1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

What is the difference.......

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by richierich, Nov 28, 2000.

1. richierich

richierich Senior Member

Could I please get some info on what is the difference between a DDS and a DMD??
    Thanks,

A lowly med 1

Richard

And smart @sses need not apply

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. allsmiles

allsmiles Junior Member

There is no difference in a DDS and DMD, most schools in the east give DMD, while other schools out west give DDS, but it's all the same.

4. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually heard that most east coast schools give out DDSs and most west coast schools give out DMDs.

There is absolutely no difference. One DMD told me that the DDS is the traditional dental degree, but because many within organized dentistry felt the DDS was not as recognizable as something with the letters "M" and "D" in it, there was a move to award DMDs. Only some schools today award DMDs, usually newer dental schools. I personally wouldn't give a fuzzy rat's butt, but I've known people who chose one school over another simply because it was DDS vs. DMD.
    Sounds like an MD vs. DO debate to me! [​IMG]

Tim of New York City.

5. richierich

richierich Senior Member

Thanks, this has bugged me for a while.

Richard