What is the deal with the non-time limited certifications being issued?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cellpathology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Colleague of mine just got his re-certification certificate for AP / cytology (AP only + cytology). They make a comment stating this is non-time limited....... What is the implication of this? I cannot find anything on the ABP website explaining this. Does anybody have any actual idea? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong, but I THINK I saw something similar from Fam Med board (I let my cert lapse), that certification will no longer be "time-limited", i.e. certificate good for 7, 10 etc years, but to be considered "Board Certified" will require annual or some periodic compliance with a multitude of requirements, QA/QC, CME, etc, and the old days of passing an exam every X# of years as the "marker" of certification are gone. Was not aware ABP had gone this way, but if that's the case, not surprised. Wish they would get rid of re-cert exam before March (when i am scheduled);):)

I could be wrong, but I THINK I saw something similar from Fam Med board (I let my cert lapse), that certification will no longer be "time-limited", i.e. certificate good for 7, 10 etc years, but to be considered "Board Certified" will require annual or some periodic compliance with a multitude of requirements, QA/QC, CME, etc, and the old days of passing an exam every X# of years as the "marker" of certification are gone. Was not aware ABP had gone this way, but if that's the case, not surprised. Wish they would get rid of re-cert exam before March (when i am scheduled);):)

I mean best i can tell it's completely pointless to designate it as such......

Colleague of mine just got his re-certification certificate for AP / cytology (AP only + cytology). They make a comment stating this is non-time limited....... What is the implication of this? I cannot find anything on the ABP website explaining this. Does anybody have any actual idea? Thanks.

His old certificate from 2007 said it expired in 2017. His new certificate has the verbiage that the certificate is only valid with ongoing participation in MOC. I think they just don't want to have to reprint everyone's certificates every 10 years anymore.