PhD/PsyD What is considered an internship/residency acceptable to the Office of the Surgeon General?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookie88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*I'm not sure if this was posted somewhere else but I couldn't find it, please delete if duplicated*

I've been recently looking at civilian job posting working with the military. I attended an APA program, but due to not having an advisor (she abruptly quit my institution) or much guidance around internship apps, I applied to a mix of APA and non-APA internships. I thought that anything on the APPIC website was good to go, and I matched with the only non-APA site on my rank list. It's an APPIC member though. Now, considering working on board certification in a few years.

Here is an example of a section of the job posting requirements:

"Must have completed an APA approved internship/residency in clinical psychology (or an internship/residency acceptable to the Office of the Surgeon General, U.S. Army)"

What is considered acceptable? Is an APPIC member internship acceptable? Would it be possible to submit my training manual with an application?

Appreciate any clarity. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

*I'm not sure if this was posted somewhere else but I couldn't find it, please delete if duplicated*

I've been recently looking at civilian job posting working with the military. I attended an APA program, but due to not having an advisor (she abruptly quit my institution) or much guidance around internship apps, I applied to a mix of APA and non-APA internships. I thought that anything on the APPIC website was good to go, and I matched with the only non-APA site on my rank list. It's an APPIC member though. Now, considering working on board certification in a few years.

"Must have completed an APA approved internship/residency in clinical psychology (or an internship/residency acceptable to the Office of the Surgeon General, U.S. Army)"

What is considered acceptable? Is an APPIC member internship acceptable? Would it be possible to submit my training manual with an application?

No

This is just a guess, but I'm wondering if non-APA federal agency internships would be acceptable (for instance, VA internships still make you eligible for employment in the VA even if they aren't APA accredited).

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, it's worth a shot to see, but you're going to be hard-pressed to find a government job without APA accreditation. As long as it's at least in a mildly desirable place, these jobs get tons of applicants, and HR immediately throws out the ones that don't qualify, so the committee may not even see it. Even if they do, they are likely to have plenty more to choose from with adequately accredited internships. What do you mean working on board certification in couple of years? Internships don't get boarded, people do.

I mean, it's worth a shot to see, but you're going to be hard-pressed to find a government job without APA accreditation. As long as it's at least in a mildly desirable place, these jobs get tons of applicants, and HR immediately throws out the ones that don't qualify, so the committee may not even see it. Even if they do, they are likely to have plenty more to choose from with adequately accredited internships. What do you mean working on board certification in couple of years? Internships don't get boarded, people do.
HR sometimes throws out ones that are qualified as well because, well, HR.

Honestly though OP, why would you take a risk that you don't need to take? There are certain federal jobs that accept appic membership (I've heard this is true of DOC jobs, for instance), but why rely on that to stay true in the future or gamble on that without needing to.

This is just a guess, but I'm wondering if non-APA federal agency internships would be acceptable (for instance, VA internships still make you eligible for employment in the VA even if they aren't APA accredited).
I think that is one of the only exceptions that remains. I know a psychologist who got their civilian job with the US military many years ago despite not completing an APA-accredited internship, but the DOD has since tightened the standards and generally only allow APA-accredited internships. This psychologist is grandfathered in, but not having an APA internship means they are basically stuck in their current job without many other opportunities.

The VA will accept ABPP in lieu of an APA accredited internship, and a lot of hospitals like to see it as well, so that's probably a good idea.
If I were you, I would apply for the job. They say in the job ad that they will consider other internships so long as they are acceptable. I don't know what their criteria are, but I wouldn't shut down the option for the job before you try.

Sorry for any confusion, I meant that I'm considering the ABPP certification in the future.

The VA will accept ABPP in lieu of an APA accredited internship, and a lot of hospitals like to see it as well, so that's probably a good idea.
If I were you, I would apply for the job. They say in the job ad that they will consider other internships so long as they are acceptable. I don't know what their criteria are, but I wouldn't shut down the option for the job before you try.

Appreciate the feedback too. I have behavioral health and primary care training so I'll see what my options are in the future. My more immediate future focus though will be a NHSC site.

Sorry for any confusion, I meant that I'm considering the ABPP certification in the future.

ABPP board cert is difficult without an apa accredited internship. For some, like neuro, it's exceedingly difficult to get without one. My advice is to call the board now and find out what you need to do to be eligible. You'll need to play your postdoc activities carefully to make up for the non-accredited internship, if it's possible.