What IF you don't get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quiksilver

Secundum Artem PharmD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know this forum has been an awsome resource, very beneficial, and such. The application process for me has been frustrating to say the least i applied early in september and october, my one letter of recommendation took a month to get to PharmCAS, PharmCAS lost my academic update, BLAH. I just hate waiting, as of right now I have not been accepted anywhere, I had one interview (wit a school that does not use pharmcas) and now i am starting to worry. I'm obsessively checking my email and phone for anything. I really didn't think I would have a problem getting in. i have a 93 composite on the pcat and 3.1 science. I am graduating this year.

In my problem of paranoia, i am worring about what if i don't get in. What to do next year? I don't have any clue. I was thinking maybe i should retake some courses, that i got a B in. I have had my sets sight on pharmacy school since high school so there really isn't a hell of a lot i would rather do. Just seeing if anyone has a clue what to do. Encouragement, ideas welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't had any pharmacy experience, look for a job and work as a tech or ask to shadow a pharmacist. If I were you, I wouldn't retake the courses I got at least a B in. If you still want to take classes, take some upper courses.

You still have until August/September to hear from schools. Don't be discouraged. At least they haven't rejected you yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
i didnt get in last yr because of my poor pcat score...so i graduated with a bs and worked for the state of florida and retook the pcat and applied again...i applied early this yr and i talked a lot about my experience as a nutrition educator and i think the interviewers liked it...so dont worry there is still time...its never too late to go for what you want!!!!

yeah I hope so. I really have a unique application, i actually work for a clinical pharmacist. I have been working and doing research with him for a year now. I feel that there is something obviously lacking on my application and that is probably my science GPA.

As far as upper level classes, what should I take?
Clinical pharmacy experience is great, but does the type of pharmacy experience really matter? I am under the impression that in regards to pharmacy experience, i am doing fine.

Actually a 3.1 is not bad at all. I know a lot of people that got in this year already with lower GPA. The key is to apply early and apply to many schools, especially some newer ones.

If you want to make your application more unique, take some pharmacology courses. They can improve your GPA and will make you a more qualified candidate.

Probably continue working in the lab that I am currently in and apply again next year. I only applied to my state school this year, so all I'm doing now is waiting to hear from them. The wait really sucks when you already interviewed, and they tell you that you probably won't hear from them until 3 months later.

amen. Waiting sucks. I wish they would be able to let me know a lot sooner... I really hate this waiting game. I guess this is why i am worrying.

pharmacology courses would be awsome, but the only thing i could get into is undergrad courses at this point in time i think.

I am not sure how your school is, but I do believe it is the same as most, once you graduate with your degree, your GPA is solidified. So even retaking classes you didn't do so good in cannot raise your gpa if you have graduated. I am in the similiar boat as you are. I am just hoping to hear early enough if I got in or not, because if i don't, I will turn to plan B, which is not to graduate and take some other classes to make me a better candidate. If i were you, check with your school to know about the gpa thing. Other than that, good luck.

I am not sure how your school is, but I do believe it is the same as most, once you graduate with your degree, your GPA is solidified. So even retaking classes you didn't do so good in cannot raise your gpa if you have graduated. I am in the similiar boat as you are. I am just hoping to hear early enough if I got in or not, because if i don't, I will turn to plan B, which is not to graduate and take some other classes to make me a better candidate. If i were you, check with your school to know about the gpa thing. Other than that, good luck.

If i retake classes, they will be done at another school. My school is private and expensive enough for me not to want to take any extra classes there. With that being said, i would go to a state school and retake them, although this idea about taking pharmacology courses sounds like a good plan.

If you've already received grade B in those courses, you won't be able to improve your GPA much by repeating them. I'd only repeat if they were anything below a C and if they were science courses. It will make you a stronger candidate if you can do well in upper courses especially Pharmacology and if you get accepted, you will be a more prepared student.

Or you can take Biochemistry...none of the schools I'm applying to require Biochemistry, but it will be taught on the first year of pharmacy. I see no point in repeating the courses.

Or you can take Biochemistry...none of the schools I'm applying to require Biochemistry, but it will be taught on the first year of pharmacy. I see no point in repeating the courses.

But I think the school may be impressed or even convinced that you will succeed in their program if you take such a course that is not required but on their curriculum.

But I think the school may be impressed or even convinced that you will succeed in their program if you take such a course that is not required but on the curriculum.

Exactly!!! That is what I am doing. I will have a year of Biochemistry and Anatomy&Physiology completed by the end of this year and some pharmacology courses. But I still don't have a degree. Oh well...