1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

What is the difference between selective and elective rotations?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by golgotha, Nov 30, 2008.

1. golgotha

golgotha New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can someone please explain the difference between a selective clerkship and an elective? My understanding is that a selective is chosen for you, and an elective is chosen by you. Thanks.

2. JonnyG

JonnyG IN the hospitals....
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it could vary by school at pcom a selective is you choose from a list of fields and do a rotaiton in it like an internal medicine selective is anything in internal med. An elective is whatever you want. Some place may help set it up others wont

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. futuredo32

futuredo32 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At MSUCOM, an elective can be done at any location you choose while a selective must be done at one of the hospitals in the statewide system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    at UNECOM as a 4th year we have to do selectives in internal medicine, surgery, OMM, and ER... they can be at whatever hospital you want, and doing whatever you want within reason (ER has to be a full out ER not just peds, but internal medicine i did a peds cards month and that counted, surgery can be ortho, uro, etc.)... an elective is doing whatever you want and whatever hospital you want to...