What is considered a LOW DAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zhaoyun

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just in general

Members don't see this ad.

I would say 17 and below in any section would be considered low. Am I right people? Just my opinion I guess.

Less than 19 is less than the average DAT matriculation score at most schools, but you should have a 20/21 if you want to be highly competitive. I'm not sure about the individual sections though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Below 21 according to sdn

Reactions: 1 user
When I was studying I assumed the grades (from the few breakdowns I looked at) on here were the norm. so anything below a 22 was not so good and a 22 was average. When I got my 24 I thought I did slightly above average and felt a little disappointed. Then my mood flipped to the opposite end of the spectrum when I saw my percentile.

When I finished the DAT and started lurking around here more I realized the avg of all test takers was about a 17 and the avg for the students that get accepted was a 19. I realized this from Doc toothaches excel files.

So a low score is around 17 or less in my opinion.

It depends. A lot of the times anything under 18 is low. But lets say you get a 16 in one section but your PAT, TS, AA and other sections are 20+ you'd be fine i think. With that said, try to score 19-20+ in all sections to increase your chances to get in.

I've gotten two interviews with a 16 in PAT and OC. My AA was 19. But then again, my application had much more things on it, including the post-bacc I'm working on right now.

SDN= a cave filled with einstein's children.

When I was studying I assumed the grades (from the few breakdowns I looked at) on here were the norm. so anything below a 22 was not so good and a 22 was average. When I got my 24 I thought I did slightly above average and felt a little disappointed. Then my mood flipped to the opposite end of the spectrum when I saw my percentile.

When I finished the DAT and started lurking around here more I realized the avg of all test takers was about a 17 and the avg for the students that get accepted was a 19. I realized this from Doc toothaches excel files.

So a low score is around 17 or less in my opinion.

dude... u were "slightly" above average with a 24? u smokin? lol
u should be happy with those grades =)

Of course other factors apply, and i do feel that the realistic average DAT has went up a full point in the past few years.

16's - Don't bother applying, you need to retake the DAT.
17's - Every other aspect of your app should be spotless/perfect. Would help if dad was a prof at your school.
18's - You should have an extremely strong app outside the DAT. This score hurts more than it helps.
19's - Used to be a solid score, but IMO it doesn't help you (or hurt much) anymore.
20's - This DAT is a positive at most state schools, but still a negative at the top schools.
21's - This score will help most any school, and at least get you consideration at the better schools outside the very top ones.
22's - Your state school is pretty excited, and any school will give you an honest look.
23's - Every school outside Harvard sees this as a big score.
24's - Don't punch anyone during the interview.

Of course other factors apply, and i do feel that the realistic average DAT has went up a full point in the past few years.

16's - Don't bother applying, you need to retake the DAT.
17's - Every other aspect of your app should be spotless/perfect. Would help if dad was a prof at your school.
18's - You should have an extremely strong app outside the DAT. This score hurts more than it helps.
19's - Used to be a solid score, but IMO it doesn't help you (or hurt much) anymore.
20's - This DAT is a positive at most state schools, but still a negative at the top schools.
21's - This score will help most any school, and at least get you consideration at the better schools outside the very top ones.
22's - Your state school is pretty excited, and any school will give you an honest look.
23's - Every school outside Harvard sees this as a big score.
24's - Don't punch anyone during the interview.

LOL i love the 24 comment haha

IMO, a bad score is an AA of 17 and lower. Though if your app is really good you may be abe to survive a 17 but Im sure you will be dead in the water no matter what with a 16 and less.

17 and below is "low." General formula for success seems to be a GPA higher than 3.5 and 18+ on all DAT sections.

17 and below is "low." General formula for success seems to be a GPA higher than 3.5 and 18+ on all DAT sections.

I agree although i find it hard that you wrote this sentence due to your 24AA scores lol

I think 16 is LOW because if I remember correctly, I think some schools have a cutoff at 16