What is the "best" place to learn retail?

Started by starsweet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

starsweet

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't worked in a retail pharmacy yet but expect to start during school or between breaks to accrue the 500 hours that are needed outside of school (at least in Georgia). My first question is, can you work in a hospital or do most people do retail? And second, what is a good place to learn retail? It seems like a lot of people complain about Wags? Yet it's supposed to be the best place for retail, so I'm confused. Plus I hear the differences in the computer systems make each company really different.
 
If you're going to Savannah, CVS will be your best bet. There are only 3 Walgreens in the area.

The busier and chaotic a store is, the more you will learn. It may seem weird, but you will see a lot that you normally do not see at a slower store. It really helps too if you're a self starter
 
Caverject said:
If you're going to Savannah, CVS will be your best bet. There are only 3 Walgreens in the area.

The busier and chaotic a store is, the more you will learn. It may seem weird, but you will see a lot that you normally do not see at a slower store. It really helps too if you're a self starter

To further elaborate, there's good and bad to either a busy or a slow store. Your knowledge won't come down to X scripts/day, it'll come down to who you were around. If you have a great pharmacist who wants to teach you a lot of detail, a slow store would be a great environment. If you have a pharmacist who doesn't wanna teach you, a busy one might be better as you'll see more.

Try to pick up on personalities rather than sheer quantity. I find recent grads more helpful as well, and theres a possibility you can do it OTC with them later.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Requiem said:
To further elaborate, there's good and bad to either a busy or a slow store. Your knowledge won't come down to X scripts/day, it'll come down to who you were around. If you have a great pharmacist who wants to teach you a lot of detail, a slow store would be a great environment. If you have a pharmacist who doesn't wanna teach you, a busy one might be better as you'll see more.

Try to pick up on personalities rather than sheer quantity. I find recent grads more helpful as well, and theres a possibility you can do it OTC with them later.

I gotta agree with Requiem here - it mostly comes down to who you work with. But....give us older grads a break - I can be pretty helpful! Now what is that "do it OTC with them later"????? - it sounds provocative! I've not been working in the right places!
 
sdn1977 said:
I gotta agree with Requiem here - it mostly comes down to who you work with. But....give us older grads a break - I can be pretty helpful! Now what is that "do it OTC with them later"????? - it sounds provocative! I've not been working in the right places!

Hahah that's true, you're a cool guy - really bad to make any generalizations there. Yeah the fact theyre younger, you might have a chance to do it OTC with them. You know what OTC means, and you know what it implies hahah.
 
Requiem said:
Hahah that's true, you're a cool guy - really bad to make any generalizations there. Yeah the fact theyre younger, you might have a chance to do it OTC with them. You know what OTC means, and you know what it implies hahah.

😳 Goodness! You flatter me! I think my husband would object & my children would be horrified (they are probably your age 😱 ). But.....I may polish off my resume nonetheless....I may not retire after all!! :laugh: