What if my O-Chem grades aren't that great?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
O-Chem:

First Semester - C+
Second Sememester - C- (??)

My GPA is around a 3.1 or so (will rise slightly). One year away from MCAT. Good deal of Volunteer and medical experience (3 year EMT, 2 year CNA). Very strong interest in Osteopathic Medicine and patient contact...primary care/family practice desires. Will be shadowing D.O. over the summer of 2000.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 04-05-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

The C's aren't going to stop you..I speak from experience. Get something on your record that others don't have...something to make you stand out. Find out what the schools you are interested in are big in. For example, the UHS administration is HUGE on community service. If you had info like that, would you be content to just volunteer in an ER one summer (like every premed does?) No, you take on a service project that really shows a committment to helping others. I went to Africa for a month and I am absolutely convinced this was a big reason I was accepted. Doing stellar extracurricular things are the best way to compensate for lower than average entering grades (obviously the MCAT compensates as well.) If the C's in ochem really bug you, re-take it. I screwed around my first year and got C's in general chemistry. I re-took the class, got A's, and it never came up during an interview. Personally, I don't think it's worth retaking (it would have taken A LOT to force me to go through ochem hell a second time!)

[This message has been edited by UHS03 (edited 04-05-2000).]