What is considered primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starburst217

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm wondering if someone could help clarify this for me. I am interested in neonatology, which starts with a 3 year pediatric residency. One of the schools I am applying to has a primary care track for extra mentorship in 'internal medicine, geriatrics, pediatrics, and family medicine'. Would it be wrong to say I am interested in this track if I plan on becoming a neonatologist ultimately? Is neonatology considered primary care? I always thought they were considered a specialty, but now am doubting myself. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Neonatalogy is a fellowship of pediatrics. Pediatrics is considered primary care.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FM and IM without fellowship. I’ve heard some people say that psych and OBGYN are primary care but I don’t think this is necessarily true.

Is a hospitalist considered primary care or just PCPs?

FM and IM without fellowship. I’ve heard some people say that psych and OBGYN are primary care but I don’t think this is necessarily true.

Hospitalist is a generalist, but certainly not primary care. PCP literally means “primary care provider,” which means outpatient chronic medical issue management/preventative care/urgent care. This is generally provided by IM, FM, peds, and in some cases OB/Gyn.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for clarifying this for me. So, do you think it would be wrong to express interest in the primary care track (with it being evident through my personal statement and research that I want to pursue neonatology)?

Thank you for clarifying this for me. So, do you think it would be wrong to express interest in the primary care track (with it being evident through my personal statement and research that I want to pursue neonatology)?
Not so much that it would be “wrong” as that I don’t think anyone would buy it if it’s in your personal statement that you want to do Neonatology. If there is any ambiguity that you could be a general pediatrician, then you might be taken more seriously

Reactions: 2 users
Neonatology is a very academic field from what I’ve heard. Far cry from outpatient medicine…unless I am only thinking of intensive care

Neonatology is a very academic field from what I’ve heard. Far cry from outpatient medicine…unless I am only thinking of intensive care
Not necessarily for the bolded, neonatology is actually one of the very few peds subspecialties that exists at regular non-academic medical centers. It is certainly highly specialized, though.

Reactions: 3 users

What about geriatrics- that’s still considered primary care despite being an IM/FM fellowship right?

Nurseries have different levels, like trauma centers. Some only take care of mildly ill infants for monitoring, others take very premature and or sick babies. These are at tertiary children's or women's hospitals. Neonatology at those centers is very labor intensive as the neonates have very little reserve to handle stresses. Small fluctuations in fluids or meds can have great impact.

Reactions: 2 users
What about geriatrics- that’s still considered primary care despite being an IM/FM fellowship right?
Yes. Geriatrics is primary care as well.

For some patients with HIV and not too many other medical issues, their ID physician may serve as their PCP; however, this is a small subset of ID-trained physicians.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve heard some people say that psych and OBGYN are primary care but I don’t think this is necessarily true.
The government defines these specialties as primary care (for NHSC payback purposes):
  • Family Medicine – 3 years
  • General Internal Medicine – 3 years
  • General Pediatrics – 3 years
  • Obstetrics-Gynecology – 4 years
  • General Psychiatry – 4 years
  • Internal Medicine/Family Medicine – 4 years
  • Internal Medicine/Pediatrics – 4 years
  • Family Medicine/Psychiatry – 5 years
  • Internal Medicine/Psychiatry – 5 years

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
So, do you think it would be wrong to express interest in the primary care track (with it being evident through my personal statement and research that I want to pursue neonatology)?
The purpose of the track is to support the education of those who wish to serve as primary care physicians.
Neonatologists are not primary care physicians. If you were accepted into the track (for which you may not be found to be eligible), it would be with the hope that you would re-direct your goals.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users