What is meant by Clinical Case Sign Out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bother you all. I was reading up on the Clinical Molecular Genetics Fellowship at the Mayo Clinic and part of the program description it talks about active involvement in clinical case sign out. What is a clinical case sign out all about? Anyone have a clue?

Here is the link so you can read it in the full context. http://www.mayo.edu/msgme/clinmolec-gen-rch.html

Members don't see this ad.

jonathon said:
Sorry to bother you all. I was reading up on the Clinical Molecular Genetics Fellowship at the Mayo Clinic and part of the program description it talks about active involvement in clinical case sign out. What is a clinical case sign out all about? Anyone have a clue?

Here is the link so you can read it in the full context. http://www.mayo.edu/msgme/clinmolec-gen-rch.html

Hi there,
Most likely this means that as the staff consulting clinical geneticist, you would be the final word on advising as it pertains to genetic counseling in clinical cases. You would also likely be considered the expert interpreter in terms of the final advisement where genetics would be considered in a clinical situation. There are so many nuances to genetics and clinical genetics that handling some of the cases takes an experienced expert. That would be you as the clinical genetics expert. Since these decisions often have profound effects on the lives of your patients and their families, I can see where you would be the consultant's consultant. I suspect that Mayo is using the term "clinical case sign out" within the context of "clinical case sign off" meaning the final expert opinion and interpretation. Might be worth a call or e-mail to Mayo as they are extremely helpful in terms of fully explaining their programs.

I hope that this helps.

njbmd :)