What is the best cross-sectional anatomy atlas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you guys recommend as the best cross-sectional anatomy atlas?

Members don't see this ad.

Pewl said:
Without question.

Pewl said:

Hi there,
My choice is: Human Cross-Sectional Anatomy (Pocket Atlas of body sections and CT images) by Ellis, Logan and Dixon. This little book contains everything that you need and nothing you don't. My faculty advisor, the chairman of surgery at my medical school, gave me this book when I started Gross Anatomy. I still use it as a General Surgery resident today. Great book!

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Rohen has cross sectional anatomy? I thought it only had that huge photographic atlas? Does Rohen have a separate cross-sectional book or is it included in the big color atlas?

Pewl said:
Rohen has cross sectional anatomy? I thought it only had that huge photographic atlas? Does Rohen have a separate cross-sectional book or is it included in the big color atlas?
It has cross sectional in it, obliques, etc. But, I found CT images online much more helpful in the understanding of relationships that we would see on exams. Also, find some good angiograms! Those are priceless for understanding the course of vessels.
I used Rohen as a quiz. the names weren't right next to the structure, so you could write out a list and check you answers. Worked for moi, anyway.

good luck

As mentioned above, you should use CT or MRI images to learn cross-sectional anatomy. That's what you'll use to look at cross-sections in the your career, and likely how you'll be tested on the exam.