself short, there is a huge amount of information that needs to be learned in order to do well on the DAT.

It may take you 4 weeks @ 4-6 hrs a day and it may take someone else 6 wks @ 8 hours a day. You don't know until you start studying for it.

Good luck to everyone taking the DAT this spring/summer!

I took the Kaplan class last summer before I started this year of "post bac." The reason I STILL have not taken the DAT is because it made sense to finish this year of classes as a review of material for the DAT. After this semester, May 5, I am going to devote the entire month to studying. I'll take the test around first of June. I think 4 weeks is plenty of time to "polish" your knowledge and do well on the test. If you're learning the material from scratch or its VERY fuzzy, then I suggest more time is needed for sure. :luck: