What is the conventional thing to do after TAing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chippopotamus

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'm a long time lurker and this is my first post! I am currently an undergrad TA for an intro bio class, but I won't be continuing with this next semester (timing conflicts). The professor and graduate students leading the class know me relatively well, but I was wondering if should ask for a letter of recommendation? I'm still a first year student so med school are very far away; should I try to maintain my relationship with the prof? Ask for a general LOR (e.g. just endorsing my character)? Any insight would be appreciated, thank you!
 
I think it’s too soon to get a letter to hold on to, you might meet other professors and not need it. Also, it’ll look like you just did the job one semester for a letter. Try to get back as a TA with the professor in future semesters is my opinion.