What is an intern license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiko

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering:confused: what is an intern license?When does internship start in any PharmD program?Is it the same as clinical rotation or is it something different?Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, but in Arizona you are eligible to work as an intern as soon as you start pharmacy school. Rotations are done later on in your program, and typically they are not paid. You can work as an intern while in school and get paid, and many hospitals and retail stores have tuition assitance programs for interns.

Most programs if not all of them require their PharmD students to do internship hours in a pharmacy while in school. For example, I believe URI requires 1000 hours of internship hours for graduation. These are hours that you can get paid for, but only count when you get an interns license. The time you can get your license depends on the state you are going to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do rotations count toward the required intern hours?

What about international students? Can they get an intern license and work?
I know right know that as an undergrad. an international student is not allowed to work off campus. However interning is part of education. So if anybody knows anything about this, or have international friends that had to deal with this issue plzzzz let me know.
Thanks

Do rotations count toward the required intern hours?

I don't believe so Bromine, however; it may depend on the school. If I remember right, most students I knew from work at the hospital were scrambling to finish their hours even though they were on rotations. I'm in RI and it may be different in other states. For example, some students were working part time as tech's while in P1-P3 and while they were on rotations to get all the intern hours required. The amount of hours depends on the school.

It depends on the school. Some school's require a few internship hours each as part of their curriculum for P1-P3, while others only have internships during the four year.

Also whether rotations count towards internship hours I believe varies state to state and their licensing requirements.

At Pacific U - the school week consists of Mon-Thurs classes - and Friday is spent interning at a pharmacy. Because the program is only 3 years, they schedule lots of time for internship hours to be completed

~above~

It really depends on where you are located. For example, in PA. the state requires a student to havce 1500 hours of intern hours and half of that must be done outside of school and the other half can be done on rotations. And as soon as you get accepted to a pharmacy school (ie LECOM) and as long as you get the state boards to approve you as an intern you can start accumulating the 750 hours prior to even starting school. I suggest you google and find out the laws for your state!!! :D

The CA Board of Pharmacy intern form says the intern must be enrolled in school to apply for registration. So that means if I work this summer it will have to be as a technician and not as an intern since school doesn't start for me until September?