What is AOA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuce 007 MD

license to ill
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly is AOA? I'm not talking about the Amercian Osteo. Assoc. Is it some type of honor while in medical school? If so what do you need to do to attain it? I've been reading the allopathic boards and they mention to get into top matches you need to be AOA and in the high percentile on the boards. Please enlighten my ignorance.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the AOA you are referring to is the medical honors society. Not all schools have it, including some of the top schools. Also the requirements/procedure for entry varies by school, on who votes, etc. Sometimes you can become AOA early on. Sometimes becoming AOA is reserved for 4th years and beyond - in which case, often by time it is announced, you already know your residency spot, so it doesn't help with that. Some schools have junior and senior AOA, the junior AOA being something you are nominated to in the first couple of years, thus this can be included in your residency apps.

it stands for Alpha Omega Alpha.....it's an honor society that means you graudated from medical school in the top 10%.

I don't know if every medical school has this honors fraternity.