What inspires and motivates you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezekiel20

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When all you've done in your recent memory is studying, when your brain is drowning in seemingly useless knowledge, when that crucial exam is only weeks away and you know every minute counts, what inspires you to carry on?

I'll start.

Ben Carson M.D. I recently re-read his autobiography, 'Gifted hands'.

ph_bencarson.jpg

He became the chief of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins at the age of 33, and in his life he faced odds that seemed more than impossible.

Reading about his life, it brings me shame, as I have so much that he did, and yet I find excuses for compromise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0310214696/104-4365409-2538350?v=glance&n=283155

And what about this man, S.B. Lee M.D. He is one of two practicing quadriplegic doctors in the US. Even getting up and showering himself was a struggle like none of us can imagine, but he overcame his adversities.

1a.jpg

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/dome/0502/top_story.cfm

Okay, so let's hear what inspires and motivates YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Hearing my father say to me in my mind: "I told you you would've been better off in tech".

Members don't see this ad :)
patients motivate me. i wish i could say that doctors & students do...but i just haven't found them to be particularly inspiring, yet. your examples are wonderful, though, thanks!

Dang, how did he make it that far at 33? Assuming he graduated high school at 18, college at 22, med school at 26, neurosurgery residency at 33, and ped fellowship 34-36? And thats just finishing. Impressive. Becoming chief?

2 things motivate me: $ so I can start my own lab, and being in the top .1% of the world I have nothing to whine about.

My wife and my child when they give me that, "We're drowning in debt and counting on you" look.

:)

The hate I have for my stepdad for what he did to my brother and I. It pushed me to a 4.0 in chemical engineering and straight honors in medical school. Whenever I doubt myself, I just think of when I heard him say "you don't have what it takes to make it through college."

I'd appreciate it if no one replies to this post. It's the truth, but I don't need counseling or advice from SDN or anyone else. Thanks.

My classmates who have struggled and grown with me throughout this crazy process.

My mother for surviving her hell so I could experience my heaven.

My parents. They made great sacrifices (especially financially) to help me achieve my dream. A lot of people in their position would not have been as selfless. I could never repay them for all they have done.

The sacrifices made by more family and friends that I can count that allowed me to me in this position.

My mother because she's done so much for me that a lot of mothers wouldn't do for their children and eventually she will depend on me as she gets older.

A science professor telling me I should've given up on a career in the sciences and that I should have pursued a career in the liberal arts instead (screw him I doubled in Philosphy and Bio).

Outdoing my father as he once said...
"In our family my parents always told me the point of raising your children is to make sure they become better than you."
- He was a damned good physician (passed away 7 years ago)

Even through countless episodes of self-doubt I have always known that I wanted to be a physician.

It is a miracle I was accepted into medical school.

Ben Carson is awesome! My dad forced me to read his biography in like 5th grade (I hated to read period) and he was actually a big inspiration...
Somewhere in the back of my mind I really want to be a neurosurgeon.

Not sure who said this, but I like it:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission ot do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

LuckyBambooGirl said:
Not sure who said this, but I like it:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission ot do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Marianne Williamson

I find inspiration in the journey itself. There's just something about each step of the process.

Motivation: a book that has as little to do with medicine as is possible. Once A Runner... by John L. Parker. Motivated the hell out of me when I was running cross country and track in high school, triathlons after, and occasionally between semesters when I started to hate undergrad.