What Is A Dentists Starting Salary? Please Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
paolorossifan said:
Good stuff, thanks. 32K is a little less than the 42K I predicited, but thats life I guess.

Utah's GPR pays 38k as well.

Members don't see this ad.

dental poopie said:
This thread has gone really weird!

If you really were new to sdn, how would you know what type of thread is normal and what is weird, vertical bite?

Oooh, I sure love them witch hunts :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was CONSUMED by this question when I started thinking about going to d-school-lol. So folks, here's the stats on yours truely:
First year: 135k
Second year: 145k
med/dental/sick/vacation/ce paid for
I will be buying an office this summer that nets 400k/yr
There you go. LOL - have fun people, the money is there if you have good clinical AND interpersonal skills!
any other q's just ask
kirk

Kirk- said:
I was CONSUMED by this question when I started thinking about going to d-school-lol. So folks, here's the stats on yours truely:
There you go. LOL - have fun people, the money is there if you have good clinical AND interpersonal skills!
any other q's just ask
kirk

i am curious as to how much $ it costs to buy an office that nets $400,000 per year. Also, what kind of overhead does it have?

That depends on a lot of things. OC will be a premium while rural will come cheaper. newer eq vs old, ppo/dmo vs FFS. Lots of things to consider. A basic rule of thumb is 1.5xnet then go from there considering the above.

organichemistry said:
i am curious as to how much $ it costs to buy an office that nets $400,000 per year. Also, what kind of overhead does it have?

Could you let us know what cities your practices are in?

Also, When you are buying a practice, is it already set-up with everything you need to run a practice?

If not, would you know how to stock your practice with two years of experience?

thanks alot

Kirk- said:
any other q's just ask
kirk

fouyboy, see my answers below:
fouyboy said:
Could you let us know what cities your practices are in?

No-privacy is a good thing. With that said, practices this size are not uncommon at all. There are many right around you in LA.

Also, When you are buying a practice, is it already set-up with everything you need to run a practice?
Yes

If not, would you know how to stock your practice with two years of experience?

The answer to this question will become clear to you when you have finished school. Short answer is yes.

thanks alot
you're welcome

Kirk- said:
any other q's just ask
kirk

So I take it your first two years, you worked for an associateship/group practice....how many associate dentists work for this practice? Also, just to clarify, you are a general dentist?

I'll throw this other fact out. There is a projection in 2008 (which could continue to about 2015 or so) of an insane number of baby boomers leaving the workforce and I can imagine a good portion of dentists out there are baby boomers.

Neon Black said:
I'll throw this other fact out. There is a projection in 2008 (which could continue to about 2015 or so) of an insane number of baby boomers leaving the workforce and I can imagine a good portion of dentists out there are baby boomers.

Everybody mentions this fact that there are more dentists leaving than joining the field but nobody gives any hard numbers or attempts to give an estimate. Can somebody please give an projections to back this up? Pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssseeeeeeeee! :(

blankguy said:
Everybody mentions this fact that there are more dentists leaving than joining the field but nobody gives any hard numbers or attempts to give an estimate. Can somebody please give an projections to back this up? Pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssseeeeeeeee! :(

Here's one, check page 4: http://www.gabelli.com/Gab_pdf/res_reports/dental_hl060204.pdf

Or, y'know, you could do the research to answer your own questions. ;) There's a wealth of demographic data available on the topic. Just Google "dentists retiring annually" and you should come up with all the info you want.

I've been looking for an office to buy for a year now, and am starting to wrap up one that I've found. I know you all hear that there is a shortage of dentists;this is not true. In any area where you would like to live, there will be competition, and in the best places, you will struggle....even in 2010.
Just look at the practice sale ads:300-400 offices for sale nationwide with around 4k graduates(of which 20% will specialize). For ever one of you going into residency, there will be one coming out.
The ONLY area where there is a shortage of dentists is in the rural areas that are unappealing to live in(poor, no city amenities, bad schools, isolated).
Good luck guys, but do NOT fall for the line that there is a shortage of dentists. Also, the notion of them reitiring en masse is also untrue. In my area, fully 1/2 of the dentists are over 50...BUT..there are several of them practing into there 70's. Practices come on the market and are snapped up in a month or two AND If the seller isn't going to get what he wants out of the sale, he will just keep practicing. What I've found is this: if you move where you want to live-the most appealing place- you will struggle for several years at least from high competition. If you are more flexible on location, you won't struggle as much.
Just please do not fall for the line that there is a "shortage" of dentists or that they are all going to retire at once driving down the sales price of their offices--it just won't happen.

kirk
aphistis said:
Here's one, check page 4: http://www.gabelli.com/Gab_pdf/res_reports/dental_hl060204.pdf

Or, y'know, you could do the research to answer your own questions. ;) There's a wealth of demographic data available on the topic. Just Google "dentists retiring annually" and you should come up with all the info you want.

Kirk- said:
I've been looking for an office to buy for a year now, and am starting to wrap up one that I've found. I know you all hear that there is a shortage of dentists;this is not true. In any area where you would like to live, there will be competition, and in the best places, you will struggle....even in 2010.
Just look at the practice sale ads:300-400 offices for sale nationwide with around 4k graduates(of which 20% will specialize). For ever one of you going into residency, there will be one coming out.
The ONLY area where there is a shortage of dentists is in the rural areas that are unappealing to live in(poor, no city amenities, bad schools, isolated).
Good luck guys, but do NOT fall for the line that there is a shortage of dentists. Also, the notion of them reitiring en masse is also untrue. In my area, fully 1/2 of the dentists are over 50...BUT..there are several of them practing into there 70's. Practices come on the market and are snapped up in a month or two AND If the seller isn't going to get what he wants out of the sale, he will just keep practicing. What I've found is this: if you move where you want to live-the most appealing place- you will struggle for several years at least from high competition. If you are more flexible on location, you won't struggle as much.
Just please do not fall for the line that there is a "shortage" of dentists or that they are all going to retire at once driving down the sales price of their offices--it just won't happen.

kirk

wow you sound unhappy! Keep looking. Or just get a rural practice and make the commute.

If I cant find something I will go work for another dentist and make $150,000.

Either way I will be a doctor and have money.

2 top priorities!

Whats the use to do a residency anyway?

Does anyone know?

Kirk- said:

kirk
Interesting. I know that the statistics say that a bunch of dentists will retire soon and the graduates will benefit. Fact is, the older dentists don't want to retire because their practices are so lucrative now. They have no debt left so they just practice and rake in the money. I shadowed two dentists, one was in his early 60's with plans to retire in the next five years, but since the economy has sucked he decided to work longer and get a better retirement. The other dentist was in his late 60's and expressed no desire to retire any time soon. So it seems that dentists are retiring much later than the normal population.

Maybe not now or maybe not in 10 years, but at some point, there will be a huge dropoff in the number of practicing dentists. Like Kiluminati pointed out, it seems as if many dentists are now retiring at a later point than expected. In any case, its just a matter of time that more dentists retire than graduate.

I've talked to several 70ish guys and they all plan on practicing until they die(literally) LOL What usually happens is they get slower and slower and are unable to keep up with modern practice. Patient attrition is the result, making their office even less lucrative and less appealing to purchase. The demographics of the office tip towards the penny-pinching retired crowd, perio goes undiagnosed/untreated etc. Then they eventually close their doors due to illness or frustration.
It's not depressing to see this, just really irritating when you've found an area you want to live in and approach them in the hopes they will sell.
kirk
ps-I finally found the office I want so my looking is over. Just be ready to spend a long time looking when it's your turn, it's not as easy as you've been led to believe.
Rezdawg said:
Maybe not now or maybe not in 10 years, but at some point, there will be a huge dropoff in the number of practicing dentists. Like Kiluminati pointed out, it seems as if many dentists are now retiring at a later point than expected. In any case, its just a matter of time that more dentists retire than graduate.

Kirk- said:
I've talked to several 70ish guys and they all plan on practicing until they die(literally) LOL What usually happens is they get slower and slower and are unable to keep up with modern practice. Patient attrition is the result, making their office even less lucrative and less appealing to purchase. The demographics of the office tip towards the penny-pinching retired crowd, perio goes undiagnosed/untreated etc. Then they eventually close their doors due to illness or frustration.
It's not depressing to see this, just really irritating when you've found an area you want to live in and approach them in the hopes they will sell.
kirk
ps-I finally found the office I want so my looking is over. Just be ready to spend a long time looking when it's your turn, it's not as easy as you've been led to believe.

why not just rent or buy a place and start your own?

Run them out of town. Dont let them have the upper hand in naming their price.

dental poopie said:
why not just rent or buy a place and start your own?

Run them out of town. Dont let them have the upper hand in naming their price.

Starting from scratch can be a difficult, time-consuming task...not to mention it is a crapload more expensive...not to mention you will have a zero patient pool to begin with.

Buying an existing practice is cheaper, less hassle, and hands you a bunch of patients in the process, I think. lol...maybe I should shut up until Im actually a dentist :D