What is the correlation between the number of interviews to an acceptance at DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twodoctors

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done any studies on the correlation between the number of interviews that typically result in an acceptance to a DO program? I'm aware that there is no magic formula, but the more number interviews increases the applicant's chance of gaining an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all of them. Then there can be no regrets.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know people who had 10 interviews with 1 acceptance, whiles others went 1 for 1. Personally, I went 3/3 and then didn't go on any more interviews that I was invited to. the reason there is no formula is because lots of great students suck at interviews, and lots of students who only get 1 interview are amazing at interviewing.

Reactions: 2 users
dont know about DO, but interview for 3 an MD you'll be.

I know people who had 10 interviews with 1 acceptance, whiles others went 1 for 1. Personally, I went 3/3 and then didn't go on any more interviews that I was invited to. the reason there is no formula is because lots of great students suck at interviews, and lots of students who only get 1 interview are amazing at interviewing.
Agree...there is no magic formula. Good interview skills are priceless.

If you find yourself needing to apply DO, literally apply to all of them. I’m a student at a school where I don’t have any ties at all and applied on a whim.

I went 2/3. It'll be different with everyone based on how well you interview. And it'll be different based on how many schools you apply to. I only did 10.

Depends on so many factors. 2 sources I found for my states DO school have post II acceptances at 93% and 80% for IS applicants. If either of these are right you basically have to try and fail the interview. Some schools I imagine have lower chances. Someone with 5 IS IIs will have a way higher chance than someone with 5 OOS IIs. If you have a lot of experience talking with people and are a good communicator you will have a way better chance than if you went from studying in your room, to studying in your dorm, to working in a lab.

I went 2 As for 5 DO IIs, and 0 for 3 MD IIs personally

Depends on so many factors. 2 sources I found for my states DO school have post II acceptances at 93% and 80% for IS applicants. If either of these are right you basically have to try and fail the interview. Some schools I imagine have lower chances. Someone with 5 IS IIs will have a way higher chance than someone with 5 OOS IIs. If you have a lot of experience talking with people and are a good communicator you will have a way better chance than if you went from studying in your room, to studying in your dorm, to working in a lab.
Can I ask what school?

1/2 for me in the '19-'20 cycle. I have a feeling people with a lower proportional number of A's or lower total number of II's won't volunteer info so the numbers will be inflated in typical SDN fashion. You could sort of use the chart of schools' post-interview acceptances rates, which varies from roughly 20-80% to come up with a figure. But you'd be making a lot of leaps of logic.

I think this would also be almost impossible to study in a way that produced meaningful results, ie results you could use to estimate your likelihood of acceptance based on #II's. I envision one would have to inventory the entirety of an application (similar to the LizzyM score). But it would be very challenging to quantify personal factors that are key in an interview, particularly if they're self-reported.

All that being said, if you do the math on it and make lots of unjustifiable assumptions just to have a ballpark figure, 3-4 II should net 1 A.

Has anyone done any studies on the correlation between the number of interviews that typically result in an acceptance to a DO program? I'm aware that there is no magic formula, but the more number interviews increases the applicant's chance of gaining an acceptance.
No because defining a control population would be a nightmare. :)