What is anesthesiology research? What research matters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwb18200

Reaction score
I am considering a research position doing bench work at my school for the summer. The project concerns the mechanism of opioids in resolving sickle cell pain crises using mice as a model organism. Is this research anesthesiology related? More generally, does research have to apply to the field one is aiming for to be impressive to PDs? Also, as I'm doing "bench work", does that mean I won't be involved in the final publication?

If it isn't anesthesiology related, what are some good places to get involved with anesthesiology research?

Members don't see this ad.

You don’t need specialty specific research and honestly this seems like one of those projects that goes nowhere. I would look for clinical research worth a high chance of publishing

Basic Science/bench research (in anesthesia) is a joke. Find some clinical research groups that do Anesthesia or pain clinical trials. Seek out high-volume centers, as those will participate in more extensive trials. You won't get a chance to design a prospective trial, but many use larger data sets from published trials... this allows med students to pull retrospective data for sub-studies and thesis projects.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a waste of time. Better to study and try to make connections with academic faculty and possibly do some case reports or easy educational materials. I presented 3 easy papers at my schools research conference and they were never published in journals.

I'd respectfully argue that it depends on how competitive you want to be for the Match. If you want to stand out for top programs, the PDs definitely take notice of publications. I've worked with several med students in anesthesia research that defended master's theses.... all of them are currently in or about to start fellowships for cards or peds anesthesia.

OP, your mileage may vary. I don't know your location or proximity to high-impact research programs. If you want to do research, then it should be in a place that can guarantee publications. These are the research projects that come with mentorships at a higher level. The kind of mentors that are friendly with other PDs. They talk. They see students present at ASA. I've seen a top PD coming up to my friend afterward and asking her to apply to his program, and he sent my PI an email that same night asking the same. These weren't gunners, they were razor-sharp kids in a T25 allopathic program--easy-going people with personalities. They all took months to a year off school for either a Master's in Research or an MSTP, and so took research very seriously. Their performance in research is what sealed the deal for them.

You can certainly match without publications, but what I don't know is what the other applicants will look like. You will be competing with allopathic students, many of whom will most likely have one or two publications under their belt. Case reports and retrospective studies are perfect, even better if they are in anesthesia. How competitive are you?

You can get by without research and forge your own path, but it doesn't hurt to have it. There are a couple of large anesthesia research groups out there, and they all have sites and Sub-I's at different hospitals across the nation. FAER is a good place to start. You can DM me if you have more questions.

using mice as a model organism.
Humans make poor models for mice, and vice versa ;)

------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Take what I'm saying with some grains of salt. It depends how hardcore you are. Check out this previous thread:

You don’t need specialty specific research and honestly this seems like one of those projects that goes nowhere. I would look for clinical research worth a high chance of publishing

So if I wanted to do anesthesiology, a study about say an infectious disease or OMM techniques would not be helpful?

I am considering a research position doing bench work at my school for the summer. The project concerns the mechanism of opioids in resolving sickle cell pain crises using mice as a model organism. Is this research anesthesiology related? More generally, does research have to apply to the field one is aiming for to be impressive to PDs? Also, as I'm doing "bench work", does that mean I won't be involved in the final publication?

If it isn't anesthesiology related, what are some good places to get involved with anesthesiology research?

How is a project about opioid mechanisms not anesthesia related? Sure it's basic science, but pain management is a huge part of what we do.

Bench work isn't as good as having a publication, but this project would get notice from PDs. Far more than some worthless poster about something unrelated.

Just make sure you understand the research and can present it intelligently on interviews.

It's a waste of time. Better to study and try to make connections with academic faculty and possibly do some case reports or easy educational materials. I presented 3 easy papers at my schools research conference and they were never published in journals.

This person isn't wrong. Most applicants will be fine with just enough research to check that box on the application. There are a few programs that are research heavy. They are the ones that you would think they are.

Most places care far more about the clinical side of things. At the end of the day, most anesthesiologists do not do research as a significant part of their career.

So if I wanted to do anesthesiology, a study about say an infectious disease or OMM techniques would not be helpful?

ID research would be better than OMM. I don't have a great reason for saying that other than DO bias is a thing some places. Either one will check the research box.

Reactions: 1 user
ID research would be better than OMM. I don't have a great reason for saying that other than DO bias is a thing some places. Either one will check the research box.

Would wet-lab ID research be better for applying anesthesiology than a lit review or case study actually pertaining to anesthesiology?

Would wet-lab ID research be better for applying anesthesiology than a lit review or case study actually pertaining to anesthesiology?

Anesthesia related is gonna be better. Whatever it is be able to talk about it intelligently during an interview.

It is unlikely to make or break your application either way (as long as everything else looks good).

Reactions: 1 user
Anesthesia related is gonna be better. Whatever it is be able to talk about it intelligently during an interview.

It is unlikely to make or break your application either way (as long as everything else looks good).

Asking for a friend who wants to apply anesthesia - are a handful of well-written case reports and reviews good for research or do programs want things like chart reviews/clinical trials/etc?

Asking for a friend who wants to apply anesthesia - are a handful of well-written case reports and reviews good for research or do programs want things like chart reviews/clinical trials/etc?

I think you would be fine with some well written case reports. If you want a research heavy programs, then more research would be needed. For most programs focused on clinical training (even top ones), a few case reports/reviews or poster presentations will check the box.

I think you would be fine with some well written case reports. If you want a research heavy programs, then more research would be needed. For most programs focused on clinical training (even top ones), a few case reports/reviews or poster presentations will check the box.

Thank you! Just one last question if you don't mind. How can you really tell if a program is research heavy? Because sometimes it may not be as clear as just looking up the USWNR Research Ranking of the associated med school.