What is going on here?!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilithny

yawn
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so frustrated.

I've been taking pre-req's at a local CC (financially this was what I could afford) - bio 1, physics 1, chem 1 & 2, a&p 1&2 . then i decided i wanted to take the rest of the pre-req's and some upper level science classes in a post-bacc program

I figured that should work... to show that I can do well at the CC level, and also show that I can do well with upper level classes from at 4-year school.

I contacted the director of the program at a nearby school and asked her for some advice about what I should do... and she has been so unhelpful. This is what she wrote in the last e-mail:

The truth of the matter is that community college courses are not rated as highly as courses from 4 year colleges. However, since most of your science courses are from there , I don't think having a few from *****, will count for much.

Is she right? would it just be pointless if I went there just and finished up my pre-req's and upper level classes? I've only taken 6 classes at the CC... I was planning on taking even more than that at the 4-year school. I'm feeling very confused and she just ruined the end of a very lovely break. :(

Members don't see this ad.

If i have one piece of advice to ever offer, it is this...do not ever listen to the words that come out of the mouths of adcom members/premed advisors, and the like...if they all hold one thing in common, that commonality falls under the rubric of "hypocrisy," or in short, failing to practice what they preach...the thing that's gonna hold most weight in gaining acceptance to A med school is #.## that appears right besides the "Science GPA" column on your AMCAS primary app, as well as the #, #, # that shows up on your MCAT column. Do yourself a favor and run a search on here for threads concerning the issue of Post-baccs vs Masters....there are countless stories of students calling up schools and being advised to take graduate level courses, and then being screwed over when they actually apply, only to find out that their application was tossed in the basket due to a low undergrad gpa. Hypocrisy: Case in Point. If i were you, just focus on getting those A's, no matter what school it is at...You can switch over to the 4-year for peace of mind if you like, take a few classes, and then apply with confidence. No one should be discouraging you with nonsense blabber

I totally agree with Columbia 22,

Again I just want to inform the people in this post-bacc section that I am a pre-dental major, but have run into similar problems. Applied this year for this cycle but it looks as if my DAT score is going to hold me back, so I have to study hard and take it in August or around there. Anyway, I am in the same situation regarding CCs vs. 4-year-universities in that I have completed most of my pre-reqs at CC (with exception to orgo 1 and 2 over the summer) and also have taken a/p 1 and 2 as well as micro. After calling some post-bacc/masters programs here in Chicago, a few have said the same thing. Its funny though because after having talked to many adcoms of different dental schools, no school has brought this "issue" up. Honestly, its a dumb statement to make. Chances are you (and myself) would be competitive and/or at the top of the class of the post-bacc programs. I am not sure why the programs that are helping students like you and I to try to get in to Professional schools are making such ludacris comments. This isnt to say that 1 or 2 med/dental schools might decide that CC credit isnt worthy of their attention, but the majority of the schools you apply toWILL look at your score. Anyway, because my gpa is ok some professional schools are advising against me enrolling in one of these programs, but I am still looking into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This seems to be a case of inept advisor. I would be careful about making blanket statements about not listen to all advisors. My advisor left it up to me to go for masters but he didn't feel a need for me to go that route

Lilithny when in doubt talk to the admissions people of several schools(to eliminate the possibility of getting opinionated suggestions). They will be the ones that will have a final say.

Yeah, I'll admit Blankguy's right; I just get frustrated when I see that people are being discouraged by what could be misinformation. Not all advisors are bad; the take-home point is to listen to their advice but have it verified by other sources.

chicagomel said:
Yeah, I'll admit Blankguy's right; I just get frustrated when I see that people are being discouraged by what could be misinformation. Not all advisors are bad; the take-home point is to listen to their advice but have it verified by other sources.

You could do the person a favor by running by the advice that a specific person has been getting through your sources and post their responses here. :D

I agree that you cant always listen to opinionated people like us, but my point on this whole issue is basically what Blankguy said with a few additions. Namely, just work hard and get good grades, do well on the MCAT (or whatever professional school you choose to go to), apply early, get in touch with the adcoms of the schools you applied to, volunteer, and basically do as much as you can to increase your 'marketability'. It may sounds materialistic, but if you want to get in badly enough, you will do whatever it takes. The main idea is: do what you have to do to get in and dont let anyone discourage you with their opinion of why you "arent a good candidate". CC may be "looked down upon" but if you get interviews you know that it didnt matter. Ultimately, its your admission test score and GPA. Quality of institution isnt the name of the game. Anyway, good luck. I should take some of this advice myself.

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate all of it!

I've decided not to apply for the post-bacc program. I'm just going to finish up the pre-req's at the CC and then switch over to the 4-year for the upper level courses. I'm definitely going to study my butt off for the MCAT and tentatively have a research project lined up for the summer. I totally agree with the marketability- gotta do everything I possibly can to give myself an edge.

With that decided I feel so much better, and can focus on more important things (like my new mp3 player :clap: )

Should have known better than to be discouraged by one person. :mad:

If anyone here is taking the MCAT next week... GOOD LUCK!!

lilithny said:
I am so frustrated.

The truth of the matter is that community college courses are not rated as highly as courses from 4 year colleges. However, since most of your science courses are from there , I don't think having a few from *****, will count for much.
:(

Lilthny,

My experience with advisors have been horrible. Thus, I tend not to listen to them. Not that I'm saying your advisor is bad, but you should take their advice with a grain of salt.

As for your concern, don't be. A while back, I posted a similar question, and I got a great response from an unknown member:

"Do you really want to go to a school that looks down on Community Colleges?"

For whatever reason(s) you went to a CC, that's your business. I've met many people on SDN that have gotten in with CC credits (all or some). Just do a search of "community college" if you don't believe me. Keep your head up, you'll be fine. :)

pce,

bus.