What is AOA?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Deuce 007 MD, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Deuce 007 MD

Deuce 007 MD license to ill

What exactly is AOA? I'm not talking about the Amercian Osteo. Assoc. Is it some type of honor while in medical school? If so what do you need to do to attain it? I've been reading the allopathic boards and they mention to get into top matches you need to be AOA and in the high percentile on the boards. Please enlighten my ignorance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Street Philosopher

it's like phi beta kappa for med students.

4. tBw

tBw totally deluded

Yes, the AOA you are referring to is the medical honors society. Not all schools have it, including some of the top schools. Also the requirements/procedure for entry varies by school, on who votes, etc. Sometimes you can become AOA early on. Sometimes becoming AOA is reserved for 4th years and beyond - in which case, often by time it is announced, you already know your residency spot, so it doesn't help with that. Some schools have junior and senior AOA, the junior AOA being something you are nominated to in the first couple of years, thus this can be included in your residency apps.

5. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1

it stands for Alpha Omega Alpha.....it's an honor society that means you graudated from medical school in the top 10%.

I don't know if every medical school has this honors fraternity.