What is post-bachelor program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CareRx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell what post-bachelor program is?
I heard dome pre-med students take it. Why usually they do it? What the program does? I've been thinking if it can apply to me and help in some difficulties that I am having now.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I meant SOME pre-med students...

I didn't use a post-bacc. program, but it is my understanding that post-bacc. programs are designed to fulfill medical school pre-reqs for people who, for whatever reason, have a bachelor's degree already, but have not finished the necessary coursework for admission to medical school. It has nothing to do with being 'dome'. There really isn't anything to cure that, I'm afraid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Care Rx, I just read your post again, and I'm looking at it differently. When I first read it, it sounding like you were insulting post-bacc people, but now that I read it more carefully, it sounds like you are referring to yourself as dumb. Why would you think of yourself that way, and what is going on with you?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Laura JC:
[QB] When I first read it, it sounding like you were insulting [QB]••••::::sigh:::: I meant: :rolleyes: it SOUNDED like you were insulting. Sorry. I probably should have taken a post-bacc. program.

Laura:
I really did not mean to insult anyone at all.
It was just a typo (some NOT dome). Sorry it came out this way!

Hey Kids-

To correct your errors, click on the little pencil and paper icon above your post. That way you can edit your posts and not look like dork. And no, I'm not callign y'all dorks

Go to the page below for post-Bacc info. If you have any questions about the MCP/Hahnemann one, just PM me. Good luck

<a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/considering/postbac.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/students/considering/postbac.htm</a>

Warren-
Thanks for the tip!

WISC-ite:
I know about this Link, but thanks a lot anyway.
I really want to know what this program is all about and why people usually enroll.
My situation is that I think I did not do well in Chem. The results are not posted yet, but if I was
not successsful, I have to retake it next year. In this case, I might not be able to meet all
the pre-med requirements within 4 years.

It is my understanding that people enroll in them for a couple of reasons:

1. They decided after graduating from college that they want to become a doctor and need to take the pre-med requirements.
OR
2. They took the pre-med requirements but want to boost their GPA before applying to med school.

How long does the post-bachelor program take?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by CareRx:
•How long does the post-bachelor program take?•••••It totally depends on the school. I am starting a program in the fall, and it will take me 2 years to complete, but only because I will be working full-time too. Some programs can be completed in one year.

Also, some schools only offer post-bacc to students with little or no science background (not just to boost your GPA). Make sure you check into the schools you are interested in carefully.

Kristen

•••quote:•••Originally posted by CareRx:
•How long does the post-bachelor program take?•••••It took me 12 months to complete Temple's post bac program. I took a leave of absence from work and just went for it:

Summer 2000: General Chemistry + labs

Fall 2000: Physics, Biology, Organic Chem all with labs.

Spring 2001: Physics, Biology, Organic Chem all with labs and the MCAT in April.

Summer/Fall 2002: Starting medical school. :clap:

Trust me, it can be done in a year. You just have to be willing to make HUGE sacrifices and not everyone can.

Thanks to everyone for the informative answers.
USSDFIANT: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

One more detail I would like to find out: If only one or two pre-med requirements are missing or needed to be boosted, would I still need to do all 4 sciences or can I get away with fulfilling only that which is still needed.

No, some programs are based upon refresher courses and there are many programs out there. You can find a program that meets your specific needs...just shop around for it. Programs vary in length from one year to several.

Best of luck and choose wisely.