Which med schools have no AOA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Is there a list out there somewhere of schools that don't have it?

Additionally, if anyone could comment on whether it would beneficial or not to have it, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Additionally, if anyone could comment on whether it would beneficial or not to have it, please let me know.
I am just an applicant so take what I say with a grain of salt, but no AOA is a good thing.

I believe the schools that have gotten rid of it are, for the most part, T20s, and more are in the process of getting rid of it. It's one less subjective measurement you have the chance to be dinged on when applying to residency. From experience, that sort of stuff boils down to rubbish politics anyway so it's a positive if a school doesn't have it.

I am just an applicant so take what I say with a grain of salt, but no AOA is a good thing.

I believe the schools that have gotten rid of it are, for the most part, T20s, and more are in the process of getting rid of it. It's one less subjective measurement you have the chance to be dinged on when applying to residency. From experience, that sort of stuff boils down to rubbish politics anyway so it's a positive if a school doesn't have it.

The criteria to get in vary. At some schools it is political, at other schools it is purely merit based. It can be a great thing to have on your app for residency, but it is by no means necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is a poor decision. It makes distinguishing yourself harder. Some schools have P/F all four years rather than just the preclinical years. Now STEP 1 is pass fail. Now no AOA? How do you set yourself apart other than subjective letters written for your file during clinical rotations? That makes the process more random and subject to the biases of the doctors you work with on rotation. No thanks.

The criteria to get in vary. At some schools it is political, at other schools it is purely merit based. It can be a great thing to have on your app for residency, but it is by no means necessary.
I agree, I heard of top residencies only moving down from T20 schools to choose students with AOA at mid/lows. Isn't it a shot in the dark whether it will be truly merit-based though? Schools like to say one thing and do another.

If it was objective (top X%) and people were allowed to apply for it so their entire application was seen, I would be all for it. I'm just a bit jaded because I was literally told I was a top contender for a prestigious award and my merit was well above the others, but I didn't receive it. It was infuriating but I learned that life's not fair and you shouldn't expect it to be, so not a total loss.

I agree, I heard of top residencies only moving down from T20 schools to choose students with AOA at mid/lows. Isn't it a shot in the dark whether it will be truly merit-based though? Schools like to say one thing and do another.

If it was objective (top X%) and people were allowed to apply for it so their entire application was seen, I would be all for it. I'm just a bit jaded because I was literally told I was a top contender for a prestigious award and my merit was well above the others, but I didn't receive it. It was infuriating but I learned that life's not fair and you shouldn't expect it to be, so not a total loss.

You can look at the criteria on the school chapter’s website. The more nebulous they sound, the more political it probably is. Like some schools it’s literally just top 25% and not failing anything.