What is an acceptable MCAT score? a range?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions. A range form "you have a shot - definitely"

Members don't see this ad.

You have a shot - 25
Definitely - 35

But that is not set in stone at all. People have gotten in with lower and rejected with higher than those posted.

I hope your right. Everything else about my application is great. I feel it really demonstrates my dedication to practicing medicine and my desire to pursue the field only to help others..rather than for money or prestige.

well considering the national average is a 39S, a 40 or above should secure your spot at some OK schools

Members don't see this ad :)
::cough-300-cough::

There has to be something else wrong with your application for you to start three simultaneous threads on the same exact topic. I mean, hello? You (allegedly) have a 3.97. You (allegedly) did something or another that would make you appeal to adcoms.

First of all, a 25 isn't a bad score. A good chunk of applicants score lower than the national average. It doesn't by any means guarantee a spot in med school. But then again, neither does a 45.

Secondly, look at your GPA. What kinds of courses have you taken in college? Are a good portion of your BPCM courses upper-level? Are you a science or humanities major? In what class did you get an A- or B+ or whatever it was that kept you .03 away from a 4.0? Have you improved in that area since? I would argue that if you are able to excel in higher level science courses, then that alone could balance out the 25 MCAT.

What was the breakdown of your MCAT score? Were some areas significantly higher than others, or was it pretty much even across the board? Did you freak out during the test, or were you simply expecting a better score after the fact? If its a matter of the nervousness, then you could very well improve your score if you take it again, but there is no guarantee that it will happen. Are you willing to risk earning a lower or equal score, which will undoubtedly worsen your application? MCAT has a chart cirulating somewhere in this board that shows how most retakers fail to improve their scores in any significant way the second time around. Personally, I think the money'd be better spent on applications, or for a party after you're accepted.

Originally posted by theDr.
I hope your right. Everything else about my application is great. I feel it really demonstrates my dedication to practicing medicine and my desire to pursue the field only to help others..rather than for money or prestige.

Sounds like somebody has been rehearsing!

Obviously I would be extremely concerned about the score if I have been working toward this one goal, did well in all my classes (including upper division like biochem) and then choked on the exam. So, thats why i ask so much.

theDR-
I feel your pain, it stinks when you think you did everything right the past four years and one test screws up your chances. But what do you have to lose? I would apply and hope for the best. If the worst happens thats ok too. It will give you a chance to experience life a little more! Perhaps try a year of research. Life always throws us little curve balls, the people who are the most successful at overcoming adversity will no doubt appreciate things more when things do go as planned. Sometimes being the underdog is the best situation. The pressure is off, you have nothing to lose! If you get asked for an interview blow them away. You get out of an education what you put into it, so even if you don't get into your first choice school, it is not the end of the world. Good luck!
-Gryff

Originally posted by Columbia22
well considering the national average is a 39S, a 40 or above should secure your spot at some OK schools

What the crap are you talking about? I have never heard of an average score that high. Average acceptance rates are between straight 9's and 11's. I'm guessing composites are lower than that. So what did you mean when you said an average score is 39S??

Originally posted by Firebird
What the crap are you talking about? I have never heard of an average score that high. Average acceptance rates are between straight 9's and 11's. I'm guessing composites are lower than that. So what did you mean when you said an average score is 39S??

I have a sneaking suspicion that it was a joke. I think that person may have set you up the bomb!

Going back and reading his original post has made me feel rather dumb. I am a fairly sarcastic person myself, so it's odd that I didn't catch the joke. I must have been half asleep or something.

Originally posted by Firebird
Going back and reading his original post has made me feel rather dumb. I am a fairly sarcastic person myself, so it's odd that I didn't catch the joke. I must have been half asleep or something.

It's hard to read sarcasm if you can't actually see or hear the person speaking. 99% of online arguments come from a misunderstanding of someone's sarcasm.

95% of all statistics are made up.

***For clarity's purpose, this post is meant to be sarcastic.***

As an admissions committee member who never saw an MCAT score all year (they were screened to be at least 7 in each category before I saw them,) I tell you quit obsessing about your MCATs and focus on making yourself interesting. It'll carry you a lot further.

a 25 will get the adcom attention, but an acceptance depends on your personal statement and your interviewing skills. Don't forget to turn in EVERYTHING early!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's my advice.