What is competency based curriculum like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anewmanx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see this method referenced on some medical school websites and on the site for a MSN program I’m interested in.

How does it compare to traditional graded education? I love reading and learning, and applying abstract concepts, but I absolutely despise regurgitating rote learned material on test; though I tend to be good at it. How does evaluation work in competency based education?

Thanks for anyone who can offer some insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I see this method referenced on some medical school websites and on the site for a MSN program I’m interested in.

How does it compare to traditional graded education? I love reading and learning, and applying abstract concepts, but I absolutely despise regurgitating rote learned material on test; though I tend to be good at it. How does evaluation work in competency based education?

Thanks for anyone who can offer some insight.
Oh, you still get graded. It's just more for doing things as opposed to memorizing things. For example, Professionalism means showing up when you're supposed to, being a nice person, and doing what you're supposed to do. And NOT do the things you're not supposed to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, you still get graded. It's just more for doing things as opposed to memorizing things. For example, Professionalism means showing up when you're supposed to, being a nice person, and doing what you're supposed to do. And NOT do the things you're not supposed to do.

well goodness, I could live with that!

Hard choice then. Do I do a hybrid distance program with 2-3 days of clinicals and hour and 15 minutes away with traditional grading, or do I do a 5 day a week residential program with integrated clinicals, but competency based curriculum? Same cost, same entry requirements. The competency based program is a direct entry msn and the program is new this year from an established school. I’m guessing you get in if you apply kind of situation. The other program has been around for some time but is expanding rapidly, perhaps not Good teacher / student ratios.

Members don't see this ad :)
well goodness, I could live with that!

Hard choice then. Do I do a hybrid distance program with 2-3 days of clinicals and hour and 15 minutes away with traditional grading, or do I do a 5 day a week residential program with integrated clinicals, but competency based curriculum? Same cost, same entry requirements. The competency based program is a direct entry msn and the program is new this year from an established school. I’m guessing you get in if you apply kind of situation. The other program has been around for some time but is expanding rapidly, perhaps not Good teacher / student ratios.
You're going to have to decide which is best for you. Which will better suit your learning style. MOst importantly, how do the current student like it???

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm. Something tells me I really should visit both campuses and start asking actual people what they think like you say. No clue why I didn’t think of that. Thanks for the advice!