What is my problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because some of these private schools receive about 15k applications.

You've been accepted to 2 MD schools, be happy with that. There are thousands of people who don't ever receive 1 MD acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for some advice as to why I am not receiving more interviews - below is a little bit about me.

Reapplicant. Graduated from a top 20 university. Undergrad GPA 3.55 and first MCAT 505. After unsuccessful application - took year off to do BU MAMS program and retake MCAT. Grad GPA 3.95 and new MCAT 519. 2 years of lab research as an undergrad and currently doing clinical research at Mass General. ER scribe for 4 years. Multiple leadership positions (chief scribe, student leader, grad course head tutor). Good service hours - all non medical.

I am a FL resident and have received interviews from USF, UCF and FIU as well as Creighton and BU. Accepted to USF and Creighton. I applied very broadly to a lot of schools and am just curious why I am not having any luck with private schools? I was rejected from Georgetown this week.
It's a seller's market and you're competing with some 50000 other applicants.

Like the humble brag though. Last time I looked, BU and Creighton were private schools.

I do wish SDNers would lose the attitude of "I sent in my apps...where are all my IIs?????

Reactions: 6 users
I guess the only thing you said that could make your application less than perfect was that you said you only have non-clinical volunteer hours; even though you have plenty of exposure as a long-term scribe.

@Goro I am sorry I am not trying to brag or be demanding of interviews! I was more so just curious if my application was flawed in some way because Creighton and BU are very different and I received those interviews in August but otherwise schools have been radio silent. I am grateful for any opportunities I am given but just was getting worried.

@Goro I am sorry I am not trying to brag or be demanding of interviews! I was more so just curious if my application was flawed in some way because Creighton and BU are very different and I received those interviews in August but otherwise schools have been radio silent. I am grateful for any opportunities I am given but just was getting worried.
60% of all applicants get 0 accepts
20% get a single accept

Reactions: 2 users
Getting worried about what, exactly? You have an acceptance. Two in fact. You're going to be a doctor. What precisely is there left to worry about when it comes to your application?

Reactions: 3 users
Getting worried about what, exactly? You have an acceptance. Two in fact. You're going to be a doctor. What precisely is there left to worry about when it comes to your application?

I mean of course that was my main goal and I am thrilled about that. I didn't feel the best connection to either school though, so I was just hoping to find one I really loved.

I mean of course that was my main goal and I am thrilled about that. I didn't feel the best connection to either school though, so I was just hoping to find one I really loved.
What would you want to find in a school that would make you feel like you had a better connection?

Reactions: 1 user
What's your problem? You are an ungrateful whiner with unrealistic expectations. That's a problem you need to work on.
You're an academician who just degraded herself to name-calling someone who had a reasonable question. What's your problem? Geeze.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have received interviews from 5 schools so far...accepted to 2. So far you didn't feel love for any of those 5 schools? If not, then the problem is very likely with you, not with the schools. What would it take for you to love a school? A top 20 ranking?

You need to take a good hard look into yourself if you are not absolutely ecstatic about having 5 interviews and 2 acceptances.

Reactions: 6 users
You're an academician who just degraded herself to name-calling someone who had a reasonable question. What's your problem? Geeze.

Only 40% of people get an acceptance. Only 20% of people get more than one acceptance. OP has 5 IIs and 2 acceptances from very decent ranking schools, putting OP at the top of the list. And yet.... OP is still complaining. Do you not understand how ungrateful that is? Do you have any idea how many people are left feeling helpless and desperate just to get into a single school? If that's not what a whiny, ungrateful person is, then I don't know what is.

LizzyM was trying to knock some sense into OP. OP will not fare well in medical school with such a clear lack of self-awareness and inflated ego.

Reactions: 10 users
Only 40% of people get an acceptance. Only 20% of people get more than one acceptance. OP has 5 IIs and 2 acceptances from very decent ranking schools, putting OP at the top of the list. And yet.... OP is still complaining. Do you not understand how ungrateful that is? Do you have any idea how many people are left feeling helpless and desperate just to get into a single school? If that's not what a whiny, ungrateful person is, then I don't know what is.

LizzyM was trying to knock some sense into OP. OP will not fare well in medical school with such a clear lack of self-awareness and inflated ego.

I have the same feeling. I wonder, if the OP didn't like the two schools she/he applied to, why she/he applied there at the first hand? I knew there were a few places where I would not be happy (weathers, culture, locations....) so I didn't bother to apply. I only applied to those schools that I felt comfortable with and would be more than happy to attend if that is my only choice. It feels to me it is more like an ego issue.....

I have the same feeling. I wonder, if the OP didn't like the two schools she/he applied to, why she/he applied there at the first hand? I knew there were a few places where I would not be happy (weathers, culture, locations....) so I didn't bother to apply. I only applied to those schools that I felt comfortable with and would be more than happy to attend if that is my only choice. It feels to me it is more like an ego issue.....
To be fair to OP in this particular regard, one could get a negative opinion after interviewing. How many of you have test drove a car and then not liked it? Or tried on some clothes and then not liked them?

Reactions: 1 users

OP has AMAZING stats and is just wondering why she didn't get more offers. It's a fair question. By your logic are we not allowed to wonder why we didn't do better just so long as we have an acceptance? Calm down. So many desperate and bitter people on SDN get triggered if anyone with an acceptance has anything negative to say. This is like when people with bad working conditions are told "stop complaining, at least you have a job."

OP has AMAZING stats and is just wondering why she didn't get more offers. It's a fair question. By your logic are we not allowed to wonder why we didn't do better just so long as we have an acceptance? Calm down. So many desperate and bitter people on SDN get triggered if anyone with an acceptance has anything negative to say. This is like when people with bad working conditions are told "stop complaining, at least you have a job."

Yes, that's exactly my point. For OP to suggest that she should have gotten in more places because of her stats suggests, on some level, that OP thinks she deserves to get more interviews, which is the prime definition of arrogance.

Just because USF and Creighton aren't top 10's, doesn't mean they are 'bad' schools by any means like you just suggested. They are wonderful schools that produce wonderful doctors.

Calm down and get a snack. Might I suggest some ice cream to counteract all that salt in your system?

So, in your analogy, just clarify, do you imply that the two schools that granted OP admissions are bad working conditions?

Yes, that's exactly my point. For OP to suggest that she should have gotten in more places because of her stats suggests, on some level, that OP thinks she deserves to get more interviews, which is the prime definition of arrogance.

Just because USF and Creighton aren't top 10's, doesn't mean they are 'bad' schools by any means like you just suggested.
I never suggested they were bad schools but I'm not surprised you read into something that wasn't there. Go eat some sugar cuz you're super bitter.

So, in your analogy, just clarify, do you imply that the two schools that granted OP admissions are bad working conditions?
Just because something isn't bad, or even good, doesn't mean you can't do better. That's all the OP was wondering.

I never suggested they were bad schools but I'm not surprised you read into something that wasn't there. Go eat some sugar cuz you're super bitter.

If I'm the one whose bitter...... then your pH must be higher than your self-awareness.

Can't do better in terms of what?
It isn't hard to understand. If you're trolling I'm not bothering anymore. If you really don't understand it I pity you.

It isn't hard to understand. If you're trolling I'm not bothering anymore. If you really don't understand it I pity you.

Honestly, I don't think it is a healthy attitude when engaging in conversation. But it is understandable, it is an anonymous online forum. I think some of us are trying to clarify what did OP, or you, mean by "better", and upon what cultural/social assumptions.

I think @Cheenghee Koh was trying to get you to admit that what you're really talking about is US News rankings and prestige. It's better to just come out and say it rather than try to beat around the bush.

Reactions: 1 users

She has an extremely large ego and perfectly exemplifies one of the biggest issues with the culture of medicine. Not a person you want to model yourself after. She's one of those people you encounter in the 'hidden curriculum' and think "wow, I hope I never become that." She also contributes to the bad reputation that SDN has. Last year she said my application was "run of the mill" and I'd be lucky to get an acceptance. Ended up with an acceptance to 2 tops 15's and 2 others. She's good with numbers but has difficulty looking past what's on the surface.

Get a room guys. Thread has run its course.

Agreed. Closing.

Those who have responded negatively to the OP's question that he/she should "take whatever they can get and be thankful for it" are the real problem on this forum. Some people have stats that barely let them scrape into a MD (or DO) school. Others have a goal of a specific ranking. While you may disagree, based on principle or a person's stats, or whatever, to insinuate that people should not have goals besides "get into any MD school of any kind" is a serious projection and diminishes the value of SDN, especially if people cannot make that point without vitriol. Everyone who was negative to the OP in this thread, I encourage you to re-evaluate your methods of advice giving, and ask yourself if someone is not better answered with facts rather than emotion.

Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.